MLB Discussion

This season has kind of hit a doldrum right now for me. Maybe it's cause my Tigers are playing like shit right now. One thing I have been able to enjoy is the success of the Padres. No one thinks they will be able to keep it up but they have the best run differential in the NL (3rd best in baseball), the only NL team with a winning record on the road and are 4 games up over San Francisco.

This season has kind of hit a doldrum right now for me. Maybe it's cause my Tigers are playing like shit right now. One thing I have been able to enjoy is the success of the Padres. No one thinks they will be able to keep it up but they have the best run differential in the NL (3rd best in baseball), the only NL team with a winning record on the road and are 4 games up over San Francisco.

it forsure has been fun to watch! hope they pick up another starter (guthrie or westbrook would be nice in petco, especially guthrie) and hopefully a bat

I swear...every time the Angels lose, the Rangers lose. We can't seem to gain any more ground lol. Oh well...intense series coming up tonight, eh Travie?

Yea Angels really need to use this series to make up some ground. Hopefully they can, they havent looked good lately except for that one game in NY.

Fucking Sox lost 10 of the last 14 games. Back to 7.0 games out. Miracle of they get the WC. My friend in March said the demise of the sox would be the bullpen...
I had a lot of hope for them since they were playing with only 1/3 of their starters, but they're brutal lately.

I feel disconnected this season - apart from when I head up to Boston every month or so, I never get to see the games. I used to get the MLB package just for the Sox, but I can't afford it anymore.

That's a GREAT trade for the Angels but mostly not for this year. They replaced John Lackey for the next 3 seasons, they are getting Kendry back next year, they will replace Brandon Wood with some who could hit (maybe Callaspo?). The Angels are finally using their young players for something instead of holding on to them and discovering that they weren't what they thought (Dallas McPherson, Wood, Bobby Jenks, Casey Kotchman).

That's a GREAT trade for the Angels but mostly not for this year. They replaced John Lackey for the next 3 seasons, they are getting Kendry back next year, they will replace Brandon Wood with some who could hit (maybe Callaspo?). The Angels are finally using their young players for something instead of holding on to them and discovering that they weren't what they thought (Dallas McPherson, Wood, Bobby Jenks, Casey Kotchman).

Thats been my main complaint with them lately, they hold on to every propect like they are all going to be the next big thing and nearly none of them have panned out like that.

Callaspo isnt the answer but he's ok for now. This is not their year to make a run at the WS but possibly next year once Kendry comes back and hopefully they can pick up another bat. Would love to see them land Dunn to DH. I have a feeling they will make another move before the deadline. Id just be happy to see them win the West again this year and really go after it next year.

I cant believe AZ went for this trade. Saunders fucking blows.

teams that protect their prospects instead of trading them for proven talent amaze me. look at the number of minor leaguers there are in each team's system. then take a look at all the latin players that have under-the-table deals with teams to come play for them eventually. there are literally HUNDREDS of players being paid by every organization with the hopes that maybe one day they'll pan out.

and how many of them do? how many of them turn into actual major leaguers? somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10%. and even fewer turn into really good players. why would a team refuse to trade a prospect for a sure-fire, ready-to-go big leaguer? it doesn't make any sense (unless the major leaguer is in the last year of his contract and the team doesn't think they'll be able to resign him, then i can understand not wanting to trade away a top prospect for a 2 month rental).

i've seen the cubs do this time and time again. they tout somebody as "the next big thing" and refuse to include him in trades for players that they desperately need on their big league club. then, after a few years in the minors (that's another thing they're terrible at... not knowing how long to keep somebody in the minors) he'll come up to the show and be a huge disappointment. many other teams have fallen victim to this as well, but the cubs seem to do it far more often than most. you would think they'd learn after having gone through it so many times before.

there is no. such. thing. as a sure-fire prospect. they just simply don't exist. so why hold your current roster hostage for a player who will MAYBE make it to the big leagues in a year or two, and then once he's there MAYYBBBEEEE be really good?