quality of sound reproduction on newly pressed vinyl records

Hello, All

I am a very new member to this forum so please bear with me if this query is "old hat".

I have always been a lover /collector of vinyl. Recently I have upgraded my stereo system - not to audiophile standards but a good system nonetheless. - and begun purchasing a few new LPs. I have been very disappointed to discover that the quality of the pressings of new releases seems to be very hit and miss. "The Best of Diana Krall" on the Verve label sounds fantastic, as does Sinatra's "Come Fly With Me" on Capitol, and "The Best of Julie London" on the Real Gone label. Others,   Annie Lennox "Nostalgia", Lee Ann Womack's  "The Lonely, the Lonesome, and the Gone" on ATO, and Norah Jones' "Day Breaks" on BlueNote sound terrible.  Muddy sound and lots of surface noise. (A great many of my albums - in fact I would say most - that I bought in the 1970s and 1980s still sound fab). I don't understand this. Is it simply a matter of bad pressings with these new LPs? - and if that's the case it seems to me that the purchasing new vinyl is something of a crap shoot.  Will this record sound good or not so good.  Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

I'm also confused as to the source of newly pressed vinyl. If the particular disc I purchase is a new recording as opposed to a re-issue that has been sourced from an original analog master, and since very few artists record to analog tape these days, what am I actually getting? If it's a digital recording pressed into vinyl, what's the point? Doesn't this defeat the whole analog experience which is why we keep on with turntables and vinyl? Help!

All the best,

milford moore

I used to only buy hot stampers but since I’ve started paying the bands I like to come to my house and perform the songs I’m interested in live the hot stampers just don’t have the same sonic resonance for me.

$50,000 to fly out the Gin Blossoms, put them up in a reasonable hotel within driving distance, rent them a van and feed them lunch whenever I want to listen to Mrs. Rita as God intended is a small price to pay. 

Edited by unknown pleasures

All these things you are saying are accurate, but the risk can be greatly reduced, if not nearly eliminated altogether, by reading reviews on sites like Discogs and the aforementioned Steve Hoffman forums. Sometimes VC has the answers that I need, but, other times, Hoffman has a fifty three page thread on what is the best pressing of Steely Dan's Can't Buy a Thrill.

43 minutes ago, docbronze said:

All these things you are saying are accurate, but the risk can be greatly reduced, if not nearly eliminated altogether, by reading reviews on sites like Discogs and the aforementioned Steve Hoffman forums. Sometimes VC has the answers that I need, but, other times, Hoffman has a fifty three page thread on what is the best pressing of Steely Dan's Can't Buy a Thrill.

The copy that is both “mint” and “flat.” :lol:

2 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

I only buy hot stamper for my vinyl needs

https://www.better-records.com

Ah, I love reading this website so much. Each listing has its own unique 1,000 word essay on why you are the biggest goddamned idiot on the face of the earth if you don't drop $300 on the same pressing of a Steve Winwood record that you can get on Discogs for $4. 

12 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

Ah, I love reading this website so much. Each listing has its own unique 1,000 word essay on why you are the biggest goddamned idiot on the face of the earth if you don't drop $300 on the same pressing of a Steve Winwood record that you can get on Discogs for $4. 

It's amazing how these huge classic albums that have been heard for decades all sound notoriously terrible except for these hand fill of rare A+++ copies no one has heard except them.

Edited by swb

1 hour ago, docbronze said:

BWOMP

WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT

BWOMM WHOAAAAOOOOAAAOOOAAAHHH