PO: Coheed & Cambria - The Color Before the Sun

Listened to the CD while chatting on the drive back from NYCC...I'll revise after a solid listen, but...

It's a solid pop/ rock album. It's not bad. It's not their best, but it's absolutely different from previous releases. It's shorter, poppier, but still impressive. It's more true to reality. Easier to relate to than some other songs shrouded in metaphoric stories. It's worth hearing before you buy, but the more you hear it, the more you like it. That's why I'm considering it pop rock as opposed to a prog or "metal" album. It's catchy and pop laden. Like Taylor Swift, Genesis, The Clash, etc. It sounds like none of those people, but it has similar effect.

To be fair, Genesis really did go through the same metamorphosis that Coheed seems to be experiencing. Early Genesis was suuuuper weird prog shit, P. Gabriel left the band and they got progressively poppier, and more mainstream. The main difference is that I celebrate Genesis's entire catalogue, whereas I don't feel the same way about Coheed.

It's a really good comparison, though.

To be fair, Genesis really did go through the same metamorphosis that Coheed seems to be experiencing. Early Genesis was suuuuper weird prog shit, P. Gabriel left the band and they got progressively poppier, and more mainstream. The main difference is that I celebrate Genesis's entire catalogue, whereas I don't feel the same way about Coheed.

It's a really good comparison, though.

That's fair. I wasn't sure why I thought of Genesis, but your explanation makes sense now (love some Gabriel).

It's genuinely a good album, it's just not Good Apollo 3. I'm sure we mostly knew that, but it's definitely a "divider" of the fanbase. I do like it. I also don't frown on most pop. The lyrics are pretty personal to Claude and Chondra, the music is catchy (mostly), but the arrangements are well done and it's "smooth" or fluid. I can't wait to spin it vs. a car ride CD listen. I would recommend giving it a chance even if you're a casual Coheed fan and especially if you like the poppier songs.

It's not the best pic, but here's my copy of the "Storm Blue" vinyl. It's a clear blue with slight haze/ marbling. I guess it's the tour variant. It's limited to 1000 according to Blaze James. This one is signed as it was signed at the Coheed signing. It is about 140g, so not heavy weight but not flimsy. The inner is thick and nice plus has liner notes/ lyrics (double plus: it comes with a regular white paper inner sleeve). The art is matte and gloss variations. It's gatefold, and it does come with CD. It's selling for $25, but everything is costlier at NYCC because a. NYC and b. comic con. I also bought a plush syringa/ dragonfly for $15 because I'm a fanboy sucker for neat merch (and James Champion wanted one, so I figured "why not...I'll probably have a kid soon anyways"). 

12074902_10201269965547312_1294788142796