NHL Discussion

To answer a number of question....

1. We played this game in Bensenville at the Edge II (the small facility just east of the big one). We also play in Wilmette and Addison for the time being. Not sure where else the league will make us play when our next "season" starts.

2. The girls were mostly pretty decent. I think they gave the bulk of the ice time to the ones who were better.....they had like 25+ on the bench and I saw the same people on the ice over and over again. But yeah, they looked ok. Some of them were pretty cute. Hard to tell in full pads and everything. The ringers played a lot too though - and really, any time they had anything going, at least a few of those guys were on the ice. If we played JUST the wives and girlfriends, despite the fact that we're mostly beginners, we probably would have dominated them.

3. Yeah, it was surreal and I can't imagine stuff like this happening very often. Obviously it would have been even better if they took the ice with us for warmups or whatever, but it was still cool that they had to watch OUR game, even if they were rooting against us.

Awesome story forgeagain!

The best story I have is from playing adult league in San Antonio. It sounds like it would be bad, but the group I skated with was about half former minor leaguers and division 1 college players, and also Dale Henry who played 6 years for the Islanders back in the 80's. During the summer though, Mike Green (not the Caps one), would come and skate with us because he had played for the Rampage (AHL) and his fiancee lived in San Antonio.

So a few summers ago, this Mike Green was coming off finishing the season with the NY Rangers and skating with us. We had a tournament team put together, and asked him if he could play. He said he wasn't sure because he had a friend coming into town that weekend. We asked if his friend could play, and it turned out it was Nick Tarnasky (who was coming off a season with Tampa Bay).

The amazing thing is, even with 2 current NHL players, we lost in the championship to the Houston team, who just happened to have more pro players than we did.

We're all beginners. In our league, there are different tiers. They won't let elite players play with the lower level teams. If we brought a guy out to our lowest tier game who had anywhere near that kind of experience, they would not let him play with us after they got a look at him. They do tryout/eval skates when you add guys so they pre-screen to prevent stuff like that.

The thought of a bunch of former pros playing in amateur tournaments is hilarious though. I can't imagine how it feels going up against a guy that good.

what a crazy game last night between the Sharks & Flyers.. 4-1 Flyers with like 13:00 to play in the third.. Sharks scored 3 to tie and take it to overtime.. Flyers scored what everyone thought was the game winning goal at the end, but turned out time expired as the puck was on the goal line.. lost in the shoot out.

Refs were pretty damn terrible (the no goal call on the Sharks was debatable and there were a few horrible calls against the Flyers)

[image]

easily within top 5 worst games i've ever been to. Flyers haven't beaten San Jose in like 10 years, crazy.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':h9rxyxh9]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':h9rxyxh9]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

as you can imagine atlanta doesn't have a lot of rinks. I used to play men's league at the rink where the thrashers practice and in the summer the ones who stayed in town would play. I played AAA (the highest level here) so I got to skate with/against them. On sundays they'd have "pro skates" for the guys to stay in shape and they'd always invite AAA players out so they'd have enough people. I got to skate with Scott Mellanby, Andy Sutton, Marc Savard, Eric Boulton, Toby Enstrom (when he was a prospect) Jaroslav Modry, and a bunch of guys that play for the Gladiators (minor league). Fun times. Fortunately they don't go 100% over the summer

Jody Shelley is a joke. I was glad to see the thrashers have ben eager as a healthy scratch the last 2 games. that guy is garbage.

So I'm curious, what do people outside of Atlanta think of the Thrashers this year? We've got a pretty decent team and still can't fill the building. The marketing ploy of having 4 (used to be 5) black guys on the team isn't working.

dude from Boston is fine, no injuries at all. Shelley got a 2 game suspension, which I agree with. Maybe he'll do something real stupid soon and just get banned for life. Such a stupid fucking signing from the beginning, signed through 2012/2013 at 1.1 million a year. What a joke.

as you can imagine atlanta doesn't have a lot of rinks. I used to play men's league at the rink where the thrashers practice and in the summer the ones who stayed in town would play. I played AAA (the highest level here) so I got to skate with/against them. On sundays they'd have "pro skates" for the guys to stay in shape and they'd always invite AAA players out so they'd have enough people. I got to skate with Scott Mellanby, Andy Sutton, Marc Savard, Eric Boulton, Toby Enstrom (when he was a prospect) Jaroslav Modry, and a bunch of guys that play for the Gladiators (minor league). Fun times. Fortunately they don't go 100% over the summer

Jody Shelley is a joke. I was glad to see the thrashers have ben eager as a healthy scratch the last 2 games. that guy is garbage.

So I'm curious, what do people outside of Atlanta think of the Thrashers this year? We've got a pretty decent team and still can't fill the building. The marketing ploy of having 4 (used to be 5) black guys on the team isn't working.

I think you have a pretty decent team. I watched a couple of their games since the beginning of the year and they're good. However, i'm not that surprised that you are having problems filling the arena. I wish we had this problem here in Montreal!!!

I'm going to see the Thrashers VS Habs in march and i'm stoked to see Bufyglien!!!

On a similar note to that Bruins/ Flyers incident, a girl on the 19U girls travel team I coach is in the ER right now from getting crushed from behind. She went face first into the boards, unconscious, and when she came to she couldn't feel anything in her legs or move her toes/feet.

that's crazy, hope the best for her. can't even imagine how scary of a feeling that must be.

gotta love ryan skating over to koivu after he scores and holding the stick in his face.

I like the flashyness of the Omark shootout goal. I think if more players did flashy stuff in shootouts itd be good for the game and make the shootout more exciting, but as far as that move it looked like something I'd do in NHL 09 when he holds his stick up for a few seconds before he shoots and the spin at the blue line really had nothing to do with the goal. It was just a good shot