parting from a zillion variants

Did anyone ever get rid of their variant/multiple pressings/remixes collections. Just narrow it down to one copy of each release?

For instance, you like musician X and have built a rather large collection of every variant of X's releases. But you found yourself collecting just to be complete and it wouldn't even matter if you were blind.

You felt silly for having 90 records in the closet, copies of records already on your record shelf in different colors. You realized this and after a painstaking process of elimination, you narrowed your collection down to just your favorite variant and sold the rest.

Do you regret it? Would you do it again?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a complete Rocky Votolato collection. Sold it off piece by piece until I just had one of everything. It was stupid to look at my shelves and see so many of one album.

So glad I did it - it also made me want to sell variants of everything. Realizing that one album was enough was a lot of fun.

This weekend I had it happen for me. Lost a shit ton of records when my basement (which I lived in flooded). Most of my Gaslight collection is donezo. And the ultimate in variant excess, about 12 copies of RAR.

i feel for you, but it could be a blessing in disguise saving you thousands in the long run.

I have a Screeching Weasel collection, complete. Plus, SW member's other bands, mostly complete. A few months ago, I decided to take all of my variants, remixes, re-releases and put them in my closet, only having one copy of each record on my shelf.

I counted about 80 variants in my closet which made me feel sick and stupid. But I can't decide what to keep and I keep on buying new variants.

This weekend I had it happen for me. Lost a shit ton of records when my basement (which I lived in flooded). Most of my Gaslight collection is donezo. And the ultimate in variant excess, about 12 copies of RAR.

i feel for you, but it could be a blessing in disguise saving you thousands in the long run.

Actually yeah. It was kind of a tipping point. I'd been thinking of stopping for some time and this was definitely the last straw. I actually passed up buying multiple variants of Damnesia and the Dan Andriano record already so I was headed in the right direction. The best thing that happened was 59 sound on green was in a thick ass plastic jacket and was unharmed.

i only collect variants in what album i enjoy and i can.

but most of albums i like and very like are far away from collect variants.

so i only buy some them which i can.

well, living too far from big country such the states and europe is a big thing. i don't have any idea how much thai people will pay me if i want to sell some of my stuffs....

I actually pulled out a bunch of variants that I haven't sold yet. In some sense I would like to just get down to one copy of records, but there are some collections I just can't part with (Alkaine Trio, Look Mexico, Kozelek, and my Tiny Engines Collection).

It is unreal to see how many records I had that were just duplicates.

I am still trying to decide what to do about different artwork. I really love the artwork, and so I am probably going to keep variant art (and foreign pressings). Is that crazy?

Also, what would you do with something like Alkaline Trio's Goddamnit? It's technically the same album, but its been remastered? Do you keep both? Pick your favorite?

I plan to break up my SW/Riverdales/Ben Weasel collections very soon.

The thing stopping me is the These Ones Are Bitter. I love every variant. I also like the FWM variants..

When Invasion USA came out, I laughed at people here for getting multiple colors. Mine came in red, bought locally. I really wanted blue. I ordered the blue, then gave my red to a friend.

Then I thought, I want all. And so be it.

I listen to all my variants regularly. But I know in my heart that I like a record more if I only have 1 copy. It means more. Multiple copies cheapen the intimacy.

If I were to break up my SW collection, I would keep the following:

(only listing record if variants exist)

UK s/t

Roadkill Boogada and maybe the blue Recess

Limited Potential Punkhouse

LK MBH

LK Wiggle (second mix)

Happy Horny

black Radio Blast

White Ramones w/normal jacket.

photo Suzanne

Formula 27 with pink and blue label

Yellow TVCD reissue

yellow mania

Blue these ones are Bitter (no, I will keep all 4 edmund versions)

Red Brain that Wouldn't Die

Red/Black FWM

Atleast keep your SW collection. Was not winning that 7" that went for $1300 the deciding factor?

Not really. It's just not fun any more collecting tests, etc... I've been fortunate and have gotten most of it for fair prices, but I cringed at the thought that I almost paid more than $1,000 for one 7" (I'm kind of glad I lost). I didn't even bid on the Punkhouse one that was just on ebay, and that went for only $66.

I only have multiple variants of 1 album (Bad Astronaut - Acrophobe) because it really is favorite album. I'll buy "bundles" if they come with mystery colors, keep the coolest (not most limited) and sell the rest.

It's cool if you really love the band, but overall it's kind of creepy lol.

As far as test pressings, I've only paid for 1 (a Lemuria 7" I didn't own a copy of already for $20. Couldn't pass the offer up). The rest I have were either won in giveaways or given to me for free from rad labels/bands :D

I used to collect variants but I sold them off and switched to a 1-of-each with the exception being Clash records. I had fun collecting variants but I just couldn't afford to keep doing it when I could be buying records that I didn't have copies of yet. I definitely do not regret making the change.

I have only bought every pressing of one bands records. Pg.99. Started back in the late 90's and had them all except for a few test presses Andy Low wouldn't get rid of. There was nowhere else to go. I held on to them but ended up deciding to just keep one of each when my girlfriend and I moved in. I had fun tracking them all down but I don't miss them. I listen to what I have on a regular basis and that's good for me.

I will buy multiples of favorite records. Ie Floor. I have a few different versions and if I found used would buy others. Not sure why, just like having multiples of a record I listen to so much. I dont actively hunt variants down though.

i've never been a variant collector.

i mean i've been known to buy a more limited variant instead of the "regular" colour, in the past, but never multiple copies of a release. that's always seemed silly to me.

the only album i have bought more than one copy of was broken circles pressing of Start Here, because it is one of my favorite albums ever, and all i picked up were the black / 100 and the gold / 35.

i couldn't resist on the /35 and it wasn't made available until after i purchased my black copy.

Actually yeah. It was kind of a tipping point. I'd been thinking of stopping for some time and this was definitely the last straw. I actually passed up buying multiple variants of Damnesia and the Dan Andriano record already so I was headed in the right direction. The best thing that happened was 59 sound on green was in a thick ass plastic jacket and was unharmed.

you getting anything from insurance?

my basement flooded and i got some good money back for the records that were damaged