TDKR- The Dark Knight Rises

TFP

Just got back from seeing it a second time, and I'm convinced that 95% of all dialog in the movie is important for the story. There is so little filler that it makes it very dense for a first viewing. I feel like with all of Christopher Nolan's movies, they get better with every viewing.

Also, how cool was it that...

Every major villain (except for the Joker) had an appearance in this movie! Two Face was brief, but it played out better as a comic book movie because of it. How often do you see in Batman comics a flashback of Barbara from The Killing Joke, or Robin being killed in A Death In The Family. Having a cohesive universe worked so well for these movies!

I might've missed this in the thread already... but I read somewhere that bane's voice was overpowering/disjointed to create chaos and confusion. I really enjoyed his wardrobe as well. that popped collar fur coat just oozed badassery

I might've missed this in the thread already... but I read somewhere that bane's voice was overpowering/disjointed to create chaos and confusion. I really enjoyed his wardrobe as well. that popped collar fur coat just oozed badassery

especially the way he was always clutching his collar. power stance like a bawss.

the understanding i have of his voice is as follows:

- tom hardy based it on the voice of an old-timey boxer

- in pre-screenings, people complained that between the accent and the mask, his lines were hard to distinguish.

- in post-production, they overcompensated, and we were left with a voice that didnt translate to stereo in the least, and pretty much took over all audio at all time.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Nolan has responded to the request to alter the sound mix on Bane's voice, but has only agreed to tweak it slightly rather than make any drastic changes.

An executive stated: "Chris wants the audience to catch up and participate rather than push everything at them. He doesn't dumb things down. You've got to pedal faster to keep up."

"- tom hardy based it on the voice of an old-timey boxer"

This is true. Apparently he based it on something Gorman, the King of the Gypsies. I also found it a little ironic since he played another famous "boxer" in the Bronson biopic and that was all I could think of when I heard him.

His voice was just a little higher than I expect and I found Bane slightly lacking gravitas as a result but it didn't really bother me in the grand scheme.

I thought the movie was great. I've always been a huge Bane fan and was a total nerd for the Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend comic book series back when I was in middle school. Anne Hathaway was definitely the biggest surprise for me, she was great as Catwoman. I can't decide if I like Batman Begins or Dark Knight Rises better. Ledger was great as Joker in Dark Knight but I like the plot of the other 2 better.

saw it for the first time this morning so i havent really had much of a chance to read about what others are saying (other than that slashfilm article posted earlier) but my initial reaction was "epic" - and i dont like to throw that term around. villain to villain, i probably prefer the joker but TDKR story is so much more epic in scope than TDK was.

the only "wait a minute?" moments i really had while watching were at two points:

1. the stock market scene - why wouldnt those trades be voided?

2. how exactly did bruce make his way back into gotham from the prison?

but hey, its a movie with a tremendous amount of plot crammed in 2 hrs and 45 min. i think most of the other stuff in that slashfilm article you just have to put aside, suspend your disbelief for a couple hours and enjoy the movie for what it is.