MLB Discussion

Im more worried about how this affects Avila. Will they be less willing to give him rest behind the plate since it will be an even bigger drop off between him and the backup? Avila had a monster year and I would hate to see him do bad this year because he isnt rested enough as a catcher. Id hate to see him turn into a Russell Martin.

Im more worried about how this affects Avila. Will they be less willing to give him rest behind the plate since it will be an even bigger drop off between him and the backup? Avila had a monster year and I would hate to see him do bad this year because he isnt rested enough as a catcher. Id hate to see him turn into a Russell Martin.

The Tigers claimed that Victor was never going to catch this year. That's why they signed G-Money again (also known as Gerald Laird). Whether they stuck to this or not, who knows. Avila was half the catcher in the second half that he was in the first last year, and the organization realized they can't work him that hard again without him breaking down.

There is varying reports on how to convert the stats to american, as it tends to differ from player to player, but it is usually regarded as 3.5A. Organizations only have two teams over there, one minor and one major, so some players that would be on a AA team are in the bigs. Most projected stats for Darvish's seasons in Texas are 13-7 for the next three years with an ERA around 3.2-3.50. He does have a killer K/9 ratio, but the zone is bigger in japan.

You guys think Napoli's season was a fluke last year or he will be able to come close to it again (or even exceed it?). Considering keeping him in fantasy baseball but nervous about him coming off a career year. I'm sure Travis will have something to say about him as a former Angel and current Ranger.

I think Napoli is legit. Every Angel fan I know wanted him to be the full time catcher for the Angels. Everyone always hated Mathis and knew he was terrible. No one ever understood Scioscia's huge boner over Mathis. I was so pissed when they traded Napoli and always said if he ever got to catch full time he'd hit 30+ HRs. I didnt think his average would be that high but I think he's a legit .275 hitter who can hit 25-35 HRs a year and knock in 80 runs if he gets the playing time. Im glad he's doing well, I always liked him....just sucks he's doing it for the division rival.

I think Napoli is legit. Every Angel fan I know wanted him to be the full time catcher for the Angels. Everyone always hated Mathis and knew he was terrible. No one ever understood Scioscia's huge boner over Mathis. I was so pissed when they traded Napoli and always said if he ever got to catch full time he'd hit 30+ HRs. I didnt think his average would be that high but I think he's a legit .275 hitter who can hit 25-35 HRs a year and knock in 80 runs if he gets the playing time. Im glad he's doing well, I always liked him....just sucks he's doing it for the division rival.

.275/30/80 plays well at catcher in fantasy baseball. Would make him a borderline keeper in my league. Would be fine with the .275 average if he could get into 130+ games and improve on the counting stats (runs, HR, RBI). Just makes me nervous. I have a lot of other guys you could make a case for too (A. Ramirez, Sandoval, Morse, Pineda, Rivera).

Am I biased? Probably. But I am so excited about signing Darvish. He's 25 years old, 6'5", 220 lbs, has 7 pitches (probably 4 good ones), pitched amazing in Japan. You can say what you want about there hasn't been a legit ace from Japan that lasted very long in the MLB, but I trust the Rangers scouting team. I can't wait to see him pitch.

On a side note, I wonder how CJ feels that the Rangers didn't even offer CJ an offer and spend $110M on Yu. It doesn't really matter because I don't think he liked it in Texas anyways.

there is a pretty big difference between Yu and the other japanese pitchers that have come over, namely his hight. He is much taller than the other ones, and as a hard thrower that will work to his advantage. Not many flame throwers in the majors are under 6 feet like many of the other imports. I read that he just now started throwing with a major league ball though, that worries me, you think he would have been practicing when he posted.

In two years the Yankees are going to have 8 DHs. I can't see them going for Fielder with A-Rod and Jeter advancing in years. And to be practical, Texeira is 31. If he can stay healthy he plays 1st until the end but that is a big IF in this game.

As Flood said, they are nutty sometimes. You are thinking like a manager of the other 28 teams not in Boston or New York. Who knows with those two.