Record Player Drawbacks

Can someone explain the drawbacks of owning something like this?

[image]

I've seen negative remarks towards turntables like these numerous amounts of times on this board and although I don't own something like this myself, I would like to know why it's good to stay away from these.

The drawbacks are that it's a cheap, poorly made piece of shit that will sound like garbage. The advantage is that it looks "vintage", which gives some people a boner. All the components in it are the absolute bottom-of-the-line, and the built in speakers will transmit vibrations to the tonearm, which creates distortion during vinyl playback.

I'm actually waiting for my new needle to arrive for my ION turntable. In the mean time I was playing some records on my old crosley (similar to pic) and the sound is really horrible. Mostly because the turning mechanism is broke and spins the record at an uneven speed. This is what happens to a lot of crosleys after a while.

I've also seen people that hook up amplifiers. Is all that really necessary? In terms of price range, how much would it be to invest in a quality turntable listening station? Anyone have any sites they can recommend that sell good equipment?

You mean vs. just hooking up speakers to a turntable? Yes, it's very necessary. A turntable's output is not at line-level (the standard level that all other audio equipment [CD players, tape decks, video games etc.] outputs at), so you need a pre-amp to amplify the signal to a usable level. You can get a standalone model, or if you get an older or decent newer receiver it will have an RCA input marked "phono" that has a built in pre-amp.

Basically, this is what you need:

Turntable (used is the way to go if you have less than a few hundred dollars to spend - new turntables under $300 are generally worse than older used models)

Preamp (standalone or built into the receiver)

Receiver (the big ole box you run components into and speakers out of)

Speakers

Plan on either spending a few hundred dollars or getting lucky with estate sales & craigslist. Do some research around the Internet on building a budget Hifi system before buying anything, you'll be glad you did.

There really needs to be a stickied "I just bought my first Blink 182 vinyl and now I want to play them on something" thread.

I used to use a portable Crossley table a few years back. It sounds pretty terrible. It now sits on a dresser near my bedroom bathroom and is only sometimes used when I shower.

There's records that I would play on it that would only get as loud as a cell phone speaker, after stepping my game up I realized those records sound amazing and it was that gnarly table that made them sound bad.

I've also seen people that hook up amplifiers. Is all that really necessary? In terms of price range, how much would it be to invest in a quality turntable listening station? Anyone have any sites they can recommend that sell good equipment?

You mean vs. just hooking up speakers to a turntable? Yes, it's very necessary. A turntable's output is not at line-level (the standard level that all other audio equipment [CD players, tape decks, video games etc.] outputs at), so you need a pre-amp to amplify the signal to a usable level. You can get a standalone model, or if you get an older or decent newer receiver it will have an RCA input marked "phono" that has a built in pre-amp.

Basically, this is what you need:

Turntable (used is the way to go if you have less than a few hundred dollars to spend - new turntables under $300 are generally worse than older used models)

Preamp (standalone or built into the receiver)

Receiver (the big ole box you run components into and speakers out of)

Speakers

Plan on either spending a few hundred dollars or getting lucky with estate sales & craigslist. Do some research around the Internet on building a budget Hifi system before buying anything, you'll be glad you did.

There really needs to be a stickied "I just bought my first Blink 182 vinyl and now I want to play them on something" thread.

make sure you pay attention to this answer, original poster. he's got everything you need. and what he said about the pre-amp is completely true and completely necessary in most cases.

You totally don't need to spend "a few hundred dollars" though

be thrifty and patient, I've currently got a turntable I picked up off of craig's list for $20, it's better than my $130 ION, and A LOT better than my brother-in-law's $100 Crosley.

It has a built-in preamp, so no extra money spent there, I just plug it into my surround system that I use for the TV. Granted, my surround is pretty nice, but before I had a nice surround I again used craig's list to put together a very decent stereo set up (receiver, those old stand up cabinet style speakers) for about $50 that sounded awesome.

as mentioned, new is NOT the way to go if you are on a budget, new turntables and stereo equipment is usually more expensive and lower quality than used equipment for the same price.