Your opnion on picture discs?

nico

I don't like them. I'll take the regular LP version if possible every time.

I will say the new Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier double picture disc is easily the best sounding picture disc I've ever heard. All the rest are littered with background noise and sibilance.

Seems like it's only available as picture disck, eh? Was holding off buying it because of that (and the price) but if you say it does sound good I may change my mind....

But I seriously hate them (picture discs).

Yea, its only CD, download or Pic Disc. I waited a while before ordering hoping a regular vinyl would be released. Then I realized a handful of there newest releases were also only on picture disc and apparently sound terrible, from what I've heard. This one was getting rave reviews on sound quality over at Steve Hoffman's site, so I took a chance with it. I'll have to play it again now, its been a while. It's a LONG album though.

As proven by the fact that there are some good quality picture discs released, I don't think that poor sound quality is an inherent trait, I think that the issue is that most of the bands/labels that print picture discs do it for the novelty and don't give a flying &^%* about quality.

If the disc has good sound quality, it's not just the cover art, and they didn't cheap out with the packaging, then yeah, they're cool.

As proven by the fact that there are some good quality picture discs released, I don't think that poor sound quality is an inherent trait, I think that the issue is that most of the bands/labels that print picture discs do it for the novelty and don't give a flying &^%* about quality.

If the disc has good sound quality, it's not just the cover art, and they didn't cheap out with the packaging, they yeah, they're cool.

Exactly.

Same here, it's the plastic sleeves they come in that I can't get over. The record could sound great, the art could look great, but my OCD would force me to buy a proper cover for the record at some point. I like to hold the art work and lyric sheet in my hand while I sit down and listen to the album.

I have Blood Brothers - March On Electric Children on pic disc... it's supposed to be fairly messy sounding, and this disc sounds like shit. However, I also have Alexisonfire - Crisis on pic disc, and it sounds pretty damn good. Better than a particular record I have on black 180g that sounds like absolute shit (Protest the Hero - Kezia for anyone who's curious. It's a shame because the CD is one of the best sounding albums I've ever listened to).

My conclusion: pic discs probably could sound good with the right effort. BUT those stupid plastic sleeves just make me furious.

I forgot my uncle gave me his Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time pic disc and I've yet to listen to it, but it's packaged very well. Click on the link and check out the images on discogs.

It's in a sleeve within a diecut sleeve. It's pretty sweet. Eventually I'll listen to it when I'm in the mood for '80s synth pop.

I have a Tsunami Bomb picture disc and it sounds pretty good. Also have a couple Rancid ones, although I don't think I've ever listened to them since I already have those albums anyway.

The plastic sleeves are lame. I tend to take them out and put them in regular paper Lp sleeves inside of a regular LP plastic sleeve. I found I have to keep them separated from my other records though, otherwise I can't find them.