NCAA Football Discussion

Who would be their loss? Actually, doesn't matter, Texas played a much tougher schedule than both of those teams. Would it have been enough to get them in? Who knows?

I meant it more in the vein of Texas would get in because they're a large school with a storied program and Baylor and TCU are both small private schools with only recent football success.

Eh I don't buy that argument completely though. Oregon was that school that was overlooked by the media/BCS for the longest time. They needed help to even reach the 2008(9?) NC game. Now they are considered elite. I think they both have had enough success to be respected.

Texas getting truly good again will do wonders for the Big 12. And OkSt won't be so bad next year. The conference is in good shape nationally. I think they will have the third most top 25s next pre season behind the Pac12 and the SEC

Bring on the elephants...suck it Birdwell ;)

I think I speak for Brett (diabretic) and I both when I say, "ROLL MOTHER FUCKING TIDE!!!"

Mike, you rule man....but the Buckeyes better get their game together

(Maybe we should work on getting our Defense back up to par as well though...I haven't been impressed with our D this season at all)

I think I speak for Brett (diabretic) and I both when I say, "ROLL MOTHER FUCKING TIDE!!!"

Mike, you rule man....but the Buckeyes better get their game together

(Maybe we should work on getting our Defense back up to par as well though...I haven't been impressed with our D this season at all)

I feel pretty good about getting a month to prepare. I think they've actually done pretty well defending QBs that run the Meyer-type system (IE-Dak Prescott). Like I said, i'm looking forward to this game.

This is going to be the year Alabama and Oregon finally play each other.

I think people will be surprised how different Oregon looks against a very physical, very fast defense that will have a healthy and dominate D-Line and a lot of recent experience with containing the option.

I think people will be surprised how different Oregon looks against a very physical, very fast defense that will have a healthy and dominate D-Line and a lot of recent experience with containing the option.

I get it, you're a florida state fan, but you need to take those gold and red glasses off for a second and realize that that fast, physical and dominant doesn't mean allowing 20+ points in 8 games. Their defense might be good, but their offense (the line in particular) has looked underwhelming. Not one team this year has looked head and shoulders above the rest, but one thing most people agree on is that FSU would be the underdog against all 3 other teams in the playoffs. 

EDIT: This is not to say I want or expect FSU to lose to Oregon, just stating what i've been reading and have seen. I look forward to seeing a great game, which has two future NFL starters going against each other. 

I get it, you're a florida state fan, but you need to take those gold and red glasses off for a second and realize that that fast, physical and dominant doesn't mean allowing 20+ points in 8 games. Their defense might be good, but their offense (the line in particular) has looked underwhelming. Not one team this year has looked head and shoulders above the rest, but one thing most people agree on is that FSU would be the underdog against all 3 other teams in the playoffs. 

EDIT: This is not to say I want or expect FSU to lose to Oregon, just stating what i've been reading and have seen. I look forward to seeing a great game, which has two future NFL starters going against each other. 

Garnet and gold man, garnet and gold.

And yeah, my post was a little homerish I admit. I disagree though. The offensive line in the last 3-4 games has been infinitely better, now that Rod Johnson has come in at LT and is crushing it. Watch the tape of Cam Erving at center against GT. He was moving guys back 15 yards off the line in run blocking.

FSU has had a different starting linebacking lineup nearly ever single game this season and the starting NT has been out 3/4 of the season. A lot of freshman have been filling holes week to week. The defense hasn't exactly been getting a lot of help either if you look at the situational side of games where they gave up 20+ points. Winston gave opposing teams a lot of short yardage in the first halves of games. The real glaring weakness has been special teams. Our average starting field position has been horrible.

None of that means I think FSU will blow Oregon out. I just hope people (like the Oregon homer sitting next to me in my lab currently) don't think that Oregon is going to be overwhelming anyone. I expect a game much more like 2012/2013 OU-Stanford - with better QB play.

I've got Oregon blowing out Free Seafood University. It's going to be so nasty it's going to be criminal but no one needs to sweat when the calls goes into Tallahassee PD. 

I don't know what was more surprising: TCU being in the top-4 to begin with or dropping after a large win? I wasn't a fan of their being in over OSU. I am not a Meyer fan at all but they were being penalized for a potential drop in play due to injury as opposed to being judged for their quality of play to that point. 

The playoff really needs to be 8 teams. If you look through the Top-8 and then ask who is being left out it is very hard to argue that the 9 and 10 team really deserved a shot at that point. The overly human element to the selection this year actually made me miss the computer model which is galling. 

I've got Oregon blowing out Free Seafood University. It's going to be so nasty it's going to be criminal but no one needs to sweat when the calls goes into Tallahassee PD. 

I don't know what was more surprising: TCU being in the top-4 to begin with or dropping after a large win? I wasn't a fan of their being in over OSU. I am not a Meyer fan at all but they were being penalized for a potential drop in play due to injury as opposed to being judged for their quality of play to that point. 

The playoff really needs to be 8 teams. If you look through the Top-8 and then ask who is being left out it is very hard to argue that the 9 and 10 team really deserved a shot at that point. The overly human element to the selection this year actually made me miss the computer model which is galling. 

Once a Gator always a Gator. At least you can respect that! I can't stand how many people in Corvallis worship our supposed "rival" UO just because OSU sucks and well, they don't want to root for a loser. (Actual words of a someone I talked to who went to school at OSU and has never lived in Eugene)

Amen about the top 8! 4 major bowl games with winners playing in the rose and sugar bowl and the champs playing in the title game in dallas

The thing people are also missing is the expense of these games on the fans. You're asking for a lot of empty seats if you get matchups of small fan base teams traveling cross country with fans knowing that they have to travel again the next week if they win.

The thing people are also missing is the expense of these games on the fans. You're asking for a lot of empty seats if you get matchups of small fan base teams traveling cross country with fans knowing that they have to travel again the next week if they win.

Agreed. If I had a team in this thing, I would save my money for championship game tix, unless the semi-final game is close.

The unfortunate thing is that the playoff bowls are going full Super Bowl mode on these. The universities were only given 500 seats to offer to students. Crowds are going to be filled with corporate sponsors and less-interested parties.

I'm hopeful for an eight team playoff, with the first round taking place on campuses of the higher seed. That way, they may (might, possibly, hopefully) be accessible to their fans.