Smashing Pumpkins

okay... to those of you who have the aeroplane vinyl set. what does it include? just the records in cardboard sleeves? are they deluxe sleeves with spines? is there a book? insert?

5x12" on spined single  holofoil sleeves. The record comes in a polylined inner, but there is a printed inner sleeve as well made of heavy stock. 

unfortunately, there is nothing with the original artwork on any of the sleeves.

5x12" on spined single  holofoil sleeves. The record comes in a polylined inner, but there is a printed inner sleeve as well made of heavy stock. 

unfortunately, there is nothing with the original artwork on any of the sleeves.

While I really like the music from this set, it is rediculously over priced. No orginal art, no book, and the records were pressed at United.

That's more what I'm aiming for. 61 isn't too bad. I may have to snag that soon. Can you link me to that? I can't seem to find it.

http://www.amazon.com/Mellon-Infinite-Sadness-Smashing-Pumpkins/dp/B008Z9L94O/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mellon-collie-and-the-infinite-lp-box-vinyl/20769012.p?id=2619658&skuId=20769012

best buys price isnt too bad if you have some rewards or discounts 

URP has the worst quality control for a pressing plant not named Rainbo. They do a better job with the TMR stuff because Jack White is their biggest client. 

100s of records from URP in my collection and have had one item with a flaw.  Think they are about on average with any other plant with thier occasional flaws, they just produce more records than anyone else in America so when you make more you will have more minor flaws. On a percentage though they are even or lower than any other plant.

Also don't know if Jack is their biggest customer, but being a partial owner does afford him some priveledges at the plant.

In general, URP has a bad reputation for a reason. Their QC and materials (lots of recycled vinyl) used to be very poor, and if a record had the circled U, it was most likely going to have egregious surface noise or be cut off center. Over the last couple of years they have made an effort to clean things up and it has shown. The third man pressings are nice, and I have other records pressed at URP that have no problems and sound nice, but they still have a much higher problem rate than other, albeit, more expensive plants.

For this release specifically, The only reason I bring it up, is cost related. URP is less expensive than Pallas, RTI, Record Industry, QRP, and other top quality plants, yet this release, without the book and only 1 more LP (EP really), listed for more than $50 more than the 4LP Mellon Collie box (with book) that was pressed at Pallas. It's not URPs fault, but people (labels/bands) have been releasing records pressed at URP with prices like they were pressed at the high end plants. I think it's worth pointing out what a business is doing so people can choose whether or not they care to support that business. Again, in this thread specifically, it was more a dig at BC/SP/Virgin for using a cheaper plant, yet charging a huge amount.

If you do the smart thing and don't let united (or any plant) master/cut your release with their in-house system then it really doesn't matter where you press them at as pouring pellets and melting them into records is pretty much the same at every plant out there.

Most problems you'd have would be due to poor cutting/mastering/plating and should have been caught in the test pressing stage.