Have any of you moved back in with your parents?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An attic in Tampa sounds hot as fuck.

Its weird, Its built out like a loft type shit. there is a little staircase to get up there. they even have a shower/bath room and ac up there. it would basically be like living in a small studio apartment type deal but with no kitchen. not too bad.

i love my parents but my mom and i like to argue about just about everything and i just see it getting out of hand rather quickly.

well, i guess i am getting ahead of my self because i dont even have the job yet, but i just got thinking about it seriously since they want me to come back and meet the owners.

Im 23 and still at home. Living at home is closer then anywhere I can afford to rent that is close enough to work. I dont mind it here so much. Its just me and mum. If my younger sister was still here it would just be mental and I would probably be in prison. We do not get along. Glad she moved out a few months ago. My dad died just over 5 years ago so I've sort of stayed here longer then i would of liked to just to help out around the place. Take on the shit he used to do. But i cant stay here forever. Living at home has given me the opportunity to save up some money, even though i pay more in board money then anyone i know. Now i get to go backpacking around the world. So im happy with that. Once i get back from that ill be moving out to my own place. Looking forward to it, but worried about leaving mum here by herself.

Guest chappy5

I moved out to go to school and moved back home was last summer, would have agian this summer but my parents sold the house and I don't have a room of my own in the new place. Plus my brother and step dad can be pricks, so now im renting with a roomate, it sucks! but it's better than sharing a room with the bro.

Well i am still waiting, right now the job in tampa is at the top of the list.

But yesterday i got a call out of the blue from an agency here in town and set up an interview today at 3:30p

I am also supposed to have a 3rd interview with this one place on friday, but that job is something i dont want, but its a job so if i got nothing else and they offered it to me i would take it.

I just dont know if moving to tampa would be too tough on me and my girl. it would suck only seeing her and my dog like 9-12 days a month, and having to drive 8 hours round trip every weekend. The plus side is a job i would look forward too, and more money than what i was making before.

Man, i wish they would call me already... im tired of waiting.

I moved out to go to school and moved back home was last summer, would have agian this summer but my parents sold the house and I don't have a room of my own in the new place. Plus my brother and step dad can be pricks, so now im renting with a roomate, it sucks! but it's better than sharing a room with the bro.

Sounds like your parents really love you.

• 2 weeks later...
well i just took the job in tampa... looks like ill be moving in like 3 weeks. i guess i need to call my parents and let them know.

super stoked on the job but man this is gonna suck... hahaha....

gotta keep a PMA!

as much as i want to move out (and will as soon as i figure out which direction i want my life to go), there are definite upsides to living at home.

My advice to you--be really careful when renting out your place. It seems like something that is pretty easy, but my dad has been doing it for years and it is a total pain in the ass. People don't pay, they mess up the house, etc. The only good tenant he ever had was someone on government assistance. The money was just direct deposited into his account.

If you think the house is worth up to $800 a month, rent for $600 (if you can afford it), and be really careful about who you rent to. People will treat it more like a home and not like some place they are staying at temporarily if you don't try to squeeze every penny you can out of them.

Good luck

yeah well im not ready to rent out the place yet. My fiance is staying in the house until she finishes school. hopefully the market gets better in the next year but i doubt it.

Im excited and bummed just cause im gonna be away from her and my puppy for the next 8-10 months excpet for weekends.

Driving 7-8 hours every weekend is gonna get old fast.

Driving 7-8 hours every weekend is gonna get old fast.

That's gonna suck, although after making the same trip over and over, it seems to shorten itself (not actually, obviously, but in terms of how long it feels). When I first went down to school, driving up for shows seemed like the worst thing ever, but after doing it so many times, it's actually a relatively enjoyable ride. Some good music helps break it up.

• 8 months later...

I'm 30. I went home during college summers. At 22, I stopped going home because I was so tired of my parent's 'authority'. Little did I realize that having to pay for everything, even when renting, can get expensive quick. I was taking a lot for granted.

In 2005, at 25, I was in grad school, living in New Orleans. When Katrina happened and my place was inundated with water, I had to bite the bullet and go live with them in Florida. It was awful. I was totally independent at that point, I paid all my bills. I was making it. It felt like a fail to have to go back home.

In hindsight, it wasn't terrible. I saved a ton of cash. But it was constricting and I know they were unhappy at times. It was only a year.

living with my parents and just turning 26 is such a bummer, but there's no way that i'd be halfway to a good sized down payment for a little house if i didn't live here. so while other people i know are so cool and independent and living paycheck to paycheck in a crappy apartment, hopefully by this time next year, ill have a decent down payment and will be house hunting.