MLB Discussion

The problem with the whole system is arbitration. Keeps the young studs from getting paid fairly when they step up. Teams keep bringing in the money, though, so it goes to overpaying guys in their mid 30s and beyond.

Not saying they should get rid of arbitration, just swing the system a little more towards paying more in arbitration years.

Kinda.

If they were willing to move him there to begin with, you couldn't completely rule out the possibility that they replace Prince with a relatively big FA bat -- someone like Napoli or Choo. Victor Martinez is capable of playing first.

I believe they will move Miggy back, though.

i mean i guess the upside is you have a couple options. but in my limited brain i'd move miggs back to first and go from there. idk!

Is he going to drop that though?  Honestly no one is going to lock him down until he's 41 years old.

i'm half and half on this. the yankees are the only team that's going to pay him what he thinks he's worth but even the new steinbrenners aren't that fuckin stupid. you know?

The "Yankee" Complex just kills me. Is Cano a very good 2nd basemen? Yes. Is he the BEST PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF THE MLB? Lol.

You would think that if he was truly confident that he is going to sustain his 2010-2012 stats for the next ten years then he wouldn't be worried about a ridiculous 10 year deal. He could get 3-4 years at $30 mil no problem.

blame the old steinbrenner regime for giving a-rod what he wanted. shouldn't have happened and look how that turned out.and youre right. they'd have given him 3/4 at 30 for nothin

The problem with the whole system is arbitration. Keeps the young studs from getting paid fairly when they step up. Teams keep bringing in the money, though, so it goes to overpaying guys in their mid 30s and beyond.

Not saying they should get rid of arbitration, just swing the system a little more towards paying more in arbitration year s.

i'd like to see this change but i'm not sure how'd you go about it. i think it keeps poorer team in the market longer, having that time. and i'd rather see that aspect of it than anything else.

i'd like to see this change but i'm not sure how'd you go about it. i think it keeps poorer team in the market longer, having that time. and i'd rather see that aspect of it than anything else.

I'm not sure you would ever know the true effects until you tried. You could also argue that everyone would have to pay their young guys a little more (kind of balancing things out) and then the top guys quit being priced so outrageously that the smaller teams actually have an opportunity to keep them at a price that makes sense.

I guess the assumption is just that if they had the ability to keep their guys at normal rates, they would, leading to a better balance, which in turn balances out revenues (to some degree). If guys like Loria are locked into a 30 million dollar payroll regardless of what happens, then yeah, my idea hurts, doesn't help.

I'm not sure you would ever know the true effects until you tried. You could also argue that everyone would have to pay their young guys a little more (kind of balancing things out) and then the top guys quit being priced so outrageously that the smaller teams actually have an opportunity to keep them at a price that makes sense.

I guess the assumption is just that if they had the ability to keep their guys at normal rates, they would, leading to a better balance, which in turn balances out revenues (to some degree). If guys like Loria are locked into a 30 million dollar payroll regardless of what happens, then yeah, my idea hurts, doesn't help.

I dont think arbitration should change at all, and lets remember, very few players a year actually go to arbitration to determine their salary, teams and agents typically nail down a value beforehand.  I think arbitration is the best tool for mid to small level teams to keep players before the actual issue in baseball, which is free agency in an uncapped sport.  arbitration works great, or the threat of it does, to keep costs down before an overstimulated FA market and helps keep players on their franchise for 5 - 6 years. 

I disagree but we'll never know for sure. I see teams bringing in a lot of money and a certain percentage is going to go to the players. Keeping young player salaries down leads to a huge percentage of payrolls going to the top FAs, even when teams realized that they are overpaying for players. There's plenty of evidence (ie, huge contracts) in the real world every year to support this theory. But yeah, it's a theory.

i mean i guess the upside is you have a couple options. but in my limited brain i'd move miggs back to first and go from there. idk!

i'm half and half on this. the yankees are the only team that's going to pay him what he thinks he's worth but even the new steinbrenners aren't that fuckin stupid. you know?

blame the old steinbrenner regime for giving a-rod what he wanted. shouldn't have happened and look how that turned out.and youre right. they'd have given him 3/4 at 30 for nothin

There's no way the new administration will put up that cash.  Only teams who are dumb enough would be the Angles, Marlins or Dodgers.

By the smile I'm assuming you're either a Jays fan or you didn't pay attention to him last season.

Darren Balsley. He'll fix Johnson up real nice. I think he'll be a solid number 3-4 guy on our 5 man rotation which probably actually extends to 8 solid pitchers in my opinion when you total in stats. (Now if we can just sign some bats...)

on the tigers/rangers trade: tigers won that trade, but it's not like the rangers got fleeced. rangers upgraded over moreland at first and have fixed the middle infield logjam.

on the tigers infield: i wonder if they'll move nick castellanos back to third? isn't that where he started? i'm sure he'll stay in left but i wouldn't rule it out. there are enough outfielders on the market that i think the tigers could make a decent FA purchase and stick with castellanos-iglesias-kinsler-miggy left to right across the diamond.

on the angels/cards trade: fuck. are you serious? fuck. i hate the angels so much. i don't care about gruchik or whatever -- it's laughable how he went from the #2 prospect in the angels organization to #10 for the cards. just... FREESE IS 31. AND HE IS MISCONSTRUED AS ABOVE AVERAGE BECAUSE OF HIS POSTSEASON HEROICS. what the hell is going on? anyway, stlben, i think your outfield is just fine with craig, holliday, taveras, bourjos, jay. you've got enough moving parts to make it work.

because taveras never emerged last year, i wonder if they'll wait until mid-may to start his clock. i guess that would leave bourjos or some stupid bourjos/jay platoon in center.

Castellanos had a .919 fielding percentage at 3rd in the minors. He hasn't played there in a year or so. Maybe he has still been practicing there but I doubt it. With the information available to us, I'd rather have Miggy at 3rd.

so you'd rather have the worst defender at that position than some young kid who can still improve?  miggy sucks at 3b, why you'd want to block castellanos from that position because of his minor league numbers is just really weird man.

so you'd rather have the worst defender at that position than some young kid who can still improve?  miggy sucks at 3b, why you'd want to block castellanos from that position because of his minor league numbers is just really weird man.

Because he was worse than Miggy in the minors and has been playing a different position since?

If the dude is a better third basemen then I want him to play third base. I don't think he is.

It's rehashing a full page of back and forth I had with lemongoat but assume you want use defensive runs saved as the go to metric for fielding and Miggy was awful last year (-18 runs). Well year before last he was -4 at 3b. That's a huge difference.

Dude was playing with a torn groin which limited mobility. Got the surgery out of the way right after the season and will be healthy in the spring. Will be back in the single (negative) digits next year.

His "awful defense" is inflated by the Trout slappies who want to paint him as the worst defender of all time. He's OK. Not great, not good, but OK.