So this sucks - Ikea shelving question

I did this with mine here (minus the wood glue on the connectors because I had put my Kallax together prior to the mod): https://www.newrecordday.com/diy-ikea-kallax-record-shelf/

It was not hard to do at all...took me a weekend...and about $80 in parts from a Home Depot.

Here is what mine ended up looking like.

VFTD1P.jpg

That sucks. I've been using the Besta for a few years and it still seems pretty stable. Did you have the back panels installed?

After seeing this, I may look to add some more reinforcement on the back.

The back panel was installed. I think the records leaning on the side may have caused it to bow out and fall. 

I looked at craigslist earlier for Expedits, but a new Kallax is cheaper than what those people are asking for the expedits and ikea is closer to me than those people.

I did this with mine here (minus the wood glue on the connectors because I had put my Kallax together prior to the mod): https://www.newrecordday.com/diy-ikea-kallax-record-shelf/

It was not hard to do at all...took me a weekend...and about $80 in parts from a Home Depot.

Here is what mine ended up looking like.

VFTD1P.jpg

I like this because I was thinking of getting a 2x4 kallax but didn't even think that the shelves might be going the wrong way and that it didn't come with a back panel

When I moved recently I went and got a 2x3 kallex/ikea type shelf  from Target. Seems much sturdier than a lot of the ikea ones people talk about. Plus I mounted to the wall, so it's not goin anywhere.

The shelf on my Target one started bowing really bad after a year or two, so I tossed it. It looked like it wanted to break. Hopefully yours is better quaility than mine was.

Nornas from IKEA is pretty sturdy, the backing isn't the sturdiest, but the shelves I had to hammer together to get them to stick and I used woodtite every single spot where any wood went together. I feel the Nornas are very very sturdy, and while I know they're a bit more expensive than Kallax (or used Expedit) the lack of particle board and extremely tight fit make me feel very comfortable using them for vinyl shelving. Only drawback is its unfinished wood, so there will be a decent amount of wear on the bottom of your records if they're not poly-bagged and if if you don't seal the wood. I'm not terribly bothered by it, and thusfar I highly recommend the Nornas, despite the price.

The shelf on my Target one started bowing really bad after a year or two, so I tossed it. It looked like it wanted to break. Hopefully yours is better quaility than mine was.

The target shelves are great if you leave the feet off or add additional support under the middle. I have 4 that are chock full and one also has a couple hundred pounds of equipment on top. 3 years in and no issues.

The target shelves are great if you leave the feet off or add additional support under the middle. I have 4 that are chock full and one also has a couple hundred pounds of equipment on top. 3 years in and no issues.

I have those as well and they are great, but yeah, leave the feet off haha. I didn't even think of it when I put them together at first and had to pull all of my LPs off so I could remove them.

I did have the feet on mine, so probably was happened. I tossed it out since it was beyond repair.

How many did they press?

Will I have to stay up all night to get one?

Can I use my Hot Cash on it?

I hear Dejasleeve is making a Besta Sleeve too. You choose the cube you want to show.

But seriously, Ikea should have any issues replacing or doing something for you, regardless of misassembly. Something similar happened to me on a smaller scale (dont remember the line) and they were like what do you need?

But seriously, Ikea should have any issues replacing or doing something for you, regardless of misassembly. Something similar happened to me on a smaller scale (dont remember the line) and they were like what do you need?

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet - been swamped at work this week, but I've heard they're good about their warranties. Kind of hoping they don't make the Besta anymore and I'll just get a Kallax - it's a little bigger and just seems more sturdy since it has the extra support.

Update: Customer service in the store says I need a receipt to get the warranty replacement. Unfortunately it's like 2 1/2 years old and I don't have the receipt. They said if we called customer service they could look it up. Called customer service, they can only look it up if I have the date I purchased it, the amount of the purchase and the last 4 digits of the credit card purchased with - because that's all they keep on file. Now in the process of going through old credit card statements trying to figure out which credit card I bought it with.

Takeaway: keep your ikea receipts. Tape it to the bottom of the unit or something.

Assuming I can find it, they do still make the unit, but when I bought it it was sold with 3 shelves. Now they sell the frame and you can choose from different types of shelves. They also don't have the color anymore, so I'm going to try to get the money in store credit and get a Kallax instead

Update #2

I was able to get a receipt through customer service. The unit that broke was probably 2 years old and I had 2 of them (symmetry around my tv unit). I was able to get the receipt for the older one that is about 4 years old. Took the unit apart and took it to the store. They basically run it as a return and the unit set I bought has been discontinued, but not really. When I bought it it was a frame with 3 shelves. Now they sell all the pieces separately. Because it's "discontinued" they weren't able to process a return. The manager offered me a 50% refund as store credit but I told him I didn't want to buy anything else there if it was just going to collapse after 2 years and I'd have to go through the hassle of taking it apart and back to the store and spending an hour on the phone with their customer service (which is awful) to get another 50% refund so they credited my card. Leaning away from getting a Kallax now because I don't want to get anything from IKEA, but tomorrow will be spent on the phone with customer service. 

Mainly just not happy because had the item not been discontinued they'd have taken it back but because they changed stock numbers I only got 50%.

I'm seemingly in the minority on this one, but I can't believe people pile records on ikea furniture. It's cheap overpriced mdf crap, and not meant to hold any substantial weight, and people max these things out and are surprised when they fall apart. How this stuff comes so highly recommended on vinyl collecting message boards is beyond me.

You should absolutely be weary of getting a kallax, it's not going to be any better. Save your money for something made of real wood, or build something with cheap hardwood, wood glue, and spray paint if you're able. It'll cost less than a third of a kallax, and will last decades. And you'll feel awesome about it.

I mean I know it's shitty, but can you really complain if you're even getting anything? Not sure what standard return policy on bigger(ish, it's Ikea) purchaces are, but 2 years seems kinda long. For the $30-40 these cost, 2 years isn't terrible. No, it isn't great, but I just kind of expect this with Ikea, but maybe I'm the minority.