PO: Coheed & Cambria - The Color Before the Sun

I have listened to this album numerous times in a couple of different settings and I'm sad to say it's easily their worst album. It has plenty of heart as the lyrics seem personal, though cheesy, but sadly, it has no soul. It's thin, transparent, and lifeless. It has little to no personality. It's Coheed-lite. Even other Coheed albums I don't like as much as others (SSTB and YotBR) has that weight, that passion that moves me. This album lacks that.

Maybe it's the lack of a story that was behind the other albums, or the obvious attempt to get exposure ("please download the digital files so they'll chart!!!") that resulted in a poppier album, either way, the album is a real dud for me.

I have listened to this album numerous times in a couple of different settings and I'm sad to say it's easily their worst album. It has plenty of heart as the lyrics seem personal, though cheesy, but sadly, it has no soul. It's thin, transparent, and lifeless. It has little to no personality. It's Coheed-lite. Even other Coheed albums I don't like as much as others (SSTB and YotBR) has that weight, that passion that moves me. This album lacks that.

Maybe it's the lack of a story that was behind the other albums, or the obvious attempt to get exposure ("please download the digital files so they'll chart!!!") that resulted in a poppier album, either way, the album is a real dud for me.

I felt this way after the first couple of listens. I would still say it's Coheed lite even. But the catchiness of the songs won me over, the track by track article about the songs really pushed the story behind them for me, and really as a husband and father From Here to Mars, Ghost, and Atlas really struck a chord with me.

Claudio really opened up on this, and without the thick candy sci-fi coating they do come off a little cheesy. But I wouldn't say they have no soul, dude's leaving putting his feelings out there on this. You can't have many more life changing events than he did writing this and they're all on here.

It's definitely different, I don't put it in the same ballpark as most of the other albums, but I still like it. I think if they were grabbing for exposure they would've abandoned the concept way before their 8th album. Telling people to download is simply getting credit for their work, can't really blame them for that.

Tour?

Gotta be. Cincinnati always gets lumped in with their little "pre-tour" run of warm-up shows, then we get left off the full deals. Not that I'm complaining, that show a couple weeks ago was very good, a nice mix of their discography. 

Also, other than his son's name, an Atlas is a book of maps so yeah.

Feb 22 - House of Blues - Boston, MA
Feb 25 - Royal Oak Music Theatre - Royal Oak, MI
Feb 26 - Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, IL
Feb 27 - Myth Live Event Center - Saint Paul, MN
Feb 29 - The LC Indoor Pavilion - Columbus, OH
Mar 01 - Stage AE - Indoor - Pittsburgh, PA
Mar 02 - Echostage - Washington, DC
Mar 04 - Theater at Madison Square Garden - New York, NY, USA
Mar 05 - The Fillmore - Philadelphia, PA
Mar 07 - The Ritz - Raleigh, NC
Mar 08 - The Fillmore Charlotte - Charlotte, NC
Mar 10 - The Fillmore - Miami Beach, FL