Smashing Pumpkins

I just ordered the vinyl off Amazon for $105.  It was being sold by Acoustic Sounds.  Strangely enough the Acoustic Sounds website has the vinyl set listed for $200 so no idea why/how it was on Amazon for $105 from them.  And it looks like I snagged the last copy.

read someone's order was canceled because AS priced it too low. did yours make it through?

timsimmons:  this is the first time I have ever signed up to a forum (of any kind).  I signed up because I really want a review of this TAFH box and how it sounds on vinyl.  Much like alot of the people on here that I've been reading, I refuse to pay this price and plan to wait for at least a little bit of a drop.  I paid nearly $100 for the MCIS box and I, like many, was a little disappointed in disc 1 with the inner groove distortion on Zero and also To Forgive on the other side.  I'm curious if you are noticing any of the same sound quality issues.  Last you posted you had made it through 1979.

I still have a side of 33 to play, but I can tell you I have not run into to any issues. All 5 discs are heavy and flat. They sounded great on both my Debut III and VPI. The box is heavy duty like MCIS (and surprisingly thinner). The sleeves are foil and glossy and the inner sleeves are a nice heavy stock. The records come in a regular white inner.

I think it's well worth the money because its always been a great release.

I still have a side of 33 to play, but I can tell you I have not run into to any issues. All 5 discs are heavy and flat. They sounded great on both my Debut III and VPI. The box is heavy duty like MCIS (and surprisingly thinner). The sleeves are foil and glossy and the inner sleeves are a nice heavy stock. The records come in a regular white inner.

I think it's well worth the money because its always been a great release.

Thanks man.  I'm very happy there are no sound issues.  I'm definitely going to get it, it's just a question of when.  I'm going to wait until I can find it for at least under $100.  I appreciate the feedback.

I listened to the entire digital set over the weekend.  I have to say... I'm a huge Pumpkins fan but a lot of those extra tracks aren't anything I can't live without.  I mean... damn... they have recorded everything short of Jimmy Chamberlain farting on a snare drum.  Don't get me wrong, I still very much would like the original 33 tracks on vinyl and do plan to get it eventually if it becomes available for a little cheaper.  I do know that I won't be buying the cd set because it's in no way worth 80 bucks to me.  It's always neat to hear demos of some of the MCIS songs to be able to hear what the songs sounded like before the finished product, but it's really just a one-time listening kind of thing to me.

I have really enjoyed the vinyl reissues of this stuff

The deluxe cd issues with all that extra bonus stuff is stretching it though. Pisces and Aeroplane where b sides collections as it is. But yet they add more to these editions.

I downloaded them for free and listened through once but overall the OG releases of these works for me and the bonus stuff does nothing for me

I have really enjoyed the vinyl reissues of this stuff

The deluxe cd issues with all that extra bonus stuff is stretching it though. Pisces and Aeroplane where b sides collections as it is. But yet they add more to these editions.

I downloaded them for free and listened through once but overall the OG releases of these works for me and the bonus stuff does nothing for me

gish, sd, and pisces were actually pretty good deals for the box sets, considering they contained unreleased material, and bonus dvds.

also pisces came with a reissue of their first demo tape, in cassette form, which is super rad IMO.

i didn't bother with any of the vinyl reissues with the exception of TAFH because i already have all SP on vinyl, so as a goofy fanboy i opted for all the box sets until MCIS came out.

the MCIS cd set had some amazing stuff in it, but WAYYYY to expensive in comparison to the first 3 boxes, so i never got around to it.

the TAFH box doesn't really seem worth it for the bonus stuff, because it doesn't contain any songs we haven't heard before. i was expecting full versions of pistachio medley and stuff in there, but nope. a few of those did wind up in the MCIS box tho.

the bullet disc has the gravity demos, which is kinda rad, but not exactly rare in the fan scene. we've all heard them already.

everything else is just live, and completely pointless IMO, even the dvd included isn't much to get excited about.

i did buy the tafh vinyl set today tho and god does it sound sweet.

totally glad to finally have these cuts on vinyl.

46C53C20-15EC-49FB-A7C5-BC296DA6EF28-285

me irl 2013 real yea

I also picked up TAFH set today. Its awesome.[/quo

^^^^^^^

Totally agree w the above two posters. An awesome experience hearing this shit for the first time on vinyl although I really, REALLY wish they would have included the original artwork. Does anyone one know why they opted to change it?

Can't wait for Machina II and will hope they get around to Zeitgeist.

I listened to the entire digital set over the weekend.  I have to say... I'm a huge Pumpkins fan but a lot of those extra tracks aren't anything I can't live without.  I mean... damn... they have recorded everything short of Jimmy Chamberlain farting on a snare drum.  Don't get me wrong, I still very much would like the original 33 tracks on vinyl and do plan to get it eventually if it becomes available for a little cheaper.  I do know that I won't be buying the cd set because it's in no way worth 80 bucks to me.  It's always neat to hear demos of some of the MCIS songs to be able to hear what the songs sounded like before the finished product, but it's really just a one-time listening kind of thing to me.

I agree, which is why I found somewhere to check out the digital only tracks and then ordered the vinyl.  Most of the bonus stuff on these sets is a one-time listen for me as well.  Although I really wish they'd release the live disc on vinyl.  To me that is the most worthwhile part of the bonus tracks.

• 2 months later...