Most Overrated Movie?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lars and the Real Girl is the first one that comes to mind for me.

i was just thinking about that movie, i liked it quite a bit.

pulp fiction

i kind of agree with this...i like it as a movie, but i dont really get why everyone goes apeshit over it. maybe i need to see it again. i like reservoir dogs more myself.

i agree with a-money on clerks too, it was just okay

I didn't care for Scarface. I lost mad interest once MTV Cribs began airing, yo.

However, the original Scarface from 1932 is fucking great. I watched in my History of Film class and loved it.

this reminded me that i didn't like the godfather. maybe because i'm not a dude.

Some of you have some very strange opinions about great movies/films. How anyone could not like Rushmore, Pulp Fiction, or The Godfather is beyond me.

Either way, I don't really have an addition to the thread. For the most part, classic films are that for a reason, they're classic.

Also, Clerks was great.

Guest kingbuzzo
I didn't care for Scarface. I lost mad interest once MTV Cribs began airing, yo.

However, the original Scarface from 1932 is fucking great. I watched in my History of Film class and loved it.

I've never understood the love for Scarface. Outside of a few cool scenes it is very boring.

For me the most overrated movie is Citizen Kane. Yeah, it's a great film but really I don't think it deserves the amount of praise that it gets from every film critic ever.

Some of you have some very strange opinions about great movies/films. How anyone could not like Rushmore, Pulp Fiction, or The Godfather is beyond me.

Either way, I don't really have an addition to the thread. For the most part, classic films are that for a reason, they're classic.

Also, Clerks was great.

Not saying they are bad movies, just overrated.

wow I guess I'm a film geek cause I love most of the movies in this thread lol. particularly True Romance (one of my all time favs), Donnie Darko, Pulp Fiction, Godfather, all of Wes Anderson's stuff.

I actually saw True Romance before any other Tarantino flick and loved it. I'm a big Tony Scott fan, and I generally dig crime movies. But I did become a Tarantino fan afterwards, Pulp Fiction is an instant classic, and I really like Jackie Brown (it usually doesnt get much attention).

However, my contribution for overrated is Kill Bill 1 and 2. Everyone loves them, but for me they were a total disappointment. I guess I had high expectations being a tarantino fan, but they just didnt do anything for em.

Wizard of Oz, Pulp Fiction, Gone With The Wind,,,the motherfucking GODFATHER???

These are groundbreaking, genius movies. Not only do I enjoy the shit out of all of them, but on the grand scale I think they are not even close to be overrated.

I agree with the Wes Anderson films I've seen. I've heard a lot of people going on about how great they are/he is, but I was pretty bored.

Overrated=Departed, On The Waterfront, Citizen Kane, The Hangover, Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine on The Spotless Mind, Juno

Donnie Darko was ratarded. And yes, I intentionally misspelled "ratarded".

Btw, I loved True Romance, Pulp Fiction and Clerks. But then I saw Pulp Fiction at the theater when it first came out and saw the other two right after they hit the video store. So none of the three were over-hyped yet. And, IMHO, the first Clerks was far funnier than the second.

These are groundbreaking, genius movies. Not only do I enjoy the shit out of all of them, but on the grand scale I think they are not even close to be overrated.

I agree with the Wes Anderson films I've seen. I've heard a lot of people going on about how great they are/he is, but I was pretty bored.

Overrated=Departed, On The Waterfront, Citizen Kane, The Hangover, Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine on The Spotless Mind, Juno

You started strong but how can you talk about groundbreaking films then knock On The Waterfront or Citizen Kane?

Kane is important for what it did for the advancement of American Cinema - I won't debate if it is dull.

On the Waterfront is in my permanent top-10 and anyone who hasn't seen it should. It is a brilliant piece of directing, writing and acting. Further, it is a relevant film today considering the growing labor unrest building across this nation. I coulda been a contender...

wow I guess I'm a film geek cause I love most of the movies in this thread lol. particularly True Romance (one of my all time favs), Donnie Darko, Pulp Fiction, Godfather, all of Wes Anderson's stuff.

I actually saw True Romance before any other Tarantino flick and loved it. I'm a big Tony Scott fan, and I generally dig crime movies. But I did become a Tarantino fan afterwards, Pulp Fiction is an instant classic, and I really like Jackie Brown (it usually doesnt get much attention).

However, my contribution for overrated is Kill Bill 1 and 2. Everyone loves them, but for me they were a total disappointment. I guess I had high expectations being a tarantino fan, but they just didnt do anything for em.

If I were to make an "underrated" thread, my first thought would be Jackie Brown. Love that movie.

You started strong but how can you talk about groundbreaking films then knock On The Waterfront or Citizen Kane?

Kane is important for what it did for the advancement of American Cinema - I won't debate if it is dull.

On the Waterfront is in my permanent top-10 and anyone who hasn't seen it should. It is a brilliant piece of directing, writing and acting. Further, it is a relevant film today considering the growing labor unrest building across this nation. I coulda been a contender...

They can't just be groundbreaking...they have to be enjoyable too. I know that's in the eye of the beholder. I tried Ctizen kane a couple of times and really wanted to like it. I was blown away by some of the cinematic tricks, great shots, editing...but it's not enjoyable as any form of entertainment. same with Waterfront, I got the trailblazing aspects, but it just seemed boring. I'll give it another shot.

my pick? gone with the wind

UGHHHHHHH. 4 hours (and 2 VHS tapes!) of rich people complaining about their totally OK lives. Shit predates Eat Pray Love by 70 years. And it's so fucking racist. I get that it's "of a different time" or whatever, but can we all agree that the different time was a horrible racist time when black people were basically portrayed as monkeys, and never mention Gone With The Wind as a "good" movie ever again?

I really didn't care for Crash

http://videogum.com/13771/the_hunt_for_the_worst_movie_o_18/franchises/the-hunt-for-the-worst-movie-of-all-time/

I highly recommend that everyone read Videogum's WMOAT series. There are some "classic" (as well as infamously bad) films demolished in amazing detail.

If I were to make an "underrated" thread, my first thought would be Jackie Brown. Love that movie.

Oh yeah, Jackie Brown is great!