Smashing Pumpkins

I was also surprised when the track first started.  Between the electronic drums and how loud the intro vocals were, I really didn't know what to think.  But as soon as the song came in, I was instantly happy.  I guess the way Corgan's vocals are now is just how he sings.  Gone are the days of those strained turned slight scream vocals where he was trying to hit the note but couldn't quite make it.  Now he's figured out some way to kind of make it to the note, but it's less emotional and, in turn, less pleasing.

Still, I think the song is great.  The falsetto vocals are an amazing touch and the backing vocals are some of the best that he's done in a long time.  The wall of guitars is back, even if it's different than the Siamese Dream wall.  Tommy Lee holds pretty strong with the exception of some weird snare roll that's buried in the mix.  The piano line that keeps popping up is great as well.  I have an even better hope for this record than I did for Oceania.

Whoa. A single LP? It'll be the shortest pumpkins LP since gish?

Sounds like the natural sequel do Oceania.

Unfortunately, he's unable to restore his vocals up to his greatest days, His voice's been sounding this way since Zwan. For recording's sake I'd choose a less proeminent vocal, somehow buried in the mix. Musically, I think it'll do good with fans who enjoyed Oceania. No big rush to actually own the album but will gladly give it a listen.

While everything up to Machina is held in highest regard (SP's original line-up might actually be my favorite band of all time), Billy's post Machina output minus Zwan, which is pure awesomeness, just didn't do anything for me. Seeing a disturbingly awful show last year didn't help either.

That being said, I was surprised to enjoy the new song as much as I did. But still I don't see any hope for me ever enjoying a new record of his nearly as much as the first five albums.