Glassjaw - W&T WHITE/EYEWTKAS ORANGE HT EXCL.

travis

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This release has absolutely no association with the band themselves.

Irrelevant. It pertains to Glassjaw; it's a pain in the ass. Fact of life.

Being serious, it would be no real surprise if this thing turned out pretty meh. Warner knows it has been requested in full. Cranking out a few thousand pressings in the most cost effective manner (single LP, likely no fancy packaging or insert) is something that they know they can get away with... because fans will obviously eat it up.

Despite being on one lp, i hope it sounds fucking great. Along the lines of diamond eyes. That was on one lp and sounded fantastic. Chances are it will sound alright though.

Diamond eyes is 5:30 shorter than W&T. That is crucial. If W&T were only 40 minutes, I wouldn't bitch at all. Diamond Eyes is one of the absolute best case scenarios for sound quality on a single LP in my experience but unless they've made some technological breakthroughs with the Long Player, the sound of this release stands to pale in comparison to a version that would be split across two discs. The less time per side, the better quality of sound you get. As a general rule of thumb, 45 minutes is the cap for two sides of one LP. You can got past that but the sound will suffer.

Granted I've heard albums around 47 to 50 minutes smashed on to one disc that have sounded way better than expected but you can still hear the faintness in the mastering. It just doesn't explode through the speakers the same as a press with a better duration constraint balance. Since W&T should only go half a minute over capacity, it shouldn't be so bad. We'll see, I guess...

Yea I think people are over reacting a bit. If it comes out and sounds like shit then yea complain about it but for now no one has even heard this on vinyl yet.

Also I would assume the band is still due some royalties from any album of theirs that is sold, even if the label owns the music.

True but didn't this issue just go on with RX Bandits Progress being pressed to vinyl and since the label had full control and owned all rights (I guess they were fucked out of royalty rights or something?) they didn't stand to make any money on it. Sounds like it could be a very similar situation with Glassjaw considering how much they hate Warner. I don't really know the full details of the RX situation but that's what I gathered based on the drama that unfolded on here and RX's facebook. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Despite being on one lp, i hope it sounds fucking great. Along the lines of diamond eyes. That was on one lp and sounded fantastic. Chances are it will sound alright though.

Diamond eyes is 5:30 shorter than W&T. That is crucial. If W&T were only 40 minutes, I wouldn't bitch at all. Diamond Eyes is one of the absolute best case scenarios for sound quality on a single LP in my experience but unless they've made some technological breakthroughs with the Long Player, the sound of this release stands to pale in comparison to a version that would be split across two discs. The less time per side, the better quality of sound you get. As a general rule of thumb, 45 minutes is the cap for two sides of one LP. You can got past that but the sound will suffer.

Granted I've heard albums around 47 to 50 minutes smashed on to one disc that have sounded way better than expected but you can still hear the faintness in the mastering. It just doesn't explode through the speakers the same as a press with a better duration constraint balance. Since W&T should only go half a minute over capacity, it shouldn't be so bad. We'll see, I guess...

Yea I think people are over reacting a bit. If it comes out and sounds like shit then yea complain about it but for now no one has even heard this on vinyl yet.

Also I would assume the band is still due some royalties from any album of theirs that is sold, even if the label owns the music.

True but didn't this issue just go on with RX Bandits Progress being pressed to vinyl and since the label had full control and owned all rights (I guess they were fucked out of royalty rights or something?) they didn't stand to make any money on it. Sounds like it could be a very similar situation with Glassjaw considering how much they hate Warner. I don't really know the full details of the RX situation but that's what I gathered based on the drama that unfolded on here and RX's facebook. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I own that label and the band got $500 of mechanical royalties on a 500 record pressing which went direct to the bands manager. The band are a bunch of whiny bitches cause richard hates them and refused to give them the rights to press it themselves and he hates life and wants out of the industry.