Getting records signed question

apirk

I've got alot of my records signed. I kinda prefer to leave my rarer items unsigned though. Especially because you dont always have full control of the situation. I once had a record signed in a gold paint pen that the person already had in their hand rather than using the one I had, and they smudged it (accidentally) before giving the record back. Looks terrible now. I also got a Slayer poster signed for a friend once.. his name was Damien, but Tom messed up the spelling, tried to correct it and it turned into a real dogs breakfast.

I'm really not trying to be a dick, because I truly feel that you should always do what makes you happy, so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else ... but seriously, don't you feel like a total tool fanboy asking some dude for his autograph? I'm probably a bit jaded because my job is to talk to bands and writers and stuff, but what is it like to fan out like that? They're just people, and for the most part very few people in the world care about this sort of music. Their signature is just ... nothing. I don't get it. Still, if it makes you happy then by all means go for it.

I think a lot of it is sentimental value with a small sense of monetary value and/or a (sort of) way to connect with the artist/musician/celebrity/whatever. I am not an autograph-ite, but I do have a couple of signed records in the collection.

I will admit, I have been asked to sign CDs and 7"s a few times at shows, and it kinda weirds me out haha.

nicely worded oakland. I also don't understand about people getting shit signed, especially rare stuff, so you would take it to a show and carry it around the whole time just for the possibility of a band to sign it? I don't even like buying records before a show because I don't want to carry it around and taking the chance that its gonna get fucked up, let alone bringing something from home.

I also don't really see the attraction to getting shit signed. One time when Strung Out was touring off of American Paradox I saw Jordan come out with an empty pizza box and I told him I would take it off his hands, and then I was like "but you have to sign it......and you have to draw the astrolux". He was confused as all hell, but I am the proud owner of a one of a kind pizza box signed by Jordan.

As I get older I would rather tell a band how a song changed my life or made me feel a certain way or tell them how good/inspirational they are instead of trying to hold on to a piece of them. I dunno, I guess I'm saying I would rather give back to the bands that have given me so much enjoyment instead of trying to take from them.

However, I'm sure some bands get a kick out of it when kids come up to them and idolize them and ask for their autographs.

I think autographs are cool because they remind me of that night when I saw that band and bought their album. I get to chat with them too.

I did sign a couple of albums too, it's kinda weird but it tells me that the people liked the show and the music and you get to chat with them for a moment. They'll remember you after that.

Love, bothways.

I've had my fanboy moments and had some bands sign an album here and there just for fun...Minus the Bear, 27, and Baby Shakes. It kinda marked the evening for me and always a reminder of a great show and also dealing with great people whose music I love. And I have them sign the jacket of course...

But I feel that if you're going out there to get shit signed just for the monetary value of it, then maybe it's time to reassess your intentions and alleged love for the music. Just sayin'...