What video games have you been playing?

Are you guys playing Diablo on PS4? I might pick it up if I have someone to play with..already played through it on PC a couple of times.

Can you play local multiplayer / split screen?

I think 4 way local is possible, but not too sure as I don't use those features. I'll be playing on ps4 and it will be my first time ever playing Diablo. Very much looking forward to it.

So what would be the biggest perk in owning a 1 TB HD over 500 GB? Had anyone come close to filling their 500 GB? I guess you could download way more games directly to the console, if that's your jam. But as far as DLC, save files, and things of that nature... is 500 GB pretty ample?

It is and it isn't...

Install for these games is getting huge. Last of Us required 50GB install space.  So... hypothetically your hard drive would be full after 10 installed games of that size.

So what would be the biggest perk in owning a 1 TB HD over 500 GB? Had anyone come close to filling their 500 GB? I guess you could download way more games directly to the console, if that's your jam. But as far as DLC, save files, and things of that nature... is 500 GB pretty ample?

Games on XB1 are all stored on the hard drive. Most games are an average of 20gb with some as large as ~40gb. I just downloaded a few map packs for Battlefield and Titanfall - they were 4-6gb each. It all adds up quickly. I'm pretty close to capacity. I might have to go for an external drive soon.

Disc based games all have massive mandatory installs of like 30-50GB. Luckily a 50GB install like The Last of Us still does it in a minute or two as soon as you insert the disc, so it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal to just delete install data when you're not regularly playing a game. It's easy enough to swap out the stock 500GB HDD with a cheap TB HDD for the PS4 though.

Disc based games all have massive mandatory installs of like 30-50GB. Luckily a 50GB install like The Last of Us still does it in a minute or two as soon as you insert the disc, so it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal to just delete install data when you're not regularly playing a game. It's easy enough to swap out the stock 500GB HDD with a cheap TB HDD for the PS4 though.

Yeah. I highly doubt I'll ever have as many as 8+ games on constant rotation. But, you never know I guess. It's slightly annoying that you'd have to un-install games you own just to install and play other games you own after just 8-10 games though.

This is 2014 GODDAMNIT.

Yeah, that would be the plan. I don't plan on playing a slew of games, but I'll probably end up getting lots of DLC for the ones I keep up on. Had no idea it wasn't a huge hassle to swap out the PS4 HDs. I assume they're internal, right? Do you have to mail them in for that?

Yeah, that would be the plan. I don't plan on playing a slew of games, but I'll probably end up getting lots of DLC for the ones I keep up on. Had no idea it wasn't a huge hassle to swap out the PS4 HDs. I assume they're internal, right? Do you have to mail them in for that?

I don't know how it is on the PS4, but on my OG 60GB PS3 you just took the cover off the side, took out one screw and the hard drive just slides out.

Nope it uses any 2.5" laptop hdd. The glossy panel on the top of the console slides off with a bit of pressure then the drive is right there ready to be replaced.

Nope it uses any 2.5" laptop hdd. The glossy panel on the top of the console slides off with a bit of pressure then the drive is right there ready to be replaced.

Wait, what? Seriously? I'm assuming Sony frowns upon that, yeah? If so, I should probably consider buying a beefier HD before my console even shows up. I imagine transferring the data - down the road - would be a pain in the ass.

There's no OS or default factory files on the stock HD?

[edit]

Stopped being lazy and read up on a tutorial. Damn. That is incredibly awesome.

Wait, what? Seriously? I'm assuming Sony frowns upon that, yeah? If so, I should probably consider buying a beefier HD before my console even shows up. I imagine transferring the data - down the road - would be a pain in the ass.

There's no OS or default factory files on the stock HD?

Nope they made it that way on purpose, the PS3 was the same. If you swap the HDD you just need to download the OS onto a USB drive from your computer and pop it in the PS4 to install it.

Nope they made it that way on purpose, the PS3 was the same. If you swap the HDD you just need to download the OS onto a USB drive from your computer and pop it in the PS4 to install it.

Sweet.  I think I'm going to roll with the factory HD and try to score a 1TB (or greater) during Black Friday, since it doesn't sound like space will be an immediately pressing issue.  Two dumb questions though – I've never messed with a laptop HD before, but I'm noticing that there are a lot of shells / enclosing cases for them.  Is this a no-brainer before installing into the PS4?  I'm just unsure if the case would protect it from potential scratches and dust, or if it should be left off to allow the HD to breathe without overheating.

And on the subject of overheating, if the factory HD is 5400 RPM, is it recommended to stick with 5400 for the upgraded HD?  I'm seeing a lot of 7200.  It'd be great if it allowed the game to save and load faster, but I wouldn't want to risk doing so at the cost of frying the console.

My PS3 is 250 gig and I have about 80 gigs left.  I usually play discs, but I also have a decent amnt of DLC for disc-based games and also a decent amnt of downloadable titles that aren't available on disc.  I always install game data, and keep lots of saves cause I mostly play RPGs and I have a little bit of music on there, but not very much, really.

So since I got it I've never had to worry, but now that I'm down to 80/250 I tend to keep that in mind, but I still get DLC if I want to.

For a PS4, games are going to be bigger, so I think 500 will be good enough for most people without having to worry much about running out of space. And 1 TB is like extra padding room to make sure that you never have to worry about running out of space.  Unless you are completely willy-nilly with filling it up.  If you have less space available, you might be more keen to maintain it, having a TB you could probably just throw whatever you want on there and forget it's even there for a few years.

Whoa I didn't know the game installs for PS4 were 10 gigs, that pretty intense, but not super surprising. I have downloaded Japanese VO DLC and it was 10 gigs.

Looks like with PS4/XB1 you will want to go bigger, but like others said you can just buy a TB drive and swap it out.

10? My smallest install size is 16GB and that's because Tomb Raider is just an upscaled PS3 game. My other 5 games are 21, 37, 45, 49, and 50 GB installs. With my 6 games and DLC/PS+ games I'm well over halfway filled and the good games haven't even started coming out yet haha.

I'll need a 2TB drive like a year from now with the way this is going.

10? My smallest install size is 16GB and that's because Tomb Raider is just an upscaled PS3 game. My other 5 games are 21, 37, 45, 49, and 50 GB installs. With my 6 games and DLC/PS+ games I'm well over halfway filled and the good games haven't even started coming out yet haha.

I'll need a 2TB drive like a year from now with the way this is going.

Not sure about game install sizes off-hand, seems like it varies greatly.  (I'm playing Tales of Symphonia right now so I decided to check it out...) I'm not super into realistic games, I like a lot of games that are a little older, and cartoony, so the install sizes aren't huge.  (Tales of Xillia ~2 GB, Drakengard 3 ~5.5 GB, Valkyria Chronicles ~3 GB, Dragon's Crown ~1.5 GB)  

So they're all in the thousands of MB, and those are some of the only games I've got that have install data, most games don't require it, or even have the option.  I always take the option, when given, just so things might load faster, and apparently it doesn't take up too much room.  But none of the games I've got that use install data are really pushing realistic graphics like crazy.  A lot of them are anime/cartoon-style.  

PS4 is next-gen so all the games are going to be incredible looking but also eat HD space along with that improvement in graphics.  So I'm sure they're typically smaller than PS4 games, but I was saying that I downloaded a Japanese voice-over pack as DLC for a PS3 game (so I could play the game with the original voices instead of English dubbing) and it was 10 gigs alone.  So all the dialogue (in Japanese) audio tracks for the entire game and it's a 10 gig download.

With the size of the PS4/XB1 game installs I could see things adding up fast.  That's probably why I haven't seen them selling systems smaller than 500 gig.  Seems like you're gonna need at least that.  I know I would.  I would say get more than 1 TB HD if you can afford to.  I would try and go for a few TB and then just not have to worry about 'shuffling' data around when you want to play a new game.