your views on downloading music

I buy the vinyl and burn/download the mp3's.

I've downloaded/burned CD's in the past. Usually its stuff that I wouldn't ever even buy in the first place and could live without. Sometimes I really grow to like a band because of downloading, and then I wind up buying their music. I first got into Drag the River because a friend burned me their CD. I liked it and had him burn me a couple more. I wound up falling in love and bought their entire discography through Suburban Home on CD and later bought everything on vinyl as well. I always support bands/labels I love.

Guest falloutcollapse

i am a big fan of downloading, because i really enjoy having the power of complete organization on itunes. i download a ton of things in a day, and its a great way to find out if you like something. if i end up liking it, i buy the vinyl (if available) or cd if it isn't. i don't have a ton of money though, so i end up just buying my absolute favorites. ex: juturna by circa survive, the always open mouth by fbtmof right now

i really only buy cds when theyre on sale or straight from the bands at shows. i bought tons of shit when tower went out of business. the only other way ill buy a cd is if i cant find a decent rip online. sometimes ill buy used. the last cd i bought during the first week of release was tool's 10,000 days. that band needs to be heard the way it was intended by the band/masterer. one of the best recorded/produced albums ive ever heard.

I download a ton of fucking music...but I spend more money than I should on music too.

I'm greedy I guess, because I want to hear EVERYTHING. If I like it, I eventually buy it. That's just how things are in 2007. Soon we're going to see a big shift into the digital market. Labels are starting to wise up, sans Universal who are complete fools for backing out on Apple.

Kids don't really buy music. Out of all of my friends my brother, my buddy JB, Heisel, and P Fresh are the only people I know that buy music still. I don't just have 5 friends either.

yea I download some stuff, usually listen once and delete it. no sense keeping something I don't like. If I do like it I usually get it on vinyl. I've found out about some awesome bands this way. I do feel guilty, but I do my best and know I'm not made of money. But just now someone asked me on last.fm to upload a song on a comp that I put a lot of work into, and that really sucked.

i rarely download. trying to find a record at a high bit rate is usually a pain, as the norm seems to be 192kbps. if i want to hear a new band, i'll usually just use myspace. i dont have to download anything, and 2 or 3 songs is usually all i need to hear to know if it's worth checking out.

not to mention im jaded and old, and i miss the legwork in finding out about new bands. this whole concept of having a music "collection" by clicking your mouse rubs me the wrong way.

i rarely download. trying to find a record at a high bit rate is usually a pain, as the norm seems to be 192kbps. if i want to hear a new band, i'll usually just use myspace. i dont have to download anything, and 2 or 3 songs is usually all i need to hear to know if it's worth checking out.

not to mention im jaded and old, and i miss the legwork in finding out about new bands. this whole concept of having a music "collection" by clicking your mouse rubs me the wrong way.

I'm the same way, I almost never download... and if you're band can't win me over in 3 songs (which is more or less the length of a 7") then why would I want to download your whole freakin' album?

I remember when the only way to discover new bands was if a friend told you about it or if you bought a comp. I miss those days.

I remember when the only way to discover new bands was if a friend told you about it or if you bought a comp. I miss those days.

I'm 22 and I pretty much caught the end of that time period. It was really cool going to record stores and buying comps and discovering new bands. I also used to carefully read the liner notes of bands I liked to see who they thanked and would check them out. Also can't forget reading about all the bands in the distro slip that would come in a bunch of CD's and records back in the day.

Also, whatever happened to the $5 comp? I remember going to record shops and buying 2 or 3 comps at a time because they would only cost $3-5. Now it seems like comps cost what a regular CD costs, which sucks. Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

• 5 years later...

I listen to samples and read "reviews". I don't just freeload and download everything in sight.

If I know I am going to enjoy the album, I download the FLAC, but if I end up hating it or it does not have lasting value, I trash it. If I fall in love with it, I buy the record. 

How the hell did you manage to bump a 5+ year old thread?