Pressings to avoid

Ever buy a record, think it doesn't sound right, buy an older pressing and feel ripped off?

Here's a thread to help people save money on future purchases by avoiding records that were meant to be CDs.

Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction on Rhino (red vinyl).

Version to find: white vinyl, sounds rich.

Green Day - Dookie 180 gram black. It sounds lifeless.

Version to find: The only other version I've heard was the German green pressing. Difference is night and day.

Rhino Ramones reissues.

Screeching Weasel - Wiggle (Recess). I don't know if it was mastered for CD or if there are just too many tracks on each side. The CD sounds way better.

Version to find: Lookout second pressing with LK 63-Re1 on the matrix.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit different vein, but:

Any of the LH Ryan Adams 10th anniversary clear vinyl releases

The US press of Amy Winehouse Back To Black (pay for the UK)

The US Capital press of Coldplay's Rush of Blood to the Head (pay for the UK)

The US press of U2 The Joshua Tree (tons of surface noise)

Iron and Wine Endless Summer Days (surface noise)

I could go on but...

Ever buy a record, think it doesn't sound right, buy an older pressing and feel ripped off?

Here's a thread to help people save money on future purchases by avoiding records that were meant to be CDs....

Rhino Ramones reissues.

Are you talking about the recent 180 gram Ramones pressings that just came out, or the $10 ones from a few years back that were sourced from cd? I just ordered all 4 new ones yesterday and will be bummed they don't sound good, as they were marketed as being pressed and mastered straight from the tapes. If these new ones are the ones you are referring to, could you elaborate on the issues with them?

The US Capital press of Coldplay's Rush of Blood to the Head (pay for the UK)

I've got the Parlophone press fortunately, but what's wrong with the US version?

The Go-Go's "Beauty and the Beat" 30th anniversary reissue on pink vinyl. This thing sounds awful. The highs are all blown out and clearly it was mastered from a CD that was mastered too hot with blown out highs and clipping all over the place.

BTW great thread idea!

As for the Albini/regular mixes of In Utero, playing "heart shaped box" back to back between the two you can clearly hear the difference. The rest of the album has a different, rawer sound with great drums and a thick sound. Less polished but a bit more punch. It's cool to have both actually.

Are you talking about the recent 180 gram Ramones pressings that just came out, or the $10 ones from a few years back that were sourced from cd? I just ordered all 4 new ones yesterday and will be bummed they don't sound good, as they were marketed as being pressed and mastered straight from the tapes. If these new ones are the ones you are referring to, could you elaborate on the issues with them?

I have End of the Century on the 180 gram repress and the only thing that sounds bad to me is Phil Spector's production.

The Mr. Bungle pressings by Plain Recordings. The two albums i have (Mr. Bungle and California) are so quiet, i have to turn up the volume to twice what i have to for most other records.

The Mr. Bungle pressings by Plain Recordings. The two albums i have (Mr. Bungle and California) are so quiet, i have to turn up the volume to twice what i have to for most other records.
Yeah, I totally agree with this. I'll even say that the majority of those Plain Recordings releases just plain suck. I've got some of the Primus and Ween ones and they are just so flat and quiet. No dynamics at all. The only one that I thought sounded good (even with all the surface noise that's present on pretty much all of these pressings) was Spiritualized Ladies and Gentlemen...

I'll add that things pressed at RTI are usually pretty sucky. The mixes seem fine for the most part, but the actual physical pressings seem to be the worse. I don't know if I've heard one RTI press that's not riddled with surface noise, pops, skips and sometimes music even distorting out. Of course, these are always the most expensive records.

I'm going to have to agree with this as well. So quiet it's almost annoying. Also i was always thought that "Mr. Bungle" & "Disco Volante" deserved a 2xlp treament.

I forgot California came out, I picked up Disco and S/T a while back. I need to get that still, even with this info I still need to own this on vinyl.

The Go-Go's "Beauty and the Beat" 30th anniversary reissue on pink vinyl. This thing sounds awful. The highs are all blown out and clearly it was mastered from a CD that was mastered too hot with blown out highs and clipping all over the place.

BTW great thread idea!

As for the Albini/regular mixes of In Utero, playing "heart shaped box" back to back between the two you can clearly hear the difference. The rest of the album has a different, rawer sound with great drums and a thick sound. Less polished but a bit more punch. It's cool to have both actually.

I have a OG First Press of In Utero and The Albini mix and i can say that listening to the Albini mix after so many years of hearing the regular version was so different it felt like i was listening to it for the first time again.

Mastodon - "Leviathan" the second-most recent press (not purple)

Very quiet, too expensive, would buy if it was repressed as they did it in the Mastodon box set (spread across two records with a few covers on the fourth side - and in the same order as the CD)

Turbo Fruits - "Echo Kid"

Bought this from the band on tour, and had a handful of seemingly minor scratches that make it skip like crazy. I have to fuck with the anti-skate on my turntable like crazy so I can make it through the album, and even then the last song still skips. The anti-skate also doesn't help the massive amount of surface noise there is from start to finish. This was my first Fat Possum record, and I'm not about to buy any other vinyl from them if this is how they have it pressed.