What video games have you been playing?

Finished up windwaker hd.

Fun game, but it got old towards the end. You could just mash buttons and get through almost every enemy other than the bosses. Had 15 heart pieces, so was never in danger of dying. The quests were fun (treasure hunts, secret missions on the islands) but after a while, I just didn't care about 200 rupees or a piece of heart.

I'd give it a B. Probably a better game for a 12 year old than a 27 year old.

Finished up windwaker hd.

Fun game, but it got old towards the end. You could just mash buttons and get through almost every enemy other than the bosses. Had 15 heart pieces, so was never in danger of dying. The quests were fun (treasure hunts, secret missions on the islands) but after a while, I just didn't care about 200 rupees or a piece of heart.

I'd give it a B. Probably a better game for a 12 year old than a 27 year old.

Take that back!

So it's about time I get a new laptop.  One of the big things I'm looking for is a decently priced one that can run Steam games well.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Kinda looking at this one at the moment: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-aspire-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i3-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-steel-gray/5009277.p?id=1219106277450&skuId=5009277&st=pcmcat138500050001_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=11

So it's about time I get a new laptop. One of the big things I'm looking for is a decently priced one that can run Steam games well. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kinda looking at this one at the moment: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-aspire-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i3-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-steel-gray/5009277.p?id=1219106277450&skuId=5009277&st=pcmcat138500050001_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=11

as long as it has a good

graphics card you should be fine. I got $600 HP with a graphics card and it can run games such as fallout with next to no lag. All depends. Unless you have a thousand dollar laptop, you're not going to be able to run games like Skyrim or the like as well.

I guess instead of just "Steam games" I should've said "indie games on Steam." I have a PS4 so if anything "big" comes out I'll just get it for that.

And can you buy a bigger graphics card if need be or are you pretty much stuck with what it comes with? Sorry if this is pretty basic stuff, I know next to nothing about the actual workings of a computer.

I can't really answer that because I use, and am mostly familiar with, Apple computers. Sorry, but maybe someone else will be able to help out better.  Best thing to do is look up the games you want on Steam and get something better than that to future-proof yourself a little bit.

For me, I have a few indie Steam games, but I often see games that require a newer OS, so they're not really an option for me. And like I said, you might be surprised at the requirements of some of games that seem simple compared to games like Fallout and Skyrim.  

Generally speaking though, your going to want whatever OS is compatible with the games you want to play, as many gigs of RAM as possible, and like someone else said, a good graphics card.

The processor on that laptop is an i3 - I know that Apple was using i5 and i7 a lot and that those will work for games.  i3 might cut it, but do a bit of research and make sure first, cause it might not.

Seriously though check the games you want and take note of the specs... look...

FEZ is kind of an old game at this point... that laptop has enough RAM (6 GB expandable to 8 GB) FEZ requires at least 2 GB RAM, 4GB recommended, the more the better though.

And games that came out more recently, or will be coming out, when you go to throw those on will the computer be able to handle it?

Check out games you're into and see what they need.  The i3 processor might be a little lacking.  I don't know what you want to play but just generally and in the interest of being able to play games that are released in the foreseeable future, you might want to at least go up to an i5 processor to make sure you can run things smoothly.  Make sure your graphics card will cover everything too.  The OS they include should be fine.

Seriously though, just check the games you want on the Steam website, all the specs are there.

Not to jump away from the PC discussion, but I have a quick question on displays.  (And another on Amazon's return policy, I guess.)

As some of you know, I settled on a Samsung 32" LED TV last week.  I did my research, and I'm 99% sure I scored a Samsung panel - it looks gorgeous right out of the box, whereas non-Samsung panels sport super shitty visuals, or require ample calibration to achieve a suitable display.  Neither were the case for me.  I tampered with the contrast, lighting, etc. to get things picture perfect, and I'm very happy with the way it looks.

However.

It's got a serious issue with motion blurring.  The problem isn't with ghosting or bleeding colors, but it's more like an issue with the focus.  I've been playing TLOU (remastered) and it's especially evident on the cutscenes; the texture on Joel's shirt or the hairs of his beard look photo-realistic when he's not moving.  But if he turns slowly, or breathes heavily, or shifts his weight - pretty much any subtle movements - the TV jumps between super sharp (realistic) detail and a subtle "motion" blur.  Sometimes the jumps are so frequent and fast that these textures flicker and become very distracting.

I have 1 more week to decide if I want the TV or want to return it without a restocking fee.  I'd really like to order a panel from Amazon within the next few days, and do a comparison with the both of them.  I'll know immediately which one I'd like to keep, but I don't know how many hoops I'd have to jump through to return a $280 monitor back to Amazon, if it has the same issue.  I've never really had to make any Amazon returns, and don't know their policy with electronics.

The Samsung is a 32" vs. the 27" monitor.  The extra space is very nice, but not absolutely essential.  I'd trade it to avoid that motion blur, for sure.  I will miss that remote, though.  I've forgotten how much I enjoy a remote control with a display.

[edit]

Fuck it.  Ordered it anyway.  Will be very interesting to do a close comparison and confirm just how close (or superior) one is to the other.  The response time on that monitor is the best on the market, but I honestly didn't notice any delay in all my time with TLOU, so far.  I figure I'd bite the bullet instead of constantly wondering "what if..."

[edit #2]

That ASUS showed up today and holy shit, it's incredible.  I immediately noticed a difference in the detail and focus / blurring.  The "difference" being that it's nonexistent on this new monitor.  I figured 27" would be a significant step down from 32"... but since the pixels are smoother and there's better contrast, you don't have to sit so far away from it as you would a 32" TV.  The remote was nice but I love the touch-sensitive buttons on it.  They don't require any fumbling or clicking in like my older monitor, so it's all good.

One and only gripe are the weak-ass speakers built into it.  I knew that going on, obviously, but they're even a step or two below the Samsung's built-in audio.  Very weak.  I had planned on upgrading my desktop speakers before the month is over, so it's all good.  Just sucks that my introduction to Destiny could sound so, so much better than it well.  But it's a small price to pay for crisp, clean visuals.

Busy schedule ahead of you! ^

Haha, well I only have 3 left to slam out, I took a little break for Fallout, and I'm just ripping through Arkham Asylum. Was going to use it as my "down-time" game while playing ME:3, but it's going to quickly!

Both amazing games!

I finished Symphonia and have been playing Xillia 2.

I still want to play through Tales of Symphonia, yeah both games are great!

Mass Effect trilogy...mmmmm

Tied for my favorite game series with Uncharted.

I actually have haven't played any of the Uncharted games. Each time something that looks good comes up for ~$5 on Live I pick it up. Got Far Cry recently (the first one) and haven't touched it yet. Want to restart Oblivion after I finish ME up, didn't really like it at first though, which surprised me.

I've got a long list of games to catch up on before I even consider moving up to current gen.