Your white whale

So I did a search and found a bunch of "OMG white whale soo close" but not one where you just talked about your white whale(s). So list them bitches and let us know why. A few rules:

1) It can't be on ebay all the time. Every six months is one thing but (for example, some records I want) The Shape of Punk to Come is not an amazing record to want (I think there are two up right now), it has to be at least somewhat difficult to come by.

2) You need to want it for personal reasons. I don't care what they are but it can't be "I want a test press of Your Favorite Weapon because it'd be worth a lot of money"

Pretty simple.

Here's some examples (from me):

1) Duh! New Mexican Disaster Squad/Western Addition Split, Blue/red swirl (1/4). I love both bands, WA was the first band I interviewed who I really felt cool with. I've had a really good relationship with Chicken and the rest of the band for a while and I've had NMDS sleep at my house. Both amazing bands and a great split. None of these records were ever sold and I've e-mailed Var about it twice and he has no idea what happened to them. I've hit a pretty cold trail.

2) Slapstick - Either their split 7" or their S/T test press. Ironically, both of these have been on ebay lately, but they're almost never up. I didn't catch the split as it was part of a "lot" and I lost the test press after bidding over $125. Slapstick was always for me what Operation Ivy was for most kids. I just always thought it was what ska punk should sound like. Also, their S/T was my first real "find" and since then it has been my destiny to own their whole set.

You're turn. ;D

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) NOFX - The Decline on clear wax. I want it because it's one of my favorite releases of all times. However, I know I won't be able to afford one for a long time though...

2) Matchbook Romance / Motion City Soundtrack Split 10" Test pressing: Matchbook romance is my favorite band of all times right after NOFX. Seeing as this is their only release on wax and I have it, now I desperately need a test press. I also have 99% of their rare singles (cd), demos, etc. so i really NEED IT!!!

Boys Night Out-Broken Bones and Bloody Kisses on Translucent Turquoise /3. Even before I decided to get a full BNO collection and before I knew there were only 3 this was the color that I wanted. Then I found out more about it and saw a picture of it and I REALLY wanted it. The band has made a big impact on me and they've always been super cool to me when they've come through town. I think Justin at Forge Again has one and I assume the band or Chris at One Day Saviour has the other two which means that I'll most likely never get it but I can hope.

Fountains of Wayne - Fountains of Wayne LP

I'm not convinced that it actually exists. Regardless, if it ever shows up, I'll put in a healthy bid. Nothing insane. There's no record worth more than like $50 to me, especially when I've had the CD version for 10+ years. It's retarded because I have a bunch of records I could SELL for more than $50 but won't. I just can't PAY that much for one. The fun is in the thrill of the hunt. Not shelling out the big $.

My white whale is Texas is the Reason "Do You Know Who You Are?" on white. I have yet to see one on ebay.

Someone on Dead Format sold theirs for $175, and I would pay that easily, but I signed up over there after he sold it. My second close call was when I offered my Jane Doe on clear plus another record (Second record to be determined) for it and the guy spent about a week thinking about it and decided not to.

My emotional attachment? They were my favorite band back then. Before that album came out, I was very much into the "If it isn't fast and loud, it isn't punk" phase. That album changed my life, so to speak. I remember hearing ti for the first time, and being blown away.

I don't really know what else to say. I know it is rare, I know I will spend alot of money on it eventually. I also know it is a record I will never get rid of. It will be a record that my son will have when I die.

1) NOFX - The Decline on clear wax. I want it because it's one of my favorite releases of all times. However, I know I won't be able to afford one for a long time though...

punk rock jeff just got one for an obscene amount of money...good luck finding one...

you never know. i got my 2nd one at ameoba for 3.99

Alkaline Trio - Sundials

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary on blue/black splatter

Planes Mistaken for Stars - Spearheading the Sin Movement on cloudy w/ regular cover (gotta love No Idea)

Planes Mistaken for Stars - Fucking Fight with a b/w cover (not the beowulf etching, the map one)

Hot Cross - New Set of Lungs in the metal cast and on orange

I think that does it. Everything else I want is more or less easy to come by (knock on wood)