MLB Discussion

absolute best-case scenario for mccann with that short porch in right field. then he can move to DH (or 1B) when his knees give out. not bad.

If he goes to 1b or DH, it's a bad deal. He's fairly consistently put up about 20 homers, 80 RBIs, and a .800 OPS throughout his career.

For $17 million, that's fine from a catcher. Not good value from a DH.

If he goes to 1b or DH, it's a bad deal. He's fairly consistently put up about 20 homers, 80 RBIs, and a .800 OPS throughout his career.

For $17 million, that's fine from a catcher. Not good value from a DH.

that's why i said for mccann... not necessarily for the yanks ;) i think they overpaid because i assume he's going to eventually wear out behind the dish

all these signings and trades lately have made me all giddy!

Peralta to the Cardinals, 4 years/53 million.  

regardless of anyone's stance on PEDs and if they helped him, i still think the cards overpaid. legitimately average defender and decent power threat but entering his age-32 season... eh. not thrilled. then again not my team so who cares!

all these signings and trades lately have made me all giddy!

regardless of anyone's stance on PEDs and if they helped him, i still think the cards overpaid. legitimately average defender and decent power threat but entering his age-32 season... eh. not thrilled. then again not my team so who cares!

Unfortunately that is the joy of us having no SS and the market being thin.  Luckily our payroll was pretty low (thanks to all the young guys) that we could afford to over pay to fix this spot.  Much happier that we over paid instead of trading a bunch of the young talent.

Not even sure why Gagne would be on the ballot. 51st in career saves and falling.

because of his insane run of consecutive saves in a row in 2002 - 2004, he wont get in because he used PED's, but the run he had during that stretch was insane, everyone was using then, and the fact he was the most dominant closer in the sport.  247 IP, 365 K, 152 Saves and a 1.79 ERA and a CY Young.  thats just bonkers

Agreed. I just think the tough calls are guys who dominate 6-8 years and then fall off the map. A guy with 3, pretty much no matter how dominant those 3 are, has no chance (as Chamb said). I'd rather they didn't even nominate guys like that but I guess it's no big deal either way.

Agreed. I just think the tough calls are guys who dominate 6-8 years and then fall off the map. A guy with 3, pretty much no matter how dominant those 3 are, has no chance (as Chamb said). I'd rather they didn't even nominate guys like that but I guess it's no big deal either way.

yeah he'll never get in, hell, he might not even get a vote.  the rest of his career was a mess, mainly because he got off the juice and fell back to earth