Occupy Wall Street

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's because I work in NYC but I can't get away from it.

I think what's killing them is a lack of a concise message or appointed leadership. At the same time the flood of Unions joining them for the march next Wednesday should up the Ante.

Further, there is a lot of misinformation and Bloomberg has done little to dispel myths about the cause. His quotes today about how the protests are attacking bankers making 50k a year and scraping by was total bull.

I would imagine that any widespread media attention given to these protestors would only serve to polarize opinion across the country (and in some more extreme cases, inspire people to replicate such protests in their own areas due to economic reform's hot button status in the last few years) and with the protests happening square within the country's main financial vein, those opinions (on both sides) would be particularly fierce. Squashing the protests by depriving them of media coverage is one way in which the major networks (largely tied to the day to day proceedings on Wall Street) are most likely assuming they can help extinguish the whole thing.

I think Nic pretty much hit the nail on the head. 'Mainstream' media needs that adverti$ing money to keep the lights on, and those advertisers tend to be publicly traded companies in need of shareholders.

In this case I think the lack of coverage has been a boon to the folks on the ground, as it's allowed them to work a truly grassroots network that's now starting to bear fruit. As far as the claim of a lack of 'leadership' or 'message', I see that as an advantage too. Calling themselves the "99%" is the only real message they need. When you're the majority, you don't need leaders.

Lest you forget, the Tea Party started out as a bunch of folks angry at the bail outs. Self-appointed leaders are what turned it into the ugly motherfucker it is now.

I'm frankly happy that it's not getting a lot of attention. I think the overwhelming majority of the protestors are uninformed nitwits who couldn't actually have an intelligent discussion about what they're actually protesting and how it should be remedied.

These mongos remind me of a conversation I overheard my Freshman year in college:

Dirty Hippy #1: Hey man, what are you doing this weekend?

Dirty Hippy #2: I'm heading down to DC to protest the WTO.

Dirty Hippy #1: Awesome . . . What's the WTO?

Dirty Hippy#2: Um . . . I'm not really sure but it's wicked bad.

A similar gathering is apparently happening here in Norfolk too.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/295663580449721/

I have been hearing a lot about this local gathering, and of course the one in NYC. This article was published on a local website:

http://www.altdaily.com/blogs/news-blogs....n -nov-8th.html

Needless to say it pissed a lot of people off, but there are a lot of good points mentioned in this article.

Theres been pretty decent by the local media outlets here in NYC. Local stations reach 10+ million people so even those that don't usually go to Manhattan (me) are aware of it. For me this came out of nowhere but would be more effective under one united protest supported by various organizations. This is important because theres always people who are there to Free Palestine, Free Tibet, and support marijuana legalization and they always feel that they're the most important issue. Whats different about this is that there are a number of people who don't normally protest are there.

Further, there is a lot of misinformation and Bloomberg has done little to dispel myths about the cause. His quotes today about how the protests are attacking bankers making 50k a year and scraping by was total bull.

Totally agree. Most people who work around there are making WAY more than $50k a year. I'm sure they were insulted.

A similar gathering is apparently happening here in Norfolk too.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/295663580449721/

I have been hearing a lot about this local gathering, and of course the one in NYC. This article was published on a local website:

http://www.altdaily.com/blogs/news-blogs....n -nov-8th.html

Needless to say it pissed a lot of people off, but there are a lot of good points mentioned in this article.

This article implies that just because you vote for someone based on their pre-election platform that they will follow through on their promises. I will wager that nearly 100% of folks protesting on Wall Street voted for Obama and that many expected the new administration to hold people accountable for the financial meltdown and the illegal activities that surrounded it. Yet here we are nearly three years in with nary a report to any effect.

Both parties are corrupt and beholden to the same special interests. They'll argue about the occasional social issue like Health Care but more or less they'll move their piles of paper from one side of the desk to the other without really challenging the issues that will provide meaningful progress for the vast majority of the Nation's citizens.

yeah man. im stoked on it. the fact that media isn't picking this up is kind of affirmation that the world has to play by the corperate rules. as far as im concerned as long as lobbying exists democracy cannot work. It's been proven over and over. The fact that we are all paying for these bailouts so these ceos can collect their multimillion dollar "performance based" bonuses, when the only performances these dudes made was collapsing their companies with irresponsible spending and acounting is a perfect example. I mean it just seems like companies are getting greedier. some of the biggest comapnies literally paid no taxes this year because of loopholes in the system even after we footed the bill for this whole housing debacle. the political process stopped serving the people altogether. there is virtually no major industry left in this country. and we are paying for wars and simultaneously talking about how we have no money to support our own people here at home. i'm also not siked about the fact that i've been paying for years for "social security" that i will never see. the system is obviously broke, and i don't necessarily think the people need to converge on key points. i feel like the govt is just not afraid of the people anymore, which is not how this country works. "we the people" are supposed to be in charge. so as long as there is a big enough uprising to remind them that "We the people" are not going to be satisfied with this kind of nonsense it might help get their attention. plus you do not have to be a student of politics to be pissed off and mean it. theres a great line in the declaration of independence...

"When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

the way things are going now, we basically have an oligarchy, which is a form of despotism. if the govt. wont start to listen to and serve the people, without the influence of corporate lobbying and big business... it's technically our "duty" as americans to tear it down and make a new one that represents a brighter future.

also, most of these people did probably vote for obama, and they were probably hoping he would pan out. of course those people are even more pissed now... i mean isn't that kind of the point of all this?

this is relevant:

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/corporate/Home/article/ny-13.htm?TB_iframe=true&height=485&width=712

"JPMorgan Chase recently donated an unprecedented $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation. The gift was the largest in the history of the foundation and will enable the New York City Police Department to strengthen security in the Big Apple. The money will pay for 1,000 new patrol car laptops, as well as security monitoring software in the NYPD's main data center."

Stopped at the news stand to read about the Wall Street Protests. The entire cover of El Diario was dedicated to it. Nothing on the cover of the Post, Daily News or Times. Star Ledger had a small piece at the fold.

I know Eli Manning led a huge 4th Quarter comeback and that the Jets stunk it up for the 2nd straight week but there is something unsettling about our NY Papers offering so little on a local story.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was worked into media in other ways at some point later down the line such as shows like 30 Rock where characters like Jack Donaghy (a satirical representation of every capitalist fat cat) make passing swipes at Wall Street being congested due to 'those pesky serfs with their hand painted signs and their liberal arts degrees rolled up and clutched within their sweaty fingers'. Or something.

I know Eli Manning led a huge 4th Quarter comeback and that the Jets stunk it up for the 2nd straight week but there is something unsettling about our NY Papers offering so little on a local story.

But what did they do that was newsworthy on Sunday, for the Monday editions? I'm sure the arrests/bridge shutdown on Saturday made the Sunday papers. But news (and newsies) sell papes. You can't keep trotting out "Occupy Wall Street group still hanging out in park" articles every day.