HOT TOPIC CLEARANCE VINYL THREAD - UPDATED 12/6/11

I just need to bitch that the main HT here with vinyl sent it all back because they never sold it (except for when I bought it on clearance, haha). So annoying to stock so much of something then decide it's not cost effective. The entire store is not cost effective. I wish I could tell the local district manager that I will never go in there now because I have no reason to.

Would make sense to put records in stores that will sell them, no?

Sure. I get it. Just sucks it happens to the store near me.

And I wonder how much they sold? What was their idea of a successful bottom line?

Sure. I get it. Just sucks it happens to the store near me.

And I wonder how much they sold? What was their idea of a successful bottom line?

Not really info. I can share :)

I know, and I wasn't really trying to get you to spill the beans if you have any relevant info. Just speculating at what their revenue would need to be to justify them keeping vinyl in one shop versus another.

I just need to bitch that the main HT here with vinyl sent it all back because they never sold it (except for when I bought it on clearance, haha). So annoying to stock so much of something then decide it's not cost effective. The entire store is not cost effective. I wish I could tell the local district manager that I will never go in there now because I have no reason to.

why is this the stores fault? seems dumb for a profit making corporation to lose money solely so one person can get merchandise at a loss for the company.

I imagine if the entire store was not cost effective they would close the store and relocate it. Might as well move the vinyl to somewhere where it might sell for full price (for a profit), than let it sit and go out for a loss. If the only reason you went in there was to buy clearanced records, you really werent supporting the store anyway, so i doubt the district manager could care less if you ever go in there again.

why is this the stores fault? seems dumb for a profit making corporation to lose money solely so one person can get merchandise at a loss for the company.

I imagine if the entire store was not cost effective they would close the store and relocate it. Might as well move the vinyl to somewhere where it might sell for full price (for a profit), than let it sit and go out for a loss. If the only reason you went in there was to buy clearanced records, you really werent supporting the store anyway, so i doubt the district manager could care less if you ever go in there again.

Firstly, it is the stores fault for choosing to discontinue having vinyl available. Yet, I didn't say they couldn't do that because clearly they did. Nor could I prevent them from closing if they chose to. I was simply lamenting over the fact that I will not be able to buy records from them again. Clearance or not. Can you read?

I originally said I was the only person who bought vinyl there because I never saw anyone else looking at the same time, but it's absurd to believe that only I shopped for records at this particular store. There is no way of proving that empirically without looking at sales figures. But the store has been selling LP's for a few years, so it stands to reason that it must have been cost effective at some point, or else they wouldn't have continued the practice for so long.

It's also naive to believe that just one person buying records on clearance was creating a loss for the store. Perhaps they were losing some money on clearance weekend. But, like you said, they would close the store and relocate if they weren't making enough to profit considerably. So, me buying records and only shopping on clearance probably assisted them in making a little profit because they would be guaranteeing some sales, regardless if the margin of profit was cut by 75%.

And HT has those sales to get rid of stuff that they would have sent back to the warehouse. They do make money, albeit a small amount, whilst clearance sales abound.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know if Hot Fuss by the Killers has turned up recently at a Hot Topic location?

Thanks!

No, its out of print.

You might be able to find a copy of the LP/Tshirt package thing. Its like a box that has an exclusive colored LP and a Tshirt together. They are all on clearance too so if you find one it will be cheap. There's The Killers, Manson, Michael Jackson, Rolling Stones and a couple others.

• 2 weeks later...
I hear tell the HT in Olathe at the Great Mall is closing. True or false?

true, ironically, i think they're closing the same weekend as streetside january 23(ish)...

i stopped in last week, all that's left are band shirts, women's jeans, a few cd's, lots of body jewelry. there was like 4 or 5 records left, but nothing really great. everything was 50% off.

I hear tell the HT in Olathe at the Great Mall is closing. True or false?

true, ironically, i think they're closing the same weekend as streetside january 23(ish)...

i stopped in last week, all that's left are band shirts, women's jeans, a few cd's, lots of body jewelry. there was like 4 or 5 records left, but nothing really great. everything was 50% off.

Got two pairs of jeans for just a little over $31. I can now act all rock star at the ripe old age of 31.

I was thinking the same thing. Anyone know how often shit gets marked down?
Stuff used to get marked down every couple months or so. But with less and less Hot Topics carrying vinyl it seems to be happening less often.

less hot topics carrying vinyl? ive noticed more hot topics carrying vinyl, and the ones that already did have expanded their selection from what ive noticed.

• 2 weeks later...