NHL Discussion

Id keep Shero. The guy is a trade genius. I know you listed all those picks since 07, but we both know Maata is going to be killing it for years to come. That kid will be a 20 goal scoring dman for years. Look at our first rounders....the only guy since 91 who scored more than 15 goals on the team is Kreider. The person before that? Alex Kovalev. 

Id keep Shero. The guy is a trade genius. I know you listed all those picks since 07, but we both know Maata is going to be killing it for years to come. That kid will be a 20 goal scoring dman for years. Look at our first rounders....the only guy since 91 who scored more than 15 goals on the team is Kreider. The person before that? Alex Kovalev. 

yeah, im not saying they should fire him, im just hearing that the coaches and Shero are basically being evaluated by Burkle, Mario and a team of advisors

thanks for the explanation re: disco dan.  from a kings fan standpoint, i'm always just happy when they make the playoffs.  there were about 9 years where there were no playoffs along with watching a lot of mediocre or bad hockey during the regular season.  2012 was something i never dreamed could even happen.  sutter took them to the cup after taking over halfway through the season as well, although, that wasn't followed by an early exit last year so i guess that makes him stand out so far.  i'm just so used to having low expectations regarding my team that i was kind of surprised that there is a widespread desire to get rid of byslma.  i don't think all teams should have low expectations but i was under the impression the pens were doing ok before i got y'alls' explanations.

I'd love Fleury on Vancouver. He's a great goalie who needs a change. I could see him being included in a Kesler trade

didnt think of that, how many years does Kesler have left on his contract?  not that I would want to see MAF leave, infact, I hope they figure out a way to keep him.  he just let up the fewest goals in pens history of 7 game series with 14.  thats a 2.00 GAA avg, thats really good.

Also, I hope Pittsburgh Ganda aren't forgetting about Pouliot, who I've watched play first hand many times. He's going to be a top pairing defenseman for sure

trust me, those defensemen are not forgotten, ive seen projections already where the D pairings are

Letang Martin

Maatta Bortuzzo

Despres Pouliot

How much you think Niskanen makes? I think someone throws a ridiculous deal at him and he ends up making around 5.5-6 mil a season.

Nisky will get a $20+ million contract over 4+ years.  theres no way the Pens are ever going to pay him that much money, and I honestly dont think he's worth it.  

Kesler has 2 seasons left at a 5 mil cap hit. I'd think the canucks would want more than just Fleury, and I'd imagine the Pens would want to know who his replacement would be. Maybe Lack is included and we get something else from you, then you guys sign a FA to split with Lack? I don't know, either way it'll be a fun summer

Kesler has 2 seasons left at a 5 mil cap hit. I'd think the canucks would want more than just Fleury, and I'd imagine the Pens would want to know who his replacement would be. Maybe Lack is included and we get something else from you, then you guys sign a FA to split with Lack? I don't know, either way it'll be a fun summer

well they've got, what has been considered the future netminder still in development in the WHL i believe, and really, they dont need a marquee goalie to be successful, look at how they did last year with Vokoun for part of the season/most of the playoffs.  maybe they'll package Neal/Fluery together for KEsler/Lack/someone, who knows.

another fun rumor floating, that apparently theres some interest from Babcock in the Pens HC or GM position.. LOL

Prospect of the Year: Tristan Jarry, G, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Tristan Jarry had a phenomenal 2013-14 season. In his first year as the starting goaltender for the Oil Kings, Jarry led the WHL in goals against average (2.24), shutouts (8), and was the only goaltender in all of the three major Canadian junior hockey leagues to surpass the 40 win mark with 44.

Jarry possesses innate anticipation for a goaltender and is able to track the puck very well. He has a good stick-hand, which he can use to pass the puck and poke check, and is generally very confident in net. He still has a long way to go in his development, but he has demonstrated plenty of promise thus far.

Most Improved Prospect: Matt Murray, G, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

Matt Murray is not only the most improved prospect in the Penguins organization, but is arguably the most improved goaltender in the OHL. Murray was one of the league's top goaltenders through the 2013-14 regular season, managing a 32-11-6 record, a .921 save percentage, and a 2.57 goals against average. The numbers are a far cry from his 2012-13 season, where he still managed a winning record at 26-19-4, but also posted a bloated 3.67 goals against average and .894 save percentage.

It was not as though the team in front of him improved a great deal either. They Greyhounds iced a fairly young lineup in 2013-14, and Murray actually saw more shots on average than he did in the previous season.

I heard the Babcock thing as well, will never happen. One name I did hear that is interesting is Barry Trotz since him and Shero have ties from Nashville.

ive heard that a lot, if Shero doesnt lose his job i'd be surprised if Trotz didnt get the job.  not sure if id really be into that or not