VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

The average life span of a WWF wrestler has to be about 50 years old.  The unnatural toll they put on their bodies looks strong on the outside, but has to wear them out on the inside, and be really hard on their heart.  Anyone who has taken a road trip knows being on the road itself is draining.  Both physically and mentally.  It's gotta be tough for anyone involved in traveling, be it truckers, rock stars, whoever.  Imagine that life-plus the conditions of working out at such extreme levels constantly.  Possible steriods, or other drugs or supliments may have been taken since a young age.  It's my guess his body living the life that it had, at his age, the sudden overwhelming amount of excitement/stress/anxiety of this last weekend probably just pushed his organs over the edge.

What a sad day.  I just watched Wrestlemania VI on Friday...  That was my pinnacle of wrestling.  Hogan & Warrior head to head winner takes all championships.  The two ultimate, greatest entertainers the industry has ever seen.  To my liking anyways.  What an adrenaline rush it was every time the Warrior came to the ring.  So intense.  So fun. 

And now he is going back home, to Parts Unknown.

What the actual fuck is going on?

His exact words from his speech last night makes this death all the more suspicious...."Every mans heart one day beats its final beat. His lungs breathe its final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the bodies of others; If it makes them believe deeper in something larger than life; than his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized."

Eerie. RIP Warrior.

It's weird how his and macho mans deaths were nearly identical. Both had just returned after being on outs with wwe. Both first returned to promote a video game. Macho with all stars and warrior with 2k14.

Only thing is warrior got further into a return with the hall of fame and apperances. Then both just suddenly passed due to massive heart attack

if you haven't watched daniel bryan's wrestlemania special on the network, i implore you to spend the next free hour you have with it. magnificent.

i simply can't get over the roller coaster of emotions that being a wrestling fan has put me through lately. it's been beyond wonderful, yet so shockingly tragic at the very same time.

i went hiking today, and part of me wanted to scream YES from the top- but i just could not bring myself to doing something so joyous with such a heavy heart.

There's something to be said for the introduction of steroids in the late 60's and early 70's, and also rampant drug use, with regard to how it shortened the lives of a lot of guys. A number of wrestlers who were in the business a long time and also lived a lot longer than 50:

Verne Gagne - 88
Lou Thez - 86

Killer Kowalski - 81
Larry "The Axe" Hennig - 80 
Bruno Samartino - 78

"Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers - 71
Harley Race - 70

There's something to be said for the introduction of steroids in the late 60's and early 70's, and also rampant drug use, with regard to how it shortened the lives of a lot of guys. A number of wrestlers who were in the business a long time and also lived a lot longer than 50:

Verne Gagne - 88

Lou Thez - 86

Killer Kowalski - 81

Larry "The Axe" Hennig - 80 

Bruno Samartino - 78

"Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers - 71

Harley Race - 70

I think you also gotta look at the style of matches that were had back in the 50s and 60s compared to the 80s and 90s. A slam would be someones finiser, the ddt hadnt been invented yet, and the headlock was 75% of a match. Not saying this accounts for a lot, but Benoit did have a brain of a 80 year old alzheimers man while Gagne probably never took a shot to his head in his life.

Yeah, it'll be interesting/sad to see how ECW/WWE Attitude-era guys age versus WWE PG-era guys based on the match types they built their careers on.

Ok - I'll be the one to dive into this. 

James Hellwig, who changed his name to Warrior, was a racist and homophobe who long ago destroyed any childhood nostalgia I held for him. He is completely unworthy of adoration. He celebrated the tragic deaths of others and failed to show a compassion for his fellow man. He was brutal after Davey Boy Smith died. He was brutal after Heath Ledger died. This is the a couple moments on a very long list.

He enjoyed this catch phrase: Queering Don't Make the World Work. He loved to taunt homosexual students during his campus visits and make fun of the handicaps of others.

I don't wish death upon others, never. I also get the separation of fantasy and reality. I take a different view here with Hellwig since he intentionally blurred the lines of his character with his real life and the views he espoused. 

I won't put him on a pedestal. I was pissed WWE decided to bring him back in the first place.