PO: Against Me! Total Clarity up at FAT

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this today like many of you, I would imagine. The orange swirl disc one is really beautiful (black, blue, red, orange, yellow), one of the nicest fat releases in recent memory, right up there with the decline yellow press. The gatefold package is really nice too. I am all in favor of Fat starting to charge more for these, especially if it means they are able to start stepping up with the vinyl color quality, art and packaging quality, and record weight. I understand they have wanted to go for the "punk" thing and have had generally inexpensive, cheap looking records in the past. With the advent of mp3s and all, those of us who still spend good money on physical media/vinyl aren't buying music just for the music, but for the experience and aesthetic of the packaging and vinyl. This holds especially true for music that was just digitally recorded anyways. It is cool that they still offer a less expensive black version too, which at $14 for a double lp gatefold is pretty awesome

tl;dr: I'm drunk and rambling, 1st disc is really nice orange swirl, i'm cool with the new prices if Fat is stepping up the quality too

Got this today like many of you, I would imagine. The orange swirl disc one is really beautiful (black, blue, red, orange, yellow), one of the nicest fat releases in recent memory, right up there with the decline yellow press. The gatefold package is really nice too. I am all in favor of Fat starting to charge more for these, especially if it means they are able to start stepping up with the vinyl color quality, art and packaging quality, and record weight. I understand they have wanted to go for the "punk" thing and have had generally inexpensive, cheap looking records in the past. With the advent of mp3s and all, those of us who still spend good money on physical media/vinyl aren't buying music just for the music, but for the experience and aesthetic of the packaging and vinyl. This holds especially true for music that was just digitally recorded anyways. It is cool that they still offer a less expensive black version too, which at $14 for a double lp gatefold is pretty awesome

tl;dr: I'm drunk and rambling, 1st disc is really nice orange swirl, i'm cool with the new prices if Fat is stepping up the quality too

I like how you didn't seem drunk until you declared that you were drunk :)

Do you know how many variations there are? mine's different, transparent orange with black streaks and opaque white with black swirl. as sick as it is i was hoping for that opaque orange it looks awesome!

I would imagine yours is just a transitional copy, and not another variation. If it is you can flip it for mad cash, but I'd hope you're better than that.

Got mine today and spun it immediately. Couple of my personal notes:

1.) No noticeable audio problems, though my needle was walking back and forth pretty hard. They might be out of round. Sounded okay on my MK2.

2.) Fat doesn't do download cards? Why didn't I know that. Now I have to download these anyway even though I avoided doing so when the demos leaked.

3.) Am I alone in feeling like these versions didn't really necessitate a release like this? Very few of these songs were different enough to compel me to reach for this copy instead of the real record. I find I generally feel that way about demo versions and "alternate" versions, so I'm not really surprised they struck me as not significant.

my white lp is a touch warped. the orange one sounded pretty good to me.

i like these versions better personally. more raw and not as 'rock' as the j robbins stuff.

If it were up to me, the world would have no rock but J Robbins rock. Dude played in one of my favorite bands of all time and recorder no fewer than 3 of my top 25 records of all time. He's kind of my hero, so it's no surprise that I love the LP versions of these tracks (or that it's my favorite Against Me record).

Speaking of the white LP, mine seems super thin. I was worried it would crack when I pulled it off the spindle.

Got mine yesterday. It sounds a bit odd, though I'm thinking it's my turntable, not the record.

i just started listening to mine..but mine has a bunch of wow and flutter

anyone else have that?

My A/B (orange) is a little warped. If by wow you mean like the guitars kinda sound out of tune (almost a whammy bar sound), then yes, it sounded like that.

Speaking of the white LP, mine seems super thin. I was worried it would crack when I pulled it off the spindle.

I feel you on that. One of the first things I thought when I pulled it out of it's sleeve was it seemed kind of thin.

i just started listening to mine..but mine has a bunch of wow and flutter

anyone else have that?

My A/B (orange) is a little warped. If by wow you mean like the guitars kinda sound out of tune (almost a whammy bar sound), then yes, it sounded like that.

yes..pitch variation... like a whammy bar effect. i have it on my orange side