Hey guys ... Cant tell if y'all are being serious 😋 .......... Designed and built it from scratch so would really like some feedback. What do you think?

The two top rows are for display only so just one deep. The two bottom rows are 25 to 30 records deep, so it comfortable takes the 280 odd pieces I have. 

spacer.png

54 minutes ago, Raj said:

Hey guys ... Cant tell if y'all are being serious 😋 .......... Designed and built it from scratch so would really like some feedback. What do you think?

The two top rows are for display only so just one deep. The two bottom rows are 25 to 30 records deep, so it comfortable takes the 280 odd pieces I have. 

spacer.png

Ask your friends....

4 hours ago, Raj said:

spacer.png

Doesn't look level.

Hey thanks! I did consider a growing collection but at 53 years of age, I am hoping to be a minimalist with self control. I plan to keep a lid on the numbers. Worst case if I do succumb, I can change one or both of the top rows from being 1 record deep to being 30 records deep, hence doubling my capacity. After that, there is always another wall ... 😉.

When i set out to make this, i had 10 different self-imposed constraints ... so I sat down with a pencil and piece of paper, then worked it backwards from my requirements which were as follows :

1. Collection of about 275 records - don't plan to go far past 300 records.
2. Did not want them to be stacked like books on a shelf where you can only see the spine. Wanted to be able to flick through them for inspiration ... as in a record store. i.e. Front facing
3. Must store vertical - obviously
4. Only a foot or so of depth available behind my chair and the wall as you can see in the first pic. (The units ended up only 8" deep)
5. Refused to let IKEA into our oldy-worldy study in central England - Got some IKEA in other rooms but not in the study.
6. Worked out that the weight would end up circa 30 Kg or 65 lbs per unit (I always wanted two rows). So about 150 lbs including the weight of the units. Heavy!
7. Wanted to browse with one hand but retrieve or replace with the other hand ... so it needed the stack not to fall forwards
8. At the same time as stopping the stack falling forward, I didn't want a bar or slat obscuring the art work on the sleeves!
9. No screws showing when I was done with the construction
10. I don't have too many machine-tools or too detailed a workshop but I am handy with basic tools.
It took a bit of head scratching but I am really pleased with the result even if I say so myself. The two bottom rows are identical and take 30 x 5 = 150 records each. The two top rows are for display only - they are only one record deep. There is a general order (by genre) per stack and the whole thing does change constantly in terms of the front record so it is effectively a live wall.

Here is what the unit looked like without vinyl on it ... and before I hand-made and fitted the dinky wooden caps on the 6 front facing screws.

wFaSs5o.jpg

Edited by Raj