anyone ever work for Victory recs? how was it??

i ask because they keep posting a job opening in their accounting department (clerk, not CPA) here in Chi, but i have no idea whether it would be an improvement on my current gig at a large, soulless corporation.

obviously Victory puts out a lot of garbage, but are they at least a cool place to work? or is it simply a faux-casual company whose product happens to be music?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure that you would (be) trading one soulless corporation for another

i'm "pretty sure" that's an as-yet-unfounded assumption. in fact, the whole point of this thread was to solicit facts to sway me one way or the other.

a shitty product does not necessarily equate to shitty people. i have plenty of AWESOME friends in AWFUL bands, for example.

so unless you happen to be hiring, IVWT...

Knowing many past and a few current employees of Victory, it's a joke. Tony is fucking crazy.

You cannot listen to anything but VR bands at work

competition label apparel is strongly frowned upon in the office.

there will be spyware programs installed on your computer tracing every keystroke you make, which Tony reviews.

You will get to witness Tony threaten to kill people over the phone, for things like wanting royalty statements or the "life or death scenario" of the internet going down.

also my former roommate who worked there for 4 years(an eternity in Victory Records land...with few exceptions) was fired for "lack of enthusiasm."

i ask because they keep posting a job opening in their accounting department (clerk, not CPA) here in Chi, but i have no idea whether it would be an improvement on my current gig at a large, soulless corporation.

obviously Victory puts out a lot of garbage, but are they at least a cool place to work? or is it simply a faux-casual company whose product happens to be music?

another dumb thread by this guy and it's not even vinyl related ::)

Knowing many past and a few current employees of Victory, it's a joke. Tony is fucking crazy.

there will be spyware programs installed on your computer tracing every keystroke you make, which Tony reviews.

You will get to witness Tony threaten to kill people over the phone, for things like wanting royalty statements or the "life or death scenario" of the internet going down.

also my former roommate who worked there for 4 years(an eternity in Victory Records land...with few exceptions) was fired for "lack of enthusiasm."

This can't be real. Or maybe it could be. Sounds just crazy enough to be reality.

This can't be real. Or maybe it could be. Sounds just crazy enough to be reality.

these are all things that happened.

my old roommate regularly got in trouble for the music he listened to at his desk, the Century Media backpack he carried, told me about the weekly screaming match phone calls Tony would have with bands and the internet company.

My friend Katrina was fired for the spyware tracking

I know at least 15 ex employees and they all can tell you similar stories. Go to a Terror show and ask Scott Vogel how many times Tony's threatened to kill him over the phone.

Anyone have video footage of the Screeching Weasel show where they get into a fight with Tony Brummel because Tony called them faggots or something. I remember someone selling a video copy of the show on eBay so I know it exists.

they got into a fight because Ben started talking shit about straight edge and Tony's hardcore band opened the show (I believe)

What about when Abby from Action Heights got framed (and subsequently fired) for street team stuff that was borderline racist and clearly Tony's idea? I believe it involved getting Hawthorne Heights at the top of the billboard charts and hiding NeYo CDs in stores so that "our music" would be taken back or something.

can you really get fired from an unpaid position?

Abby actually was a Victory employee, she was just in charge of running the street team (among other duties). She was awesome, and definitely did not deserve the crap that she got from that whole situation.

Also, my fiancee used to work at Victory, and she will confirm everything said in this thread as accurate (and there's plenty more where that came from, too).