PO: TWIABP - Death to New Years

I know TWIABP is full of stand up gals/guys but it is still weird to me that they would sign to, and therefore promote Epitaph, a label that clearly doesn't give a fuck about supporting a dude like Ronnie Radke.

While I see your point and slightly agree, if they were that selective about labels who support asshats, they'd never be signed. Despite some of Epitaph's douchebaggery, it'll definitely be good for the band when their LP drops. Epitaph is really skilled at promotion. Subtly too. The entire 1st and 2nd season of the shitty television incarnation of "Under the Dome" had some serious Epitaph swag on the most random walls. I spotted a Lawrence Arms "Metropole" poster on a high school classroom wall.

While I see your point and slightly agree, if they were that selective about labels who support asshats, they'd never be signed. Despite some of Epitaph's douchebaggery, it'll definitely be good for the band when their LP drops. Epitaph is really skilled at promotion. Subtly too. The entire 1st and 2nd season of the shitty television incarnation of "Under the Dome" had some serious Epitaph swag on the most random walls. I spotted a Lawrence Arms "Metropole" poster on a high school classroom wall.

There was a Converge poster too, but that's more the set designers just throwing shit on walls. I think it was The Sopranos where the teenage daughter had like some random obscure black metal band's poster on her wall. Labels send tthingmass promo kits out without really knowing if they'll ever get used or for what.

• 2 weeks later...

My local said they aren't getting this for a couple weeks, ill probably just buy from them if no one else is getting their copies in yet. They were selling 14 min mile for $5 (I got it for $4 since they noticed a slightly bent corner) so it'll probably be cheaper unless I want to place a larger order which isn't affordable for a couple weeks.

Why is every thread turning into boycotting bands and labels based on personal politics shit that has nothing to do with music, you can like music and dislike a person's attitude/politics/whatever, they aren't mutually exclusive. I get if you wanna hate the belltower guy (or whatever pure noise band or whatever band name he used to be in, I could give two shits about any band on that label) or ronnie, drawing the line at sexual assualt is ok. But when it turns into this "fuck every band that has ever toured, been nice to them or label that signed them" it gets ridiculous. Think about the people you work with, do you agree with the politics or actions of every single one of them? From a label's perspective its pretty tough to drop a band when legal charges aren't even filled (this doesn't apply to epitaph they are old school punks and just don't give a fuck). Signing to epitaph was a smart business decision for TWIABP, doesn't mean they have to like everyone of their label mates.

I find it a bit hypocritical that people would literally say, "fuck you if you support any Pure Noise bands or Warped Tour," but have no problem supporting Epitaph.

While I'm not going to involve myself with the whole support/ don't support thing, I can say that "guilty by association" idea is nonsense. However, if any artist I like/ love defended nonsense, that'd be the end of that. However, I'm not going to not listen to Desa, Joyce Manor, TWIABP, et al. beause some douchbag on Epitaph/ Other label is the reason the word "douchebag" exists. If the owner of SRC did something horrendous would everyone here stop using VC? Doubt it.

In the same regard, this community(mostly) has some high standards for what to expect from people, bands, and labels and I absolutely agree with and respect that. Go team VC!

I move on Saturday and this will be the first package I receive at my new place. Pretty stoked.

Also, TWIABP are a very socially conscious group of people. Boycotting them because of their new label would be beyond stupid. They straight up tried to buy their shirt off some dude's back because he was saying racist/sexist shit at a show.

That's rad.

I guess Katie overheard him saying racist shit and she called him out. More of them got involved and he said something like "It was a joke. She just didn't get it because she's a woman." They tried to buy their shirt back because they didn't want someone like him publicly supporting their band. He threatened to fight them, realized there were 9 of them, and ran away calling them pussies.

They're pretty much the best.

I guess Katie overheard him saying racist shit and she called him out. More of them got involved and he said something like "It was a joke. She just didn't get it because she's a woman." They tried to buy their shirt back because they didn't want someone like him publicly supporting their band. He threatened to fight them, realized there were 9 of them, and ran away calling them pussies.

They're pretty much the best.

Everything that is wrong with people is emboldened up there. I'm all for running away like a scaredy-cat so I didn't embolden that.

Side note: I get why people use the word pussy (they're ignorant), but generally the people who say that also say things like "I'm going to get some serious pussy this weekend." So, wouldn't it not be so bad of a thing. Nevermind- I'm going to stop thinking off topic out loud. TWIABPFOREVER.