kisol

THIS WILL DESTROY YOU - New Others (Part TWO out NOW!)

I find the discussion around mastering/mix/etc odd myself.  To my ears it's not a situation where there was a 'low quality'/'muddy' mix.  The low end is notably distorted where other frequencies/instruments are not.  Which would indicate it was a mastering choice.  Agree with it being a good idea or not, however it was presumably what the band intended.

7 hours ago, daegor said:

I find the discussion around mastering/mix/etc odd myself.  To my ears it's not a situation where there was a 'low quality'/'muddy' mix.  The low end is notably distorted where other frequencies/instruments are not.  Which would indicate it was a mastering choice.  Agree with it being a good idea or not, however it was presumably what the band intended.

THIS!

29 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

It was clearly an intentional choice. Was anyone arguing otherwise? 

People were talking about 'poor mastering/production/etc' as if (how I read it) it was an overall poor quality recording rather than an 'artistic' choice.  Maybe I read into it too far.

I was a complainer, but it was obvious to me that the sound--especially the drums--was a very intentional artistic choice made in the mixing/production of the album. I don't think different mastering or pressing QC is going to change how this record sounds.

13 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah i'm not thrilled; listening on vinyl makes the drum production seem much more stark and I just don't like it.  It's so muffled and sounds like it was recorded behind a curtain.  If the drums were clear on this, I think it would crush. 

I haven't listened to this on vinyl yet, but your description matches what I heard digitally in my car.  It sounded like you were listening to the band from the green room.  I kinda dig it I think, but it's a weird choice for sure.

4 hours ago, daegor said:

I haven't listened to this on vinyl yet, but your description matches what I heard digitally in my car.  It sounded like you were listening to the band from the green room.  I kinda dig it I think, but it's a weird choice for sure.

Yeah, I find that the production choices are much better represented on digital.  When I listened on vinyl, it felt like it was too much.... "too wrong" if you will.  The vinyl did reveal some other finer details in the mix at points which was neat but that drum sound just is so much more stark and apparent on vinyl and it sounds weird.