The Walking Dead

mcm1610

Perhaps, but they were tiny surgical scissors. Short of slitting her throat, what could they possibly do?

It's possible that Beth was going for her neck, but was shaken by something - Dawn drawing the gun, pushing her, anything really - and so hit her shoulder instead. Nobody would make a conscious decision to stab somebody in the shoulder. 

Despite that, it honestly felt like all of it was for nothing.  If it wasn't for them trying to find her in the first place, Carol never would have been hit by a car, etc.  It just felt like what the fuck was the point of all of it?

You're right. It's tough to get behind deaths like this as a genuine thematic move for the show, because once someone is estranged from a group like that, they barely ever make it back. How often do hostage exchanges actually work on TV, even when they're played (relatively) straight like Rick's? As soon as Beth was gone, I lost a lot of hope for her actually surviving.

Anyone else in the group would have made for a more affecting death, but then it would have truly just been played for shock value. At least with Beth, they were trying to accomplish... well, something... I think?

You're right. It's tough to get behind deaths like this as a genuine thematic move for the show, because once someone is estranged from a group like that, they barely ever make it back. How often do hostage exchanges actually work on TV, even when they're played (relatively) straight like Rick's? As soon as Beth was gone, I lost a lot of hope for her actually surviving.

Anyone else in the group would have made for a more affecting death, but then it would have truly just been played for shock value. At least with Beth, they were trying to accomplish... well, something... I think?

I just don't feel like it accomplished anything.  Was I shocked? Yes, but I wasn't moved.

What I don't understand is what Beth was thinking. Did she think those tiny scissors would kill Dawn and nothing would happen to her? Think it was a very stupid way for them to kill off a main character. Didn't make much sense.

This is how I feel 100%, and honestly I wasn't that shocked. I felt bad for everyone who loved Beth, but I didn't feel bad for Beth. She was an idiot to try something when she could have easily walked away and forgotten the whole ordeal. 

I think it was more emotional seeing the actress who plays Beth, sitting on the Talking Dead couch get so emotional. She seems like such a sweet girl. 

What I didn't understand from the past though was why Maggie would leave with Glenn and Abraham and others if her sister was missing. I mean, the Abraham group just decided to come back because of what was revealed with "the plan" and Maggie was told they found Beth and she was excited (understandably). I wouldn't have left if my brother was missing. I guess it was all about "keeping their word."

Caught up on the last 15 pages of this thread. I don't think some of you can ever be happy.

I'm really liking this season. The pacing is way better than last year, and it's staying fresh with new challenges quicklyrics emerging and resolving. We will need a big villain soon, though.

And speaking of international considerations, if I was someone who had been fending off a zombie apocalypse for nearly 2 years I think I'd be more concerned with finding a safe place to live than worrying about other countries. Discussions about it, sure, over dinner or something, but I wouldn't be doing anything proactive about it while I'm not secure. That said, I think it'd be a cool mystery element if every once in a while a plane or helicopter flew overhead without explanation.

I think it was more emotional seeing the actress who plays Beth, sitting on the Talking Dead couch get so emotional. She seems like such a sweet girl. 

What I didn't understand from the past though was why Maggie would leave with Glenn and Abraham and others if her sister was missing. I mean, the Abraham group just decided to come back because of what was revealed with "the plan" and Maggie was told they found Beth and she was excited (understandably). I wouldn't have left if my brother was missing. I guess it was all about "keeping their word."

Kirkman addressed this in a very recent interview, because the lady and I were wondering the same thing.  Here's what he had to say:

"It’s definitely something that will be explored. Maggie is aware that her sister is out there. Because of the nature of this world, she is probably a little bit more willing to admit that she is more than likely dead than Daryl is. . . There’s been so much other stuff going on that this character is dealing with that there hasn’t been an opening where she would sit down and say, “Oh my gosh, she’s still out there. What can we do?” Daryl and Carol hadn’t gone on a mission to find Beth until they saw that car. There are really no options here. If Maggie had somehow been with Daryl in that scene, she would have been racing after that car just as intently as Daryl had. The story just hasn’t shaken down that way. We will be dealing with it in upcoming episodes, and you’ll definitely see where Maggie stands on this. I do stand by the fact that the character’s behavior is very much in line with the way we’ve established her."

Agree with most of the discussion in here. The whole Beth thing was just puzzling and made no sense.

Let's be honest -- If the zombie apocalypse happens and you are in the last 1% of people alive, the safe haven you want is a small, unpopulated island. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

Caught up on the last 15 pages of this thread. I don't think some of you can ever be happy.

I'm really liking this season. The pacing is way better than last year, and it's staying fresh with new challenges quicklyrics emerging and resolving. We will need a big villain soon, though.

And speaking of international considerations, if I was someone who had been fending off a zombie apocalypse for nearly 2 years I think I'd be more concerned with finding a safe place to live than worrying about other countries. Discussions about it, sure, over dinner or something, but I wouldn't be doing anything proactive about it while I'm not secure. That said, I think it'd be a cool mystery element if every once in a while a plane or helicopter flew overhead without explanation.

I really liked this aspect of the comic, when the helicopter flew over, and later crashed.  It was insinuated that the passengers of said helicopter [that later ended up in a fishbowl] were the surviving characters from the original Dawn of the Dead movie.

Yeah I needed to get Beth back and let her be part of the group again for like a season before it would've hurt me.

We finally started to finally warm up to her right before her kidnap. And I think if her and everybody hates chris made the escape we expected and would've had longer screen time, it would've mattered a bit more to me.

Kinda just felt like they wanted to kill someone totally unexpectedly but it just fell flat.

I really liked this aspect of the comic, when the helicopter flew over, and later crashed. It was insinuated that the passengers of said helicopter [that later ended up in a fishbowl] were the surviving characters from the original Dawn of the Dead movie.

Haha, that's rad! I'm going to try to reread the books over Christmas.

As soon as Maggie was told Beth was still alive and the hope expression crossed her face I knew Beth had signed her death warrant.

All in all it's the half of the season was better than when Andrea's death. Based in the sneak peak it will more than likely be more focused on Rick's vision for how they'll proceed since the original DC trip was tabled. Good as Rick was an after thought for much of this season.

At first I was a little pissed I got a downvote up there after pouring my heart out about that scene. After realizing I was kind of spoiling it I understood how much I totally deserved it. So I do apologize. I was excited about talking to like minded individuals, and that excitement blurred my decision making skills, and I apologize.

At first I was a little pissed I got a downvote up there after pouring my heart out about that scene. After realizing I was kind of spoiling it I understood how much I totally deserved it. So I do apologize. I was excited about talking to like minded individuals, and that excitement blurred my decision making skills, and I apologize.

if people don't want spoilers about a episode they didn't watch yet then they shouldn't be jumping in this thread right after it airs.

evened you out.

You rock! Also, I agree, but I think the rules were stated throughout the thread and I just got so emotional about that scene. Not even the scene of death, but the one at the end where everyone is walking out and realizing a loved one of their group was now gone, even after all the efforts they made to stop it. I felt the anguish they were all going through and I give it up to the director. Did a splendid job putting that emotion on film....on a lighter note Rick....Car...Cop.... amazing awesome! I will say though, did anyone else feel like this was Rick's first kill of someone somewhat innocent? I was digging the bad ass Rick who made wrongdoers suffer, but this one I felt kind of guilty.

if people don't want spoilers about a episode they didn't watch yet then they shouldn't be jumping in this thread right after it airs.

evened you out.

after though edit: I like the discussions about the show, and less like the discussions about the integrity of the show, and slow episodes that are boring but help tell the story.

How do you post spoilers? I forget how it works.

Also, I'm very very confused about what's happening with Morgan. In the season premiere episode it was made to seem like he was following the group from afar because he was being cautious, or because of serious paranoia (which makes total sense). But in the mid season finale, when he went into the church, he picked up the piece of paper that Abraham left Rick with Rick's name on it. When Morgan saw that he looked very surprised. Anyone pick up on what's going on there?

How do you post spoilers? I forget how it works.

Also, I'm very very confused about what's happening with Morgan. In the season premiere episode it was made to seem like he was following the group from afar because he was being cautious, or because of serious paranoia (which makes total sense). But in the mid season finale, when he went into the church, he picked up the piece of paper that Abraham left Rick with Rick's name on it. When Morgan saw that he looked very surprised. Anyone pick up on what's going on there?

I want to say he is traveling on a similar path unbenounced to him that he is following Rick. You think animals take the path of least resistance, so maybe the survivors are also following a similar path of least resistance. Except he found out that Terminus was no place for safety, so he skipped that step.