The Walking Dead

mcm1610

One thing to note about the Walking Dead, both the comics and the show is that it's supposed to be about the people. The zombies are just kind of there and while they help make the story great, if you're just watching/reading because of them you will be let down to some extent. I feel that the show leans on this much more, but that's just how TV is in general.

Kind of like how Lost is about the people and not all the awesome stuff, heh.

it's definitely more about the people than the zombies, but so far in the show, the parts with zombies have been the most compelling part for me and the character development/dialogue has been a little boring/drawn out in my opinion.

not to compare them, but in the comics, sometimes you didn't see a zombie in what seemed like forever, but it was rarely boring or tedious.

^ It seems like several issues would go by where you'd see a zombie in a stray panel here or there and nothing more.

I think modern zombie films (from the 80's onward) have heightened people's expectations of what to expect from the medium in terms of gore, carnage and general action. Prior to that (i.e. the first two Romero films), zombies were very much just window dressing and the plot was centralized around the characters being way harsher to one another than the undead ever could.

Waiting for tonight's episode to download. Stoked to watch.

watched the new one last night around midnight and was faiding in and out of most of it.

must watch again soon.

didn't see this barn part at all.

met the doctor, saw some boring transfusions, saw mom come back and cry a lot..

i think i missed about 10 minutes of the episode, spaced randomly throughout.

i hate how that poor girl has spent 2 damn nights alone in the woods while people are just like "yeah, we'll find her tomorrow".

o wait, iz just show

Considering how long Sophia has been missing I'm hoping that they don't end up killing off her character. She's supposed to end up being Carl's lady friend eventually.

Oh yes, that blue meth in the bag was most definitely the work of Heisenburg. That was the highlight of the episode for me. Sweet Jesus the ending of Breaking Bad's fourth season was so awesome!

There was a thread on /tv/ last night where folks were extensively discussing Daryl's blue meth inventory - apparently it's really huge in the biker circles? Eh.

They haven't brought the barn up yet, but in the comic, it's discussed and then unfortunate events abound.

I actually thought the pacing of this episode picked up considerably. Maggie, Hershel and (a much different from his comics counterpart) Otis blend in with the main cast fairly well - they've certainly nailed the tension between Rick and Hershel and this episode is the first time I've seen some of the glimmers of the more off the deep end Rick that we've all come to know in the original medium.

As for Sophia, they're gonna be playing a major game of deus ex machina for her to have survived after two nights. I think it's funny how Daryl has become the clear thinking leader in light of Rick's absence. It suits him well.

There was a thread on /tv/ last night where folks were extensively discussing Daryl's blue meth inventory - apparently it's really huge in the biker circles? Eh.

They haven't brought the barn up yet, but in the comic, it's discussed and then unfortunate events abound.

I actually thought the pacing of this episode picked up considerably. Maggie, Hershel and (a much different from his comics counterpart) Otis blend in with the main cast fairly well - they've certainly nailed the tension between Rick and Hershel and this episode is the first time I've seen some of the glimmers of the more off the deep end Rick that we've all come to know in the original medium.

As for Sophia, they're gonna be playing a major game of deus ex machina for her to have survived after two nights. I think it's funny how Daryl has become the clear thinking leader in light of Rick's absence. It suits him well.

daryl = sawyer from lost

I actually thought the latest episode was the most boring yet. Yeah it had suspense with "what's gonna happen to Carl?," but I felt it really started to pick up just as it was going to end.

I think this complaint is totally fair but it's one that's often lodged towards media working in a serial format where you're getting chunks of story at a time (I can't think of the amount of times I've seen the complaint about slowness with a last minute pick up in terms of each issue of the comics). Eight months from now, this season will be out on DVD and when we're watching it marathon style, it'll make way more sense as a cohesive story since the wait time between episodes will be a non issue.

It also looks like AMC has renewed it for its third season: http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/10/amc-renews-the-walking-dead.php

I read a lot of the book before the show started and kinda know "what's gonna happen next," but I think that even if I hadn't this show would be pretty boring. The pacing is soooo sloooow. I've always felt like any zombie movie/show/game needs to have a high energy "HOLY FUCK! WHAT DO?" feeling hanging overhead and this show doesn't really have that as often as it needs too. I have a hard time getting excited to watch each new episode which is a damn shame given I have at least 250 zombie movies in my library that I watch on a regular basis, you'd think this would be right up my alley. This is easily the third best of AMC's front running shows.

I'm always on the hunt for more zombie films of quality, mind shooting me over a sample list of some of those 250 you have? I've only got a few dozen in my own library at this point so I need to get some new titles in there.

If you use NZBs I can shoot you a link to a big ass collection of movies on NZBMatrix, some of them are pretty obscure and were mostly low budget indies. I could also copypasta the list and you can hunt down the ones you haven't heard of.

I have all 7 hardcover books now, just got the last one. I also got the first covers book, which in retrospect is kind of silly since the hardcovers have the covers all in there anyway, but it's a nice touch having them critique their own covers and talk about the process of creating each one. I really want to go back and buy all the trade paperbacks pretty much just so I can lay the covers side by side. I'm a loser.

Luckily I'm too poor so I can't even waste my money if I wanted to.

I only collect the softcover trades, so the covers book is really cool for me (though I'm envious of the hardcovers just because they look so much nicer). It's really weird reading the softcovers though because since they don't put the original issue covers in and due to the nature of the leave off/pick up nature from one comic to the next, each batch of issues reads like one long form chunk instead of six tiny fragments since there are no page breaks from one issue to the next.