Fest 8

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this compare to SXSW? Of course I have no idea what South by was like in it's 8th year, but I went in 06, 07, and worked in 08. Is it harder to get into multiple shows per night because there are no badges? What about afterparties?

i'm sure plenty of people have been to both, i have been to fest the past 3 years and only went to sxsw once but man...they are totally different.

when i was at sxsw you are right. its much more about badges and waiting in lines early. plus there did seem like a lot of 'private' need to know someone shows and events.

the fest is not like that at all. it's just a shit ton of venues that are open to everyone pretty much. some do get full but it's nothing like sxsw.

How does this compare to SXSW? Of course I have no idea what South by was like in it's 8th year, but I went in 06, 07, and worked in 08. Is it harder to get into multiple shows per night because there are no badges? What about afterparties?

the big difference is ones a festival which caters to a certain demographic of the punk rock community, and the other is a conference. the festival portion of sxsw caters to all kinds of music genres and what not. sxsw is first and foremost a conference for the music/film/interactive entertainment industry. The festival is full of non-label and signed bands who are there for many reasons. some are there to get noticed by fans, others for reason of getting signed. and others are just plain invited to play to get people to come to the festival.

Fest on the other hand is a endeavor made by fans for fans. everyone's there for the same reason. to have a good time and see some music. oh and drink beer! everyone is a little more laid back and everyone has the same thing on their mind.. see bands and have fun.

vitty vlog:

I know sxsw seems a bit more a "it's who you know" that gets you into after parties and events, if you play your cards right, you don't need to be a music editor, a band member, talent scout, or label exec.. You just have to know the system. standing in lines is ridiculous. if you know what goes on, you can see most bands several times over the festival period. Leaving you open to do other things, see other bands, etc etc..

vitty vlog:

I know sxsw seems a bit more a "it's who you know" that gets you into after parties and events, if you play your cards right, you don't need to be a music editor, a band member, talent scout, or label exec.. You just have to know the system. standing in lines is ridiculous. if you know what goes on, you can see most bands several times over the festival period. Leaving you open to do other things, see other bands, etc etc..

word i didn't mean to super hate on sxsw i just feel that they are two totally different beasts. fest is amazing where sxsw was just a really good time.

i actually had a blast when i went to sxsw, saw the best show of my life!

lawrence arms open for

against me open for

dillinger four open for

alkaline trio open for

nofx

tom fraj, ill be heading down from chicago, i dont know if ive got the extra room for 2 more people but ill try and find out as soon as i can if you want a ride.

Dude that would be awesome! Thank you. Don't worry if it will cause to much of a problem, but if there is room that would be brilliant.

vitty vlog:

word i didn't mean to super hate on sxsw i just feel that they are two totally different beasts. fest is amazing where sxsw was just a really good time.

i actually had a blast when i went to sxsw, saw the best show of my life!

lawrence arms open for

against me open for

dillinger four open for

alkaline trio open for

nofx

when was this? i bet this was the year i got the flu.

also i never thought you were hating on them. i just tend to explain things in detail.. my bad. haha...

If Jawbreaker do play i would hate to be one of the bands that has the same time slot in another venue. I hear it's not that fun playing to a tumbleweed.

Eh, I'd skip Jawbreaker if they did play. For one I'm not a big fan, but also because I don't like the big shows at Fest. I skipped a lot of pretty good bands at last year's Fest just cause I didn't want to deal with The Venue.