VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Anyone else really hyped for Survivor Series and Takeover? They've done a great job making the SmackDown! vs RAW rivalry feel huge even though the draft happened just a few months ago. I hope Team Blue wins big time (and especially the cruiserweight division, wouldn't make much sense to have the 205 Live show otherwise).

9 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

NXT Boston was incredible. Great matches across the board. I'm very excited for Takeover.

Match of the night was definitely Roderick Strong against Cedric Alexander. It was great from start to finish.

I feel like I saw that matchup at an ROH show a few years back. Both of them are pretty badass. Glad you liked the show!

I went to sleep before the main event and I'm glad that I did. What a dumb finish.

Most of the rest of the PPV was good though, aside from Corbin interrupting the cruiserweight matchup and then calling them "little pests" in a backstage interview following. I thought that was terrible booking.

That finish was fucking glorious, oh my god. I want to be mad but I just can't. They booked themselves into a corner with Invincible Brock so at this point, this was arguably one of the better solutions, as crazy as it sounds. It made for one hell of a moment and Brock can only benefit from this, now that he fucked up.

MOTN was the Men's Survivor Series Tag. It actually nearly went an hour but it never felt like it - it was incredibly well-paced and there were countless highlights, like Shane going fucking ballistic, Ellsworth dying for our chins and Orton being a goddamn machine. I'm so glad Wyatt got to look strong as hell too. 

15 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Did anyone actually give a shit about that match though? At least the finish was unexpected. 

Maybe not the board, but lots of people cared. 

I didn't care who won, but a squash match? It doesn't make sense. Lesnar beat Punk, Cena, ended the Undertaker's streak, Ambrose, murdered  Orton, etc in convincing fashion. They built up his persona as "The Beast" and Goldberg beats him in under a minute? Just doesn't make sense. 

IF this doesn't hurt Lesnar's reputation then ultimately it doesn't matter. But I don't know if it will yet.

4 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Maybe not the board, but lots of people cared. 

I didn't care who won, but a squash match? It doesn't make sense. Lesnar beat Punk, Cena, ended the Undertaker's streak, Ambrose, murdered  Orton, etc in convincing fashion. They built up his persona as "The Beast" and Goldberg beats him in under a minute? Just doesn't make sense. 

IF this doesn't hurt Lesnar's reputation then ultimately it doesn't matter. But I don't know if it will yet.

This guy on Reddit has a pretty good take on it: https://m.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/5e4dkw/survivor_series_spoilers_imagine_all_those_kids/

Plus learning that Goldberg wasn't one and done makes even more sense. Now the guy who destroyed Brock in minutes is in the Royal Rumble, builds up a lot of hype for the event.

It was vintage Goldberg but it wasn't believable.  Brock would destroy Goldberg at any given moment. I was hoping that it wasn't going to go down like that but it is what it is. Goldberg isn't going to get the title and will most likely just face Lesnar again at Wrestlemania.

Anyway can we talk about how good Raw was last night? At least for me it felt like they were going in the right direction. This may just be my opinion or maybe I've never noticed. Raw has been weak the last few weeks but last night they sort of got a revival in my eyes. The jobber matches are down - even though Strowman is still destroying his opponents he's starting to build a Feud with Sami Zayn.

There was a moment when Chris Jericho was leaving the building and the Limo Driver dropped "the list" in which the camera panned away and came back to Seth Rollins standing there - then Rollins gave him an old fashioned backstage beat down ending with a Pedigree onto the top of a car.

Another moment I enjoyed was the Sheamus and Cesaro Bar Fight. There are definitely parts that were cringeworthy (additional cameras with awkward footage of the crowd laughing) but like I said a step in the right direction. To give it more of an authentic feel if they are ever going to do a scene outside the ring they need to use just ONE camera. No one rolls to a bar with three fucking cameras. Just give it one, and shake it around a bit to make it feel more sporadic than premeditated because the acting was a bit awful (thanks extras).  Also does Cesaro not drink? He looked like a dumbass ordering a pint of Guinness and didn't drink - he just looked at the glass weird.  I can't remember if he actually took a sip or not but Sheamus went in.

Lastly - the Women's championship main event. All I can say is wow. Falls count anywhere, Kendo sticks. Submission in the crowd FTW. They are really pushing these women hard. (As you can tell I'm a huge fan of the hardcore matches). Bravo. 

I still don't give a shit about the Cruiserweights though. They need to incorporate them within the show rather then separating them otherwise they should just give them their own show and take em off Raw.  They need to keep the production the same - it's not a different show I'm watching so why switch the ropes to purple? They also need to interact with the other talent - until they do that I'm not going to be interested in them. 

Edited by mmfood

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 4:37 PM, TheWindBlower said:

A couple very fun episodes of 205 Live. I like that they're finally developing storylines for the guys.

True but the dead main show crowds are so depressing - as well as seeing more and more people leave the arena. At least Jack Gallagher and Rich Swann still get good reactions but compared to like, Full Sail (who go BONKERS for Swann in NXT), it's nothing. Still enjoy the show but I hope more casual fans get hooked and decide to stay.

NJPW spoilers:

Cody Rhodes just joined the Bullet Club and Los Ingobernables de Japon added Rush and now Hiromu Takahashi/Kamaitatchi and are stronger than ever.

WrestleKingdom 11 is gonna be insane.

NJPW is so cool. As an American who has no exposure to it, it's been the only Japanese promotion I'm remotely familiar with (I know there are others). I've looked up classic NJPW matches on Youtube. Anybody been following it for a long time?

Edited by somethingvinyl

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

NJPW is so cool. As an American who has no exposure to it, it's been the only Japanese promotion I'm remotely familiar with (I know there are others). I've looked up classic NJPW matches on Youtube. Anybody been following it for a long time?

Not for a long time (unfortunately) but I've been getting more and more into it ever since seeing WrestleKingdom 9 and every now and then, I try to catch up with the classics. It's become my favorite product, even above Lucha Underground. This year's G1 was absolutely nuts, there was a new MOTY candidate almost every day.

Btw what are you guys' favorite matches of the year? 2016 has been very good to pro wrestling as a whole, there's so much. I'll name ten and try to order them:

1. Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - Takeover Dallas
  2. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens - Battleground
  3. AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - WK10
  4. Kenny Omega vs. Tetsuya Naito - G1 26
  5. Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii - WK10
  6. AJ Styles vs. John Cena - SummerSlam
  7. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - WK10 (G1 rematch was great too)
  8. Kota Ibushi vs. Cedric Alexander - CWC
  9. The Revival vs. DIY - Takeover Toronto
  10. Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay - BOSJ

4 hours ago, Breezus said:

Not for a long time (unfortunately) but I've been getting more and more into it ever since seeing WrestleKingdom 9 and every now and then, I try to catch up with the classics. It's become my favorite product, even above Lucha Underground. This year's G1 was absolutely nuts, there was a new MOTY candidate almost every day.

Btw what are you guys' favorite matches of the year? 2016 has been very good to pro wrestling as a whole, there's so much. I'll name ten and try to order them:

2. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens - Battleground
  3. AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - WK10

Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens - Battleground
    AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - WK10

These 3 for sure. That Styles v Nakamura match at WK10 was one of the NJPW matches I watched after WWE signed Nakamura. Incredible

Edited by somethingvinyl

As for mine, I don't desire to make a list. But two things that I thought were great.

1. Royal Rumble match (Triple H gets an unnecessary but surprise win that I was not expecting and it prolonged the Reigns era for a couple months).
2. Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor at Summer Slam (Great match, Finn hurt himself and the crowd is crying poopoo because of the new Universal title look).

Edited by somethingvinyl

• 3 weeks later...

I was justing thinking about how nobody has posted here in a long time.

205 Live is fun. NXT has been incredible as well. Watched Raw for the first time in probably three months last night. I've been keeping up with results and stuff, but I was very disappointed. I'm gonna have to find a way to see WK. The card looks great.

1 hour ago, TheWindBlower said:

I was justing thinking about how nobody has posted here in a long time.

205 Live is fun. NXT has been incredible as well. Watched Raw for the first time in probably three months last night. I've been keeping up with results and stuff, but I was very disappointed. I'm gonna have to find a way to see WK. The card looks great.

NJPW deserves everyone's $10 at least one a year. It's pretty easy to sign up for NJPW World. If you're adamant on not paying for it then shoot me a PM and I can link you to some spots to help you watch for free.

So Raw is in NO next Monday and Smackdown is in Baton Rouge on Tuesday. I was going to take my son to Raw but he loves John Cena.  Originally, I was going to drive the 1.5 hours to BR to see Smackdown and skip Raw. BUT... The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels will both be making appearances. Now I have to go. I was at WM 30 here when Taker lost so I think this is just to set up something for WM. But, according to some dirt sheets, he might be in the Rumble. Here's an "article" that address both he and Michaels appearance next week:

http://www.inquisitr.com/3848782/shawn-michaels-raw/

Edited by somethingvinyl

10 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

I've never, ever seen a Kenny Omega match until now. But whenever I listen to shoot interviews, he's the one name constantly dropped. I'm sure WWE is scouting him and will bring him over in due time.

An interesting read: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/01/03/kenny-omega-new-japan-wwe-wrestle-kingdom

Allegedly, WWE has offered Omega contracts in '14, '15, and '16, and he's turned them all down. Sure, who knows what the situation will be when his next contract with NJPW is up, but I wouldn't be so sure that he'll ever crossover to WWE. I would love to see it though, mainly just because WWE is much more accessible than NJPW for me.