NHL Discussion

If the Devils/Rangers head to the Conference Final this area is going to explode. I think tonight is the first time in my life I'll be pulling for the Rangers. I want this to happen.

The city is LOVING the Rangers right now, I've never seen it like this before...

I remember people being pumped in 1994.

So presidents trophy > Stanley Cup?

You are truly a great team if you get the Presidents and Lord Stanley in the same season but it rarely ever happens. You have to play the best 16 games you have played all season to win it all along with having timely goals, great goaltending and last but certainly not least a shit ton of luck. The last one might be the most important. Phoenix is in the Western Conference Finals for exactly that reason. Mike Smith has been pretty good but everything that could go their way pretty much has. If winning a trophy was simply about being the best team the New England Patriots would have about 10 championships under Belichick. Also despise the playoff formats where division winners are seeded higher than teams with better records. NHL and NFL do this and its an absolute joke.

I agree in general, but there is also a shit ton of luck in the regular season as well with variables X, Y, and Z. And as much as I was thrilled to play the Panthers in round 1 the division leader seeding system is the worst part of the playoffs.

So presidents trophy > Stanley Cup?

You are truly a great team if you get the Presidents and Lord Stanley in the same season but it rarely ever happens. You have to play the best 16 games you have played all season to win it all along with having timely goals, great goaltending and last but certainly not least a shit ton of luck. The last one might be the most important. Phoenix is in the Western Conference Finals for exactly that reason. Mike Smith has been pretty good but everything that could go their way pretty much has. If winning a trophy was simply about being the best team the New England Patriots would have about 10 championships under Belichick. Also despise the playoff formats where division winners are seeded higher than teams with better records. NHL and NFL do this and its an absolute joke.

The best team always wins in the playoffs. The Canucks, Blues, Bruins, and Preds were good during the regular season, yes, but you won't hear any of them saying that they're better than a team that beat them in the playoffs. Execution is everything, playoffs or regular season. If you don't execute during the regular season, you miss the playoffs. If you don't execute during the playoffs, you get eliminated.

Phoenix beat Nashville because they're the better team. Luck is a pointless thing to complain about, because every team is lucky/unlucky at some point. Isn't that why they play a best of seven series?

The best team always wins in the playoffs. The Canucks, Blues, Bruins, and Preds were good during the regular season, yes, but you won't hear any of them saying that they're better than a team that beat them in the playoffs. Execution is everything, playoffs or regular season. If you don't execute during the regular season, you miss the playoffs. If you don't execute during the playoffs, you get eliminated.

Phoenix beat Nashville because they're the better team. Luck is a pointless thing to complain about, because every team is lucky/unlucky at some point. Isn't that why they play a best of seven series?

If the best team always wins in the playoffs then why even have a regular season. Because it basically means nothing then. No Phoenix is not a better hockey team than Nashville, just got hot at the right time, got a break from the NHL by getting the third seed because they were the Pacific winner. Even though they accumulated 8-10 points less than the Preds and Blackhawks in the regular season. Thus getting home ice because they were the higher seed even though they technically did not earn it so to say, other than winning their division which was the worst one in the Western Conference during the regular season. You take home ice away from them against the Blackhawks and the Preds. Do they get past both of them? Odds are they don't. Like I said the playoff seeding in the NHL and NFL is a joke. Should be based upon points or wins and losses. Nothing more. Like the year a 11-5 Saints team had to go on the road and play a 7-9 Seahawks team. This should never happen. You are right about execution though. Teams like the Kings, Coyotes and Devils are executing but that hardly makes them a better team. Just getting it done in the playoffs where there are no mulligans.

If the best team always wins in the playoffs then why even have a regular season. Because it basically means nothing then. No Phoenix is not a better hockey team than Nashville, just got hot at the right time, got a break from the NHL by getting the third seed because they were the Pacific winner. Even though they accumulated 8-10 points less than the Preds and Blackhawks in the regular season. Thus getting home ice because they were the higher seed even though they technically did not earn it so to say, other than winning their division which was the worst one in the Western Conference during the regular season. You take home ice away from them against the Blackhawks and the Preds. Do they get past both of them? Odds are they don't. Like I said the playoff seeding in the NHL and NFL is a joke. Should be based upon points or wins and losses. Nothing more. Like the year a 11-5 Saints team had to go on the road and play a 7-9 Seahawks team. This should never happen. You are right about execution though. Teams like the Kings, Coyotes and Devils are executing but that hardly makes them a better team. Just getting it done in the playoffs where there are no mulligans.

I completely agree with the seeding. That should be changed. But if you're saying Phoenix won two rounds because of home ice, how did LA do it? Seeing as they didn't have home ice against the two top seeded western teams. To me, that says that the better team gets it done, home ice or not, high seed or not. If there weren't mulligans in the playoffs, they'd be playing one game per round.

I just think the system is pretty fair overall. With the exception of the seeding process, I can't think of a better way to determine a champion.

Just a little reminder, The Devils finished one point behind Philly in the regular season. That includes one more win than Philly. Just because you're bitter doesn't mean that they aren't a good team.

Don't keep up with the Eastern Conference as much but yes every one pretty much expected the Flyers to roll through that series but that didn't happen.I like the Devils, of all the teams left I want them to win it all. As for my Preds not bitter, just sad that they we didn't execute and we didn't have everyone on board.

I completely agree with the seeding. That should be changed. But if you're saying Phoenix won two rounds because of home ice, how did LA do it? Seeing as they didn't have home ice against the two top seeded western teams. To me, that says that the better team gets it done, home ice or not, high seed or not. If there weren't mulligans in the playoffs, they'd be playing one game per round.

I just think the system is pretty fair overall. With the exception of the seeding process, I can't think of a better way to determine a champion.

It really is about getting hot for 16 games. Not one time did the Kings have an 8-1 stretch during the regular season, but they look like world beaters now. The Kings practically snuck into the playoffs now it looks like they are going win the the cup.

They would have had to win their last 2 against San Jose to get the 3rd, they woulda been 7th had they only won one of them.

Either way, the Kings are simply finally living up to their potential. But yeah they hardly "snuck in", it only looks like it because they had that stretch before Terry Murray got fired that really hurt them along with not being able to score more than a goal or 2 for most of the season which immediately turned around with the Jeff Carter trade. After that trade i believe they were the highest or 2nd highest scoring team in the NHL.

You have to get hot during the regular season to even make the playoffs. Going on some kind of "hot streak" in the playoffs is certainly nice, but a team can win without doing that. NY and Washington are both going to their second game seven, and they've lost every other game.

The Kings are destroying everyone because they finally came together as a team. Maybe you meant they snuck up on their opponents, because no one sneaks into the playoffs.

All I've been trying to get across is that the best team always wins. You can't beat another team four times in a row and still come out worse than them. Seeds don't matter, home ice doesn't matter, and luck doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is consistent, solid play of making chances and capitalizing on them. Good teams can do that in the regular season; great teams do it in the playoffs.

Are you crazy? They didn't sneak in. They were in the top 8 for alot of the season and had an 8-2 stretch. They would have been the 3rd seed if they had won their last game.

Not trying to play devils advocate but they were average at best before Sutter got there. They were almost dead last in goals per game but were saved by an awesome goalie all year long. This coming from a Preds fan. They have one of the most loaded rosters on the league but have not lived up to their potential until now. Kopitar, Williams, Brown, Carter, Richards. Those are some pretty good damn forwards. The Preds certainly don't have forwards like that short of Erat. As far as the 3rd seed goes they would have been 3rd seed had they won their last game but not because they earned it. But as I always say the seeding system has to change in hockey. They have got to do it based upon points or wins and losses not winning your divison. Th Pacific division winner had 4 points less than the 4th best team in the central division yet got the 3rd seed because they won their division. But yes they are playing damn good hockey right now but anything can happen still.

The seedings don't really matter IMO and you can thank the loser point and the cap for that. Teams are much closer in talent and points nowadays. Yes the winner of the Stanley Cup has to get hot at the right time but it is also about matchups. The Kings matched up very well against Vancouver and St. Louis but I don't think they'll steamroll the Coyotes as quick.

You know what's funny? We could have a Darryl Sutter coached team and a John Tortorella coached team meet in the finals. And correct me if I'm wrong, but the CBA is up after this season. 2004 all over again.