Smashing Pumpkins

what is this?! I'm intrigued

Don't want to (or can't) spill too many details juuuust yet but it's something that most everyone in this thread will be very interested in. I own the original master tape. But not the associated rights, of course. So I'm going to try to license this and press it. I'm hoping that I will have something very real to announce soon. And when I do, you will hear it here first. Pinky promise.

2014. Get stoked.

As someone who was driven crazy by the MCIS issues, I can happily report that none of the audio defects are present on the Aeroplane box. It truly sounds incredible. 

Good to hear.  MCIS isn't a total waste.  For me, it's really only the last songs on disc 1 that have a huge problem, Zero and To Forgive.  To Forgive actually being the most noticeable, probably since it's a quieter song overall.  The IGD stands out big time on Billy's vocals.  I'm going to be in the market for a new cart around the holidays so I'm really hoping that maybe a cart upgrade will help a little, even if it doesn't make the distortion go away completely.

I really do have to get this boxset, so many great songs on it.  I just have a hard time dropping so much dough all at once.  When your blow money is limited, like mine is, I'd have to go without any new media for over a month to have enough saved up to get this.  I have really bad self-control, that's why I'm hoping to get mass gift cards for amazon around Christmas.  :)

I'm really tempted to try one of these "used" sets from Amazon. I bought a Thrice box from them for $30 and it came practically new.

http://tinyurl.com/aeroplanesp

For my money, I'd much rather get a new one that's not listed as having any cosmetic flaws, as minor as they may be, from amazon.ca for 8 USD less.  But that's just me.

http://www.amazon.ca/Aeroplane-Flies-High-Vinyl-Box/dp/B00D5YNQ5E/

I'm really tempted to try one of these "used" sets from Amazon. I bought a Thrice box from them for $30 and it came practically new.

http://tinyurl.com/aeroplanesp

For about $10 more you can get a brand new one from Amazon.Ca. I paid an extra buck for expedited shipping and got it in two days.

Don't want to (or can't) spill too many details juuuust yet but it's something that most everyone in this thread will be very interested in. I own the original master tape. But not the associated rights, of course. So I'm going to try to license this and press it. I'm hoping that I will have something very real to announce soon. And when I do, you will hear it here first. Pinky promise.

2014. Get stoked.

Well if for some reason you are unable to license it, will you at least let us know what that tape contains?  

Well if for some reason you are unable to license it, will you at least let us know what that tape contains?

It will be a mystery FOREVER

Nah, I kid.

In that case, yes. I will spill all the beans, and some rice too.

I really hope this works out, as it's something that I know a lot of people are going to love. This branches out to more than just Pumpkins fans.

It will be a mystery FOREVER

Nah, I kid.

In that case, yes. I will spill all the beans, and some rice too.

I really hope this works out, as it's something that I know a lot of people are going to love. This branches out to more than just Pumpkins fans.

Cool! I like beans and rice. I really look forward to hearing about whatever it is you have there. 

Update 1:

Took the tape into a studio today to check it out and test it, make sure it hasn't been degaussed at some point over the years, and make sure it's not sticky, as 90's ampex is notoriously bad and often needs treatment. (it's 1/2" tape, which was very much in vogue during the 90's, and a 1/2" tape deck I have not, so a trip to another studio was necessary for the inspection)

Miraculously, all is good. The ampex curse is not strong with this one. Everything checks out. When the time comes for cutting the lacquers, this master is ready to go. Next step: the actual licensing. Exciting times indeed.

Update 1:

Took the tape into a studio today to check it out and test it, make sure it hasn't been degaussed at some point over the years, and make sure it's not sticky, as 90's ampex is notoriously bad and often needs treatment. (it's 1/2" tape, which was very much in vogue during the 90's, and a 1/2" tape deck I have not, so a trip to another studio was necessary for the inspection)

Miraculously, all is good. The ampex curse is not strong with this one. Everything checks out. When the time comes for cutting the lacquers, this master is ready to go. Next step: the actual licensing. Exciting times indeed.

Yeah, I'm extremely curious to what you have there.  Hope you get it licensed and press whatever it is.  But I can't wait to find out what it is.

I know what this is although I'm curious to see exactly what you do with it. Good luck!

So much thanks to everyone! Really means a lot, it's nice having a bit of support in this endeavor.

But especially thanks to chiefwahoo for being tightlipped ;) hahah.

I've been on a quest for the past few years, picking up master tapes left and right trying to find something that's licensable and that there may actually be a market for... Too many reissues being cut from digital these days and not enough labels willing to send out their precious tapes. So it's down to what I manage to get leads on and privately purchase. Things obviously haven't worked out quite yet but I think I really hit a home run with this one, it nicely intersects the criteria for something that I can actually work with. Lots of stuff that can't be licensed anymore, labels go defunct, or some things there's just not a real market for... Gets frustrating at times.

If this works out it would be a dream come true, finally being able to put something out. (Which will sound AWESOME btw if today's session is any indication.) I would absolutely love to give more details, I just need to stress the importance of maintaining a good standing with everyone involved, and I also don't want to disappoint any of you by prematurely announcing something that's in the works and may not happen.

I really appreciate all the support and your understanding of the situation at hand of how these things can be for all the parties involved, and I promise as soon as I can actually openly give details, I will. Trust me, I want to! :)

i read the Billy and SP wiki's last night.  i have a couple ideas on what this might be.

i just think it's very far fetched to think that you'll get to licence whatever it is.  maybe for the better, but your sneak peak makes me think it is only a couple songs, so a 7"?  it's not like 7 inches blow off the shelf so that might make a licence easier.

in the end, best of luck.  i very much love all things billy and will be first in line if you ever get to make this project happen.

• 2 weeks later...

R-4779065-1375254191-9430.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-One-Nine-Seven-Nine/release/4779065

I picked this up today. I know that on a whole, bootlegs are generally frowned upon, and I get that, but my god, this thing brings me back. I'm halfway through the first side, and this can almost pinpoint when I first fell in love with music. None of these specific recordings, but the live stripped down versions of these songs, live for radio with an audience brings me back to listening to alternative radio when I was 12-14 years old. Looking forward to, and staying up for the late night shows with bands playing live, recording them on tape to listen to over and over.

This release is imperfect, it's very much what you would expect from a radio session, but the live songs being recorded in March 1996, it really captures the band at the right time. And for it's imperfections, it's wonderful.

Me and my girlfriend saw Billy at Madam Zuzu's this past Saturday. He was doing a DJ set of a lot of classic rock, motown and other 45's. As he was leaving he said thanks for coming out to us and we asked for a picture. He obliged but it was awkward. Very awkward. He didn't speak much. We felt weird afterward. Also had some expensive tea and a really good brownie. I think it was vegan.

R-4779065-1375254191-9430.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-One-Nine-Seven-Nine/release/4779065

I picked this up today. I know that on a whole, bootlegs are generally frowned upon, and I get that, but my god, this thing brings me back. I'm halfway through the first side, and this can almost pinpoint when I first fell in love with music. None of these specific recordings, but the live stripped down versions of these songs, live for radio with an audience brings me back to listening to alternative radio when I was 12-14 years old. Looking forward to, and staying up for the late night shows with bands playing live, recording them on tape to listen to over and over.

This release is imperfect, it's very much what you would expect from a radio session, but the live songs being recorded in March 1996, it really captures the band at the right time. And for it's imperfections, it's wonderful.

ugh. the cover on that is atrocious. i don't get why people make bootlegs and can't even use an image from the correct time period.

Update 1:

Wow that is awesome

ugh. the cover on that is atrocious. i don't get why people make bootlegs and can't even use an image from the correct time period.

I know, I almost passed up on it because of it, but then checked out the track list. It's killer, I wish the quality were slightly better, but easily one of my favorite pick ups in a long time.