RIP Sharon Jones

GOTCHA

I was never too familiar with her music and art. A co-worker is big fan and would ask me if I was into the music. Then one of our very own VCers, @jerseydave77, was involved in a documentary about her and her music and battle with cancer and comeback, and it prompted me to watch it. I was immensely moved by the film and the music and Ms. Jones' fire & passion for life. I became a fan without question. 

I'm incredibly crushed at her passing and the loss of a great artist and person from this world. She fought a brave battle. She is incredibly missed. 

Such a beautifully talented person. I feel very thankful that I was able to drag my tired, old ass out and rally on the both nights I saw her. And I got on stage with a bunch of other people at an SF show and danced with her and the Dap-Kings. I'm so happy that she was able to rise up and live her dream as a singer and that the world was lucky enough to experience her talent. She will be deeply missed.

I haven't been around in a while but I got a few texts from folks here. I loved her....and the extended Daptone family. As I switch flights in tears I'll share my quick thoughts and implore you all to buy a record - Sharon always wanted to sell a million! The foundations listed are worthy places too - Lustgarten, the James brown foundation (she loved the kids at JAMP): 

We get to tell stories and each holds a special place but some people change our lives. That's Sharon Jones. That's her family, The Dap-Kings, Lever & Beam, Daptone and the entire extended family that surrounded Sharon.

Sharon redefined the meaning of grace and dignity for me. She literally beat cancer from her body over and over again. Then when this bullshit disease somehow got the upper hand she toured and recorded new music and beat cancer again by not allowing it to define her. She is the best and always will be. 

The night before Sharon had her microabrasion I went up to her hotel with Tony to interview her. I thought for sure she was going to be depressed about her renewed challenge. Halfway through the interview I stopped and said "Sharon, you aren't depressed at all, and I thought you'd have this huge cloud over your head. What gives?" She told us "You can live your life and accept the cancer as part of it or you can let it rule your life." It was the simplest sentiment and moment but it made me smile and understand her on a whole new level. No challenge I've faced since felt quite so big. 

Sharon was a woman of God. I actually enjoyed talking about her unwavering faith. Not long ago she posted to a friends wall "God got you". I am positive that tonight Sharon, God got you. 

You got this far - this photo is from Jacob. The first time Sharon watched Miss Sharon Jones. Nothing could make me happier than seeing her enjoy that film - it was a gift.