VC Book Club - Book #1: California by Edan Lepucki - Details in OP

Definitely interested.

My "to read" list is pretty extensive as it is, plus I'm an English major so I'm always reading other stuff, but if what is chosen sounds good, I'll give it a shot.

Still in school? If not, what are you doing? I'm a 4th year English major and having a quarter life crisis thinking "what the fuck am I doing".

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I didn't want to start this thread, as I'm not the most avid reader. Just thought this would be a good idea for many including myself since I haven't touched a book in months.

I will probably go the ebook route, since it's more convenient. Although nothing beats a physical copy..

Edit: Don't know if Amazon Kindle is the best option to go for. Anyone recommend any apps? Or does it even matter?

That's why I didn't want to start this thread, as I'm not the most avid reader. Just thought this would be a good idea for many including myself since I haven't touched a book in months.

I will probably go the ebook route, since it's more convenient. Although nothing beats a physical copy..

Edit: Don't know if Amazon Kindle is the best option to go for. Anyone recommend any apps? Or does it even matter?

Are you talking about for a phone/tablet or are you thinking about an e-reader?  I have a Kobo Mini (yes, I know Kobos are sort of a laughingstock in the ereader world, but they're very popular in Canada) and I really like it. That being said, I do most of my reading these days via audiobook. The Kobo Mini is nice because it fits into pockets.

What I love about ereading/audiobooking is that it's exceptionally easy to get books from the library without going into the library (don't get me wrong - I love libraries...I'm just busy). Depending on where you are, you may be able to see if your public library has ebooks available.

Also, I'm happy to lead/guide the group if nobody else is interested. I've never led a book club, but I have taught a lot of grade 4-6 - got my Bridge to Terabithia down pat...

Are you talking about for a phone/tablet or are you thinking about an e-reader?  I have a Kobo Mini (yes, I know Kobos are sort of a laughingstock in the ereader world, but they're very popular in Canada) and I really like it. That being said, I do most of my reading these days via audiobook. The Kobo Mini is nice because it fits into pockets.

What I love about ereading/audiobooking is that it's exceptionally easy to get books from the library without going into the library (don't get me wrong - I love libraries...I'm just busy). Depending on where you are, you may be able to see if your public library has ebooks available.

Also, I'm happy to lead/guide the group if nobody else is interested. I've never led a book club, but I have taught a lot of grade 4-6 - got my Bridge to Terabithia down pat...

Oh, no I meant like which application would be best to use. I usually download Amazon Kindle to my smartphone, but there's NOOK and Google Play Books, so I wasn't sure which was best. Just curious if any of those differ.

Although I do like that little device you mentioned. I have never tried to read on one of those, so I don't know if the experience is a lot better than on a smartphone. The price is pretty great. I'll have to look into it.

I find it way better to read on an ereader over a smartphone. I never feel eye fatigue, and my battery doesn't drain. I bought a Kobo Mini for $50 four years ago and it's still going strong. It fits in jean pockets, coat pockets, etc. If you can find one for cheap, it's a pretty decent device to have. You can manage books with Calibre, a great freeware software (rather than kobo's native software, which is pretty unimpressive).

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe start early next week? Finish by the end of February? I'm usually a fast reader so I'm not sure if it makes sense to pace ourselves or perhaps just discuss at the end of the book?

I might be down for this. Maybe a very loose schedule and then discussion can be hid by spoiler tags for those a little behind would work?

i'm in! ordered a copy off amazon this morning :)

i think a month should be good. i mostly read on my commute and that's only when i get a seat on the train :/

i wish i could do audiobooks. i just space out too much. same thing with podcasts. i don't have the attention span haha

i'm in! ordered a copy off amazon this morning :)

i think a month should be good. i mostly read on my commute and that's only when i get a seat on the train :/

i wish i could do audiobooks. i just space out too much. same thing with podcasts. i don't have the attention span haha

I space out while reading.

Just found an ebook version of this. That should be good hopefully