How To Open A Record Store

Hi everyone. I have tried researching this online and found a little help. However I know there are a few owners that visit this site and I'd love to hear their stories. How long did it take to take your idea of owning a store to actually opening? How much money should you have budgeted? Id appreciate any feedback as this is an idea I'm exploring with a friend. Thanks!

1. Open store

2. Only play music nobody but yourself has heard before

3. Wear t-shirt of obscure metal band that put out one record on a label that no longer exists

4. This is the most important step, so pay attention here- make sure to never, under no circumstances, say hello to a customer or offer assistance as they browse your store. If possible, face opposite direction of customer. Bonus points of this is paired with you eating either pizza or a burrito.

5. Purchase mansion with indoor pool to store the piles of money you will be swimming in, Scrooge McDuck style

1. Open store

3. Wear t-shirt of obscure metal band that put out one record on a label that no longer exists

4. This is the most important step, so pay attention here- make sure to never, under no circumstances, say hello to a customer or offer assistance as they browse your store. If possible, face opposite direction of customer. Bonus points of this is paired with you eating either pizza or a burrito.

Not the owner, but a particular employee at my friend's store here in town fits this to a fucking T

This subject comes up occasionally and my comment is the same -- if there are hundreds of stores closing down every year as reported, you should find one and offer to buy out all their stock. Would be a cheap way to fill your shelves up and then you can augment with the records you really want to carry.

From the owners I've talked to, it's the Classic Rock that moves fastest

I work in a record store and this is 150% true. The people with the money to be regulars and come out to spend every week are middle aged dudes who care about collecting all the different covers of In Through The Out Door and getting a deal on Beatles records.

Ded ur took err jerbs??

THEY TOOK OUR JOBS

1. Open store

5. Purchase mansion with indoor pool to store the piles of money you will be swimming in, Scrooge McDuck style

Hello from Dearborn Music in Dearborn Michigan