Sony/Legacy announces plans to bring back vinyl

Sorta kinda news from punknews.org:

After focusing on CD and digital releases for the past few years, Sony/Legacy has announced plans to begin releasing vinyl again. Beginning this month, the long-running major label will begin reissuing Columbia, Epic, and RCA releases.

The first batch of releases includes mainstream arists like Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, Jefferson Starship and Cheap Trick, but also Lou Reed's classic, Berlin, and Social Distortion's 1990 album, Social Distortion. Future releases are expected to include albums from The Clash including the forthcoming Live at Shea Stadium.

It kinda sucks for the indies.

I'm sure the plants will start backing up again :(

Now would be an awesome time to open up a pressing plant it seems. :)

And the prices for these releases are all over the place, but at least a decent amount are going to be on 180 gram, for what its worth.

Most of those releases you can still find at Thrift Stores and Used Record Stores...w/o too much trouble...and for little money

Thats why I laugh everytime I read an article about a major label wanting to release there older albums. After they pressed a million copies originally and want to do it again

Well obviously stuff that came out in the 90s would be the best shit to press, in my opinion, as that's when the majors gave up completely on the format and very little was pressed (at least domestically). Stuff from the 70s and 80s is really not that hard to find used nice and cheap, as mentioned above. The $17.99+ shit is ab-surd. I think that when they're pressing several thousand of a record they already own the rights to, it'd probably be possible to get the price to about $11.99 or lower.

Well obviously stuff that came out in the 90s would be the best shit to press, in my opinion, as that's when the majors gave up completely on the format and very little was pressed (at least domestically). Stuff from the 70s and 80s is really not that hard to find used nice and cheap, as mentioned above. The $17.99+ shit is ab-surd. I think that when they're pressing several thousand of a record they already own the rights to, it'd probably be possible to get the price to about $11.99 or lower.

GREAT point. I'd rather have a legitimate reissue (not the bootleg) of Mellon Collie or Third Eye Blind S/T, etc rather than Boston S/T which used record stores or places like Half Price Books have all the time. Frampton Comes Alive has been reissued. Seriously? That record is so easy to find. Millions and millions were pressed back in the day. >:(

GREAT point. I'd rather have a legitimate reissue (not the bootleg) of Mellon Collie or Third Eye Blind S/T, etc rather than Boston S/T which used record stores or places like Half Price Books have all the time. Frampton Comes Alive has been reissued. Seriously? That record is so easy to find. Millions and millions were pressed back in the day. >:(

was the mellon collie released through sony? Also, where did you get your bootleg, and how does it sound?

was the mellon collie released through sony? Also, where did you get your bootleg, and how does it sound?

No and I do not have the bootleg. I was making a larger point that, even though it is nice that labels are pressing vinyl again, do an album that is rare not something really easy to find. That goes for all labels not just Sony.

Most of those releases you can still find at Thrift Stores and Used Record Stores...w/o too much trouble...and for little money

Thats why I laugh everytime I read an article about a major label wanting to release there older albums. After they pressed a million copies originally and want to do it again

yeah, but they don't get a cut from used sales, so they no doubt think at least a few suckers will buy new just to buy new.

Yeah, but remember how the $18 CDs ended up fucking them in the end? Why the hell pay so much when you can just download it for free? Same shit is going to happen with vinyl. Though this board is definitely representative of the more insane collector-types, there's going to be another vinyl backlash and this shit is gonna be filling dollar bins worldwide.