ethereal

PO: King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Gumboot Soup

1 hour ago, TheDuke said:

Well got 1 of each, plus a CD and while I was at it..picked up Poly tri color too....they don't look too bad...might be better in the flesh,  than the mock ups show...we'll see.

In my experience, actual ATO pressings never look as good as the mock-ups.... sometimes noticeably worse.

Meh- I'm done with ATO after my experience with their limited MTU release.

Mine arrived quite messed up; worst damage of any record I've gotten mailed. ATO wasn't very willing to make it right- they don't keep limited release extras aside to replace damaged copies, their UPS smart packet shipping doesnt have insurance and 10% refund compensation they hesitantly offered after a few emails to them seemed half hearted.

I'm sure most records make it fine, but if you really want the limited version that will sell out, keep this in mind

1 hour ago, Darnoc said:

Meh- I'm done with ATO after my experience with their limited MTU release.

Mine arrived quite messed up; worst damage of any record I've gotten mailed. ATO wasn't very willing to make it right- they don't keep limited release extras aside to replace damaged copies, their UPS smart packet shipping doesnt have insurance and 10% refund compensation they hesitantly offered after a few emails to them seemed half hearted.

I'm sure most records make it fine, but if you really want the limited version that will sell out, keep this in mind

Whilst, I'll confess that I've only recently started buying from ATO via King Gizz releases last year, and therefor, I perhaps haven't seen the side of the company that you and a few others have experienced; all my orders from them have turned up in perfect condition. In fact, I haven't received a single duff vinyl from any label so far....so can't really share your grievances with them. Perhaps in time that might change..but for now..i'm quite happy with my purchases from them to date.

Very surprised those Flightless pressings sold out, I know it's Gizzard and hype is still high, but I thought that pumpkin was gonna linger. Seeing those ATO variants made me very happy with the Gumboot Death. 

5 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Wrong thread I know...but just received my three Salty Dog variants including the drop dead gorgeous Lava Lamp edition..really pleased I got that one, plus the Lime green & 3rd Colour editions. Final Beer Tree has delivered early too, the twisted Stripe version is very bright! :)

I haven't gotten anything in 2018 yet, but I ordered a Lava Lamp as well. Mock up pic looked really similar to a Wax Mage. My mind just went straight from 'all that Polygondwana stuff will arrive in the near future, maybe February'  to 'I wonder if it'll show up tomorrow'

1 hour ago, watchtower41 said:

So as it stands, the ATO Gumboot Stew variant is the most limited pressing at 1,250, and $15 cheaper too at $25.00. ALL IN.  

You'd be surprised how little this matters. Variant-chasing is not about scarcity; it's about whether a particular variant is desirable or not. Decisions are aesthetic/emotional not algorithmic or statistical. 

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:10 AM, youspinmeround said:

Just buy everything fuzz club records puts out. That should hold you over

Yeh...Fuzz Club....a label i'd never heard of until Poly was released...I'll better have shufty through their bands I see what they're doing. I didn't buy any of their Poly releases, I wasn't quick enough of the mark.

I must confess..I've got nothing lined up for this year so far, other than whatever King Gizz does next..or PPC....so any hints on what to keep an eye out for this year, would be much appreciated folks! :) 

Edited by TheDuke

10 hours ago, jack8urt0n said:

For those interested...

Tour alert: Tix are up for (some?) US tour shows. I just got tix for the San Diego show, June 1. Total was 51.50 for 2 tix (GA).

I've not yet been able to see these guys play live..but would like to..if only they add a date in Wales someday...the three dates in UK that they are doing are all to far from me, alas...and I don't drive cause i'm registered blind! Cities would be nightmare for me to navigate my way around..unless it's Cardiff..a city I do know well enough.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:38 PM, armadillo01 said:

You'd be surprised how little this matters. Variant-chasing is not about scarcity; it's about whether a particular variant is desirable or not. Decisions are aesthetic/emotional not algorithmic or statistical. 

Yes I agree....when I first started collecting vinyl again, a couple of years ago...I wasn't really aware of of this current trend for colour variants...so, of course I was drawn into the whole idea of collecting those exclusively ultra limited 'look at me shiny thing' variants.  And my recent mental obsession of collecting as many of Poly variants as I could, will probably turn the noses up of those purist's (is that the right word?) out there too. But, I can see it's not that important..even though i'm still trying to shrug off this 'completionist' nature at the moment. Yes..I still do like the coloured variants over a standard black, and I don't think that will go away anytime soon..so call me a magpie if you wish, but I do buy  standard black issues too. One thing I will say is this...whilst I will go to SOME lengths to secure an expensive edition (when funds allow) I don't buy valuble limited editions because it's valuble...that's just wrong...if one likes a band..they shouldn't be buying records to profit from..that's immoral in my mind..and detracts from the true meaning of 'being a fan' of a band. I buy records only from those I enjoy listening to...not to make a quick buck from them. I do sometimes buy a couple of copies, from overseas labels..but that just so I can sell one copy off at a later date, to balance out the cost of shipping...Flightless ain't cheap to buy from, and i'm not wealthy man..so every little helps.

I was going to continue collecting every variant produced for all of King Gizz's albums....but I've decided that I don't need to...I haven't got anything by Paper Mache Dream Balloon yet...and only couple of Nonagon...so one or two from PMDB..will do for me think..and black copy too.

Time to grow up bit, and appreciate the music more than the shiny thing, I think!

Yes I know.....I've bought all the Gumboots so far...give me time to adjust will ya! :D

PS....anybody got a sealed PMDB going for sale? I have looked in discogs....the tri color is commanding too high a price at the moment, as much as I do like it..so just asking around. Maybe i'll pick one the other ones.

Edited by TheDuke

7 hours ago, e_pott said:

SOOOOOOOOOOOO who knows where I can still purchase a colored variant of this awesome record?

Otherwise someone hit me with their best offer. I am indifferent to color at this point.. just want to own a single copy :)

https://atorecords.shop.musictoday.com/store/

im not sure if a black pressing of this is even in the works. 

10 hours ago, e_pott said:

SOOOOOOOOOOOO who knows where I can still purchase a colored variant of this awesome record?

Otherwise someone hit me with their best offer. I am indifferent to color at this point.. just want to own a single copy :)

Edited: Heavenly Records in UK have yet to put anything up.

Edited by TheDuke