Order Now: Caspian - Tertia - 2xLP - 4th Press - Mylene Sheath (2015)

There's a fair bit of tremolo here and there, as was prevalent for post-rock at the time.  (And still pretty frequent today.)  But the album offers so much more that you're missing the point if you choose to get hung up on that.

I agree that the production leaves a bit to be desired, though.  Especially in the drums.  I wouldn't be the least bit opposed to an eventual remaster.

There's a fair bit of tremolo here and there, as was prevalent for post-rock at the time.  (And still pretty frequent today.)  But the album offers so much more that you're missing the point if you choose to get hung up on that.

I agree that the production leaves a bit to be desired, though.  Especially in the drums.  I wouldn't be the least bit opposed to an eventual remaster.

I wish they would just re-record it, with all the old school equipment of analog yester-year, and those dudes with magic fingers and ears - like drummers Aaron Harris and Chris Common mixing, mastering, etc. But that will never happen.

I think Derek's first post on my WTB thread warned that the 1st press of this 'sounds like balls' - and it really does. I listen to 2nd press Gold and it's not bad, but after hearing them Live, I wonder if any recording could do it justice.

Side note: 2nd  press YATC Black is one the more quiet records I own re: any surface noise and also feel like it's a very good representation of the Live experience.

Totally agree Tertia sounds a bit "muddy", no matter what format you listen to it on, but still a classic nonetheless. "La Cerva" got me into the band & I've always loved the subtleties of that song.

The recorded version of "Sycamore" doesn't even remotely come close to doing that song justice though. It's just one of those songs that HAS to be experienced live.

Totally agree Tertia sounds a bit "muddy", no matter what format you listen to it on, but still a classic nonetheless. "La Cerva" got me into the band & I've always loved the subtleties of that song.

The recorded version of "Sycamore" doesn't even remotely come close to doing that song justice though. It's just one of those songs that HAS to be experienced live.

It's impossible to see Sycamore live and not be moved.

Haha don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking it or indicating that I dislike it. Its a great record. Just not my favorite.

Everything Caspian has ever put out is amazing, which is pretty incredible.

Could you imagine if they recorded this album with Matt Bayles? fuuuuuck

But yeah, Tertia is a wall of mud. It doesn't breathe.

Which is kind of fitting for the album art and color scheme... it all goes together very well, which is a pretty cool thing.

I wish they would just re-record it, with all the old school equipment of analog yester-year, and those dudes with magic fingers and ears - like drummers Aaron Harris and Chris Common mixing, mastering, etc. But that will never happen.

I think Derek's first post on my WTB thread warned that the 1st press of this 'sounds like balls' - and it really does. I listen to 2nd press Gold and it's not bad, but after hearing them Live, I wonder if any recording could do it justice.

Side note: 2nd  press YATC Black is one the more quiet records I own re: any surface noise and also feel like it's a very good representation of the Live experience.

I've spoken to the guys about Tertia... they know that record didn't come out sounding the way they wanted. Mention has been made that they plan to rerecord this one. I'm sure this will eventually happen... soon enough :)

I've spoken to the guys about Tertia... they know that record didn't come out sounding the way they wanted. Mention has been made that they plan to rerecord this one. I'm sure this will eventually happen... soon enough :)

Dave Grohl, I smell another 3-5 variants in the future haha.

But for real, this would be amazing.  

Listening to my clear pilsner press right now, actually.

Anybody know why they did this at 45rpm? Just curious why some groups do that. Is there a benefit?

Absolutely. Grooves have more space and can carry more information, making the sound richer, deeper, smoother.

I listened to Tertia today and I totally get what you're talking about. I just can't put a name on it.

Absolutely. Grooves have more space and can carry more information, making the sound richer, deeper, smoother.

I listened to Tertia today and I totally get what you're talking about. I just can't put a name on it.

What, do you mean the "compressed" and kind of squashed sound?

My theory is that its a lack of high end in the mastering... it's not a very bright record.

The recent "Red Forest" repress suffers from this very same problem. The record still sounds great, but it has this quality of sounding like it has a ceiling... or that it's in a box. Its hard to explain.

But it basically comes down to a lack of high end, I think. It doesn't *sparkle* the way say, Isis records have that brightness that sparkles out of your speakers.

Totally a lack of treble or any sort of high end in the recording. And the tracks do seem to have a "compressed" feel. It works really well for Tertia though. It fits the mood. The artwork. The overall feel of the record being just kind of dark. Also for the time frame that it came out. I dig it. Sycamore always seems to have a little more high end to me. Until parts where the full band is jamming. Whatever, Tertia FTW.

I hate when I'm listening to an album for the first time and I have no idea if it should be spun at 45 or 33 haha.  Just add a small notation on the label or something!

But I have always noticed my 45's sounding way way better overall.

seriously! If a label is going beyond and pressing something at 45..flaunt that shit! I did it with 'Another Language' as well and was like...'Tunnel Blanket 2.0'??

What, do you mean the "compressed" and kind of squashed sound?

My theory is that its a lack of high end in the mastering... it's not a very bright record.

Yeah lack of high end, that's it. It doesn't sound dull, but considering the mastering job it kinda should, if that makes any sense. But it suits the songs in a claustrophobic, intimate way.