proper eBay etiquette?

• 9 months later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edit: original discussion in this thread was dealt with, now for a new question!

how long do you wait for payment before reporting it to ebay?

i sold a record 12 days ago, sent a few invoices and a message, with no responses

am i at the point where i shouldn't feel impatient/like a dick for reporting it?

i sold a record 12 days ago, sent a few invoices and a message, with no responses

am i at the point where i shouldn't feel impatient/like a dick for reporting it?

I always state payment is expected within 5 days, unless the buyer makes contact with me with a special circumstance. Even then I wouldn't wait more than 10 days.

edit: original discussion in this thread was dealt with, now for a new question!

What about the second-chance buyer thing? I haven't had to use that yet, but if it works for you, then try that. Most sellers say "Payment within 5-7 days", so you've been more than lenient.

tell them to send it back and once you get it, offer a refund.

if the record isn't cracked, he'll probably just leave you alone.

also, asking for a picture can't hurt.

Hahaha...February.

Actually, did you ever get that shit regarding the broken record resolved?

honestly, I don't remember for sure.. I think I asked for pictures, and nothing ever happened from there. PayPal and eBay records don't seem to show back that far.

That dude must know someone on the inside!

I ask for payment within 72 hours. If it is a buy it now auction I set it so payment is due at check out. If more then that 72 hours passes I don't really mind unless it gets to over a week, then I follow up. If people explain a situation to me I will work with them. No response it gets relisted or sold to the next highest bidder.

I just had a guy who won a record from me for 280.00. He then tells me I'll be sending the money by pay pay next week, (his e-mail was sent on 12-16-10) he was wanting to pay almost a week later. I quickly contacted him and told him he had 48 hours to pay or the item will be relisted. He said he would have it here by tonight. dont let shady e-bayers screw you. lay down the law with them and tell them how it is. "This is my auctions under my terms, you dont like it?, too bad."

I would wait five days then send a message then wait two more and send another message then report it later that day. 12 days is too long.

• 3 months later...

gotta love ebay.. (and the USPS)

sold a video game on the 18th, got paid the 20th and shipped it out on the 23rd (first class, with tracking).

It has an expected delivery of the 26th on the site, but since the 23rd, it's said:

"Status: Processed through Sort Facility

Your item was processed through and left our PHILADELPHIA, PA 19176 facility on March 23, 2011 at 9:23 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."

so now the person is opening a paypal claim against me.. (8 days after they paid).

people are amazing.

I need to stop using ebay.

the picture thing is not a guarantee, because they could have bought a new copy to replace a cracked copy of theirs.

all you can do is say you're sorry and tell them they should have payed extra on shipping and asked for insurance.

it's not your fault what happens to the record during transit.

I just had a guy who won a record from me for 280.00. He then tells me I'll be sending the money by pay pay next week, (his e-mail was sent on 12-16-10) he was wanting to pay almost a week later. I quickly contacted him and told him he had 48 hours to pay or the item will be relisted. He said he would have it here by tonight. dont let shady e-bayers screw you. lay down the law with them and tell them how it is. "This is my auctions under my terms, you dont like it?, too bad."

how did no one acknowledge this?!

who wants to send me some money through paypay?!!

gotta love ebay.. (and the USPS)

sold a video game on the 18th, got paid the 20th and shipped it out on the 23rd (first class, with tracking).

It has an expected delivery of the 26th on the site, but since the 23rd, it's said:

"Status: Processed through Sort Facility

Your item was processed through and left our PHILADELPHIA, PA 19176 facility on March 23, 2011 at 9:23 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."

so now the person is opening a paypal claim against me.. (8 days after they paid).

people are amazing.

I need to stop using ebay.

The person filing the claim will lose since you provided tracking.

this.

all you others complaining about losing out on ebay are just bitches

Guest markovianprocess

how did no one acknowledge this?!

who wants to send me some money through paypay?!!

because we all knew what they meant and aren't quite that petty?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question!

I recently sold my first thing on eBay (Coheed VIP pass.) I posted in the description that I expect payment within 48 hours. Right after the auction ended the buyer gave me his address and asked for the invoice, so I sent it.

It's 2:15 now and at about 5:15 will be the 48 hour mark. I plan on giving him longer than that, but he hasn't sent any communication since asking for the invoice. If he doesn't end up paying, what do I do next? Just re-list the item?

Thanks!

yea I always say I'm not responsible for items damaged during shipping, I always offer insurance if they want to pay for it. if not, I'm covered.

I sold a print last year, and the poster tube got stepped on or something, and the guy was all bummed, but I told him he didn't pay for insurance, so there was little I could do.

Actually you're not. I lost a case where customer didn't pay for insurance and item was damaged by Post Office. In the end, they never took the money from me because the customer didn't return the item (probably a scam as usual)...but ebay said THE SELLER is responsible if USPS damages a package.

I had a fight with ebay and they told me that you are not allowed to charge for SERVICES like insurance, you can only charge shipping costs and they cap them for records/cds. Also ebay now takes your fees from shipping charges as well, meaning they still cap the $4 shipping and now take some of that $4 from you. They also sent out a message about delivery confirmation your packages or you are not protected. Who pays the $0.80? You do, from the $4 that they take fees from. Oh and the cardboard mailer? You pay for that from the $4 as well. Are we following the math, am I to assume we can ship records in the USA media mail anywhere for $1.80 (liberal estimate, $1 mailer, $0.80 confirmation, $0.40 to ebay FEE on shipping costs).

Guest vinyldoa

okay so I bought a record for a guy from the UK, it took a while for him to send, but he waited to accept payment so it was cool. when I got it, it was cracked. I contacted him via PM asking to split the difference since it was neither of our faults and waited 3 days and then emailed and PM'd him and waited a week, still nothing. then I filed a paypal claim saying it was cracked. he immediately responded to that saying it's not his fault and he's not losing all this money and escalates it or whatever. then I email and pm him saying I want to talk about it and blahblahblah because paypal won't let me say anything else since it's escalated. finally, he agreed to half refund and I waited a few days, then asked, still nothing. 2 days ago I told him I only have 3 days left to file another claim and I was going to on the last day if I didn't get a refund. he tells me he'll have the refund to me on the 26th. I want to trust him but I just don't know, I kinda just want the extra protection, so should I just file the claim?

I bought a CD from a respected-eBay seller. The auction at the top said "Like New: An item that looks like it was just taken out of shrink wrap. No visible wear, and all facets of the item are intact."

So I order it and when it arrives it's just the CD in a shitty black paper sleeve. I recheck and in the listing at the bottom it says "OUR CD IS THE OFFICIAL ADVANCE CD in the plain black sleeve."

I left negative feedback. The picture for the item is the album's artwork, which this clearly didn't include. I don't think I should have to read through paragraph after paragraph of an auction to find out the real details. How does a shitty sleeve that's worn as shit equate to "Like new, everything is flawless?"

Just venting.

I bought a CD from a respected-eBay seller. The auction at the top said "Like New: An item that looks like it was just taken out of shrink wrap. No visible wear, and all facets of the item are intact."

So I order it and when it arrives it's just the CD in a shitty black paper sleeve. I recheck and in the listing at the bottom it says "OUR CD IS THE OFFICIAL ADVANCE CD in the plain black sleeve."

I left negative feedback. The picture for the item is the album's artwork, which this clearly didn't include. I don't think I should have to read through paragraph after paragraph of an auction to find out the real details. How does a shitty sleeve that's worn as shit equate to "Like new, everything is flawless?"

Just venting.

i'm sure the cd is in flawless condition. read the description next time and dont be a dick by leaving negative feedback.

okay so I bought a record for a guy from the UK, it took a while for him to send, but he waited to accept payment so it was cool. when I got it, it was cracked. I contacted him via PM asking to split the difference since it was neither of our faults and waited 3 days and then emailed and PM'd him and waited a week, still nothing. then I filed a paypal claim saying it was cracked. he immediately responded to that saying it's not his fault and he's not losing all this money and escalates it or whatever. then I email and pm him saying I want to talk about it and blahblahblah because paypal won't let me say anything else since it's escalated. finally, he agreed to half refund and I waited a few days, then asked, still nothing. 2 days ago I told him I only have 3 days left to file another claim and I was going to on the last day if I didn't get a refund. he tells me he'll have the refund to me on the 26th. I want to trust him but I just don't know, I kinda just want the extra protection, so should I just file the claim?

yea, dude. you're beyond the point of messing around. at this point, i'd just want it settled and over with.

File for sure.