anyone ever work for Victory recs? how was it??

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every band that comes out and stands up against Victory gains a great deal of respect in my book. Of course, they already lost a good amount of respect for signing to Victory in the first place (five-album deal? Exclusive merch rights? LOL) and being a shitty band in general, so they're up to about "meh". Although, props to them for figuring out a way to retain their copyright on the publishing and recordings (assuming I'm reading this right). From what I've heard, Victory holds onto all that so they can continue to put out reissues and greatest hits from now until the end of time.

Since everyone hates victory and all their bands, will someone please sell me a copy of the Buried Alive - Death of your perfect world LP for super cheap?

haha.

best Vogel band. period

I agree. I loaded up the Last rites on my ipod the other day and completely forgot how great they were.

I still remember seeing them for the first time and being completely blown away. I believe it was when they toured with Boy Sets Fire and Snapcase. i think.

That is terrific. Can someone fill me in? What band that left Victory in a dispute eventually came back to "the fold"?

Taking Back Sunday still on a major (not them), Thursday went to Epitaph (not them), Hawthorne Heights went to Wind-Up and have now started a their own label (this is my best guess).

That counter-statement from Victory's lawyer has to be one of the most unprofessional and back-handed things i've ever read from a "legitimate" company. The entire tone of the statement just rubs me the wrong way.

That is terrific. Can someone fill me in? What band that left Victory in a dispute eventually came back to "the fold"?

Taking Back Sunday still on a major (not them), Thursday went to Epitaph (not them), Hawthorne Heights went to Wind-Up and have now started a their own label (this is my best guess).

I think Thursday sued to get off the label but ended up owing them an EP, so that's why they did Five Stories Falling.

wow interesting reads. unfortunately i too had not heard of a lot of the bands mentioned on pages 2 and 3. i started listening to music late around 15 or 16 and was listening to thursday and thrice. never knew about any of this with victory.

i am by all means no lawyer, but that letter seems truly unprofessional, informal, and just laughable.

i was in a band who played a fest we were approached by a label rep and got their (foil printed) business card, he said being at victory they only sign stuff that sells (knowing its generic) but he enjoyed our band and keep in touch. at a different music fest later victory was there handing out posters/samplers etc. one of my band mates defecated in the victory records bag at their table.

/coolstorybro

Thursday came back and released the Kill The House Lights CD/DVD with Victory in 2007.

Hawthorne Heights released Fragile Future with Victory in 2008 after they lost their lawsuit.

There's no doubt that Victory can help bands like this get extremely popular but there's also a very good chance that once you get that big you could get screwed over big time by them. Seems that every single band on that label thats gotten really big has ended up hating that label in the end.

If ADTR gets released from their contract they will have multiple major labels and multiple major merch companies bidding on them. Basically if Victory has to release them the band will almost instantly get rich.

There's no doubt that Victory can help bands like this get extremely popular but there's also a very good chance that once you get that big you could get screwed over big time by them. Seems that every single band on that label thats gotten really big has ended up hating that label in the end.

If ADTR gets released from their contract they will have multiple major labels and multiple major merch companies bidding on them. Basically if Victory has to release them the band will almost instantly get rich.

this is true but it is also why victory signs bands to very long contracts

Thursday came back and released the Kill The House Lights CD/DVD with Victory in 2007.

Hawthorne Heights released Fragile Future with Victory in 2008 after they lost their lawsuit.

This is pretty telling in terms of bands being near permanently stuck with Victory if they sign with them. I can't imagine the bitterness they felt losing a lawsuit and then having to go back and flog another record for the same folks.