Telemarketing Jobs

So I finally landed a job at a local telemarketing place (my town's job scene is bullshit), honestly I'm thinking it'll help tons with saving for a new car + the ever-present record addiction since if I don't totally blow at it I can make decent bank. Anyone here ever do this? I'm just wondering if it sucks as much as everyone says. I'm trying to stay stoked by telling myself I'm basically getting paid to troll on the phone.

In college I took a job doing telephone surveys. You would think, as I did, that people are more willing to talk to someone who is doing a survey instead of trying to sell something. Matter of fact, part of my rehearsed spiel was to say, "I'm not trying to sell anything." Didn't matter, most people are assholes. We did surveys but it was a stressing for a few hours a day. The job lasted nearly a year but I worked for a shitty company. Perhaps a better place would have better results.

Main thing is OP, unless you're a sales type person, just get in and get out making as much as you can but always looking for something else. I don't know anyone who can do this work for very long.

as long as you don't take how people treat you on the phone personally, then the pay usually overshadows the crapness of the job. but really, in our generation without proper schooling or anything this is, unfortunately, the way to go alot of the times. its usually guaranteed (job, hours, pay, etc.) so even if its just for a bit its a decent way to put aside some cash. I don't do outbound calling but I've been working in a call center for the past 5 years of my life >.

when i was working at a car dealership, one of my jobs was to locate replacement parts. usually a very simple process, but every once in a while, we would need something that was just impossible to find. either because it was something totally obscure and exact model specific, or my boss was too cheap to pay what everyone was asking.

i just remember a couple times where i would spend my entire shift on the phone being told "no". and even while i wasnt doing anything wrong, it still sucked the life out of me, and made me feel terrible at the end of the day.

thats exactly why id never consider one of these jobs.

Yeah, I'm not really stoked for it but right now it's really the only option I've got since despite calling the shit out of other places I've applied I have yet to get anything definite out of them. I applied for a position as an in-studio photographer in a portrait studio in the local kmart (no experience required ha) I'm really hoping for since I'm solid with photoshop and lightroom but I don't count on anything around here lol.

In college I took a job doing telephone surveys. You would think, as I did, that people are more willing to talk to someone who is doing a survey instead of trying to sell something. Matter of fact, part of my rehearsed spiel was to say, "I'm not trying to sell anything." Didn't matter, most people are assholes. We did surveys but it was a stressing for a few hours a day. The job lasted nearly a year but I worked for a shitty company. Perhaps a better place would have better results.

Main thing is OP, unless you're a sales type person, just get in and get out making as much as you can but always looking for something else. I don't know anyone who can do this work for very long.

anytime i ever get a survey telephone call at my house, it's around dinner time. it's infuriating.

anytime i ever get a survey telephone call at my house, it's around dinner time. it's infuriating.

I was actually just thinking about that today. They HAVE to schedule me for the evening shift (4-9) because the morning one is packed so I KNOW I'm gonna be getting a lot of pissed off people.

I made $9/hr in high school in 1994 soliciting donations for the NY Fraternal Order of Police. I lasted 8 weeks and when I quit they offered me $12/hr because apparently I had a good return. I still said no because it was sucking my soul. I split my time caddying (good pay) and at a camp ($4.50 an hour). I was so much happier. I felt rich though from that telemarketing money. The best part was the facility was across the street from the old Vintage Vinyl Ocean Township location so it was convenient to make the money and then spend it.

About three months after I quit, the NY Fraternal Order of Police were busted for illegally using funds to pay for prostitutes at their annual National convention in DC. Made me feel really good that I'd shilled for them.

My advice, I was in the same boat as you. Do it until you can't. You'll know when that its just like everyone else here did.

damn dave, you made $9 in 1994?? i get that now (in my third year of college) to get alumni to donate to my school.

i used to be great at it, i was top caller a few times. shifts are from like 4-8 so we ONLY call people during dinner, whenever it happens i politely ask what they are eating and if it is good. doing it at a school seems very different than when its for a company putting pressure on you to get donations, there have been countless nights when i've walked away without a single donation.

Market is different I suppose. I hit when the Clinton years were turning the economy around. Unfortunately with so many people out of work right now there isn't a reason to pay people more. I always enjoyed caddying a lot more anyway so it wasn't too hard to walk away from. That is a really really tough job. We were soliciting for an anti-drunk driving campaign (note that the NYFOP obviously led to the end of DWI's in NY/NJ). The abuse you took as people wished death on all drinkers was pretty awful. I remember leaving bummed every night. I sold vacuum's door to door briefly and that was still a better job than telemarketing.

I'm curious what the pay is for this type of job? anybody care to share their pay experience with this?

I was told at my interview (I don't actually start until wednesday) that you start at $7.25 but depending on how good your sales are you can make up to $9+.

Yeesh, around here they start at over $9. Most of the kids I knew in high school were making $10+. Shit, even McDonalds starts at $8.

I wish I made $9/hr. Hopefully I won't be at my current job much longer since I graduate in December. I'm thankful I have a job, even though I despise mine. So many of my friends can't find any sort of job, even with a college degree around here.

What's minimum wage these days? From reading the first batch of posts I was under the impression this would be $15 or so an hour, but I was clearly wrong.

I would never, EVER do that for less than $10. Shit, I don't know at what point I would actually agree to that job. Sounds fucking terrible.

I've only worked in FL and PA so I can only speak for those and it's $7.25 in both. Like I said I'm really only doing it as a last resort. I plan on dropping it as soon as I can get something better.